Rear Leaf Springs

Maybe he wasn't taking into account that the centering pin is not in the center of the leaf pack lengthwise. The rear part of the spring is five inches longer than the front part.

I was just outside cleaning and painting a Metric Ton spring pack and pressing in new bushings. I have a question about the difference between a standard leaf pack and a Metric Ton leaf pack. Is the Metric Ton's overload spring the only difference? Don?

Where did you find the bushings?

I just got Moog bushings from Rockauto. Exactly the same as XJ bushings.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some great info I'm getting here. Thanks to all who have replied. Just wondering if anyone has ever used the Crown replacement springs I have been seeing on the internet? Or does anyone recommend a place to buy stock springs?

Call ahead before ordering and ask for Joe. Tell him you are a CC member for a discount.

http://www.generalspringkc.com/Leaf_Springs_Jeep_Comanche_s/1954.htm

Just a note for someone reading this later:

Decide what you want out of your truck before deciding on springs. If you use your truck as a truck and tow/haul with it then by all means use a heavier spring to aid in that. If you want a off-road truck where towing/hauling is of little to no importance to you in place of off-road performance than the lighter springs generally flex better. 

For those going SOA: Folks often remove the thick overload spring to adjust height. Remember that the overload is an aid in preventing axle wrap before you pull this leaf. There are those that will tell you that the overload leaf inhibits flex. While this may be true in an extreme compression situations remember that when SOA your springs have to be maxed (flattened) out before they even touch the overload. By then you probably have little if any flex left anyway and the overload leaf may save you from pretzeling your springs. You should probably have enough bump-stopping to stop the travel before it will compress the spring this far anyway. Research and decide for yourself but I think you would be doing yourself a favor to look into this before you make your decisions.

hornbrod, not trying to be problem but my springs were pulled off of stock Comanches. If you look at the date of the chart it was 3-23-86, they only had the long bed for the 86 model. Short bed came in 87 to the end of production. Most of the after market knows nothing about Comanches. My short bed springs are already pulled off and I don't have the rear frames anylonger. But I would like someone to take a pic of short bed springs under a truck with a tape measure beside them. Because I didn't realize they were different until I bought these and compared them. Thank you

Okay, below is a chart for the 3+2 MT springs - check the date. These charts are the build prints for all 1986-1992 MJs.

As far as taking a pic, someone else will have to do that - I don't own a short bed at present. You're not a problem mate, err, well, maybe just a little one.  :yes:   I don't blame you for wanting to know. But for sure, LWB and SWB use the same rear springs.

hornbrod, just went out in my shop, I thought both short bed I had got were the same so I dug them out. The earlier set were just like the long bed, so I checked the others. Evidently they were going to lower it, thy were Cherokee springs. My memory was wrong, they were two different spring sets. Sorry about that, but now I know they are the same long or short. Thank you, by the way Comanches Rule they are the best.

hornbrod, not trying to be problem but my springs were pulled off of stock Comanches. If you look at the date of the chart it was 3-23-86, they only had the long bed for the 86 model. Short bed came in 87 to the end of production. Most of the after market knows nothing about Comanches. My short bed springs are already pulled off and I don't have the rear frames anylonger. But I would like someone to take a pic of short bed springs under a truck with a tape measure beside them. Because I didn't realize they were different until I bought these and compared them. Thank you

The longbed and shortbed MJs all used the same length springs. There is no need to check anything.

Thanks again for the help. The springs are on the way. Bushings and new bushing bolts are here. Pick up u bolts Friday. I'm ready to work.

Where did  you order them from? Part#s?

Exactly. Everyone here looks at me weird, stops me, and tells me: "It's pronounced C H E R O K E E" whenever I want a part for my 'Manche.

The spring part #52000706AB  They are $94 a piece no bushing. I just bought the energy suspension bushing  kit so I would have the shackle one as well. If you order and sign up for the newsletter you get 10% off. I got both for $168.00 Free shipping.

52000706AB is a part number for Cherokee leaf springs.  I think you are going to find that those springs aren't going to be long enough, as the Comanche has longer leaf springs than the Cherokee.   Roughly, there is about a 6 inch difference in eye to eye measure along the arc of the spring.  No idea what the straight line distance is, but it is still a couple of inches off.  I recently replaced my springs and noticed that many parts companies online mistakenly list the Cherokee springs to work with the Comanche as well.

FWIW, I got my new leaf springs through sdtrucksprings.com  Although, they seem to have gone up in price since I purchased mine (or I managed to get them on sale).  The link to generalspringkc.com listed above looks to be a bit more affordable than sdtruck right now.  Same spring specs.

Some great info I'm getting here. Thanks to all who have replied. Just wondering if anyone has ever used the Crown replacement springs I have been seeing on the internet? Or does anyone recommend a place to buy stock springs?

Call ahead before ordering and ask for Joe. Tell him you are a CC member for a discount.

http://www.generalspringkc.com/Leaf_Springs_Jeep_Comanche_s/1954.htm

Exactly right. Oh well, I gave him the link to General Spring for the MJ springs. Maybe he can rent a spring stretcher from Autozone.

Thanks, bookmarked.

My springs are fine but I would like to change the bushings........guess you gotta swap the whole spring though........saw nothing on their site about bushings.

To hornbod as a staff member your kind of rude. And the company you suggested to call put me on hold for 25 min then hung up on me. I don't business with people who waste my time. I am sure every person on this forum has ordered a wrong part at some point in their life. But for you to comment the way you did to me was uncalled for. I did not come here for people to be an a$$hole to me, I came for help.  

To hornbod as a staff member your kind of rude. And the company you suggested to call put me on hold for 25 min then hung up on me. I don't business with people who waste my time. I am sure every person on this forum has ordered a wrong part at some point in their life. But for you to comment the way you did to me was uncalled for. I did not come here for people to be an a$$hole to me, I came for help.  

I gave you help, as I always try to do to members on this forum. Several members have ordered from the link I provided, a reliable source for rear springs, including myself, with no problems. Then you say I'm rude for speaking the truth because you ordered the wrong part w/o doing your homework. I'd never recommend any parts source w/o personal experience. You blew it man. Learn from your mistake.

Did you think that Don's comment about the AutoZone spring stretcher was rude? I actually thought it was pretty funny. :) Don is one of the most helpful and knowledgeable guys here. There are some rude guys in this forum, but Don is definitely not one of them. ;)

Cut the guy a little slack.  As a newbie to the Jeep world myself, searching for information can be a long, tedious, and often rather annoying process to get correct information.  I had ordered and re-ordered my transmission mount 3 times to get the one I actually needed.  Mostly because until I stumbled across a thread on the transmission mount bracket, I mistakenly thought the mount bolted to the transmission...which the one I had did have the right bolt pattern to do so.  Besides, I didn't see one person mention the difference in length, or website stupidity as a warning.to him either.  Sure, he could have found it on his own soon enough, but I went through the same confusion trying to order leaf springs even with successful searches that lead me in the right direction.

All of that being said though, you (the OP) definitely need to do a lot of reading and research on things before you buy parts.  With so many different types of jeeps, jeep forums, and constant forum traffic doing searches can be a rather frustrating affair sometimes.  It's best to become familiar with the specific differences between an MJ and XJ.   Luckily though, most of the real differences between an MJ and XJ are behind the cab.  Everything from the doors forward is the same. (at least mostly).

Hi guys,

My mostly stock '91 4x4 is sagging down on the front passenger side, and I had a guy recommend re-arching the leaf springs at a cost of $375.  I had another guy tell me his buddy could do it for around $200.  It seems to me that replacing them would be a better long-term solution.  My truck rides a bit higher than 2x4's I've seen, and i'd like to keep it as stock as possible.  Should I have the original springs re-arched, or buy new ones from General Spring like in Hornbrod's link?  What about Hell Creek?  Thanks for any advice.

Ross

I had a set of leaf springs re-arched years ago, not on an MJ, and the "new" arch only lasted a little over a year until they sagged back down even worse than before. I've read also of it happening to others here. So if possible, new springs are preferable if you can do it. And Tom at Hell Creek is a fair honest guy and is highly recommended in my book. I'm not sure he still makes stock MJ springs, so give him a call or send an email.  :thumbsup:

http://www.hellcreeksuspensions.com/