Fuel Pump. Which One?

Hey everyone, I am going to be replacing my fuel pump in the coming weeks to hopefully start driving the MJ. My current one is no doubt OEM and its as loud as a jet engine. Before it dies on me I just want to replace it for peace of mind. With that said, I know that some fit and some do not so I am hoping someone can link me to a fuel pump kit that includes the necessary seals for the MJ. The Jeep is a 90 4.0. Looking on Advance Auto and AutoZone's websites were not helpful as they list a bunch of different ones that customer reviews label as "does not fit" yet the site says "exact fit." Thanks a ton in advance and this makes me one step closer to driving her. Not to mention the fuel pump is so loud with the Leer cap on the back you cannot hear yourself think. Thanks!

RockMJ

I have the same problem, it's pretty loud after a long drive. Except mine is a 2.5 from 86. I hope you don't mind if I tag along in your topic, I've searched but found nothing conclusive.

Also, I like your avatar picture.

When I got my airtex fuel pump a 2 years ago it came with all the bells and whistles except the fuel sending unit o-ring and metal seal to fulle seat the unit in the tank....

A lot of guys would say that the Bosch units are top of the line for these trucks and are quiet

I had read that the Bosch one was not a direct replacement and had issues with the connections or something similar? I cannot seem to find the thread regarding it, but I had read that from a few sources. My fuel pump is so loud you can hear it in the cab so my best guess is its on its last legs. Hoping someone has some information about what fits and what doesnt, but if the Bosch works I would certainly do that one! And not a problem tagging along man, we are all here to gain knowledge. Thanks for the avatar compliments as well!

RockMJ

I agree with the Bosch brand, but I have heard that its not a direct fitment and there are connection issues? Has anyone experienced this first hand or done the Bosch one without issue? Anyone have experience with Delphi or this "direct replacement"? It looks to be a complete assembly with seals and all. 

Delphi Complete Fuel Pump Assembly

RockMJ

What you're running into is the tools that run the websites list the same sending unit as the Cherokee as fitting the Comanche. Such is not the case. That is an XJ Fuel Pump Assembly and will not fit. You cannot buy an MJ Fuel Pump Assembly from a parts store anymore. All you can get are the bits that go on the assembly (fuel pump and wiring harness and hoses and clamps by themselves) which is the same between the 2 vehicles.

If you want to replace the whole sending unit, some members here have had success by replacing the tank with a 22gal unit from a early 90s Dakota and using the Dakota's assembly as well.

Okay, not a problem, but with all that said I still do not know which ones will fit. I had that full unit sent to the store for pickup so can I take the necessary parts from it and fit them to the MJ one? Or should I call the store and tell them to forget it. If thats the case, can someone please post up a link to one that will work? I spent a few hours tonight trying to cross reference parts and looking through posts on here to track one down. Basically, if I can gut that XJ one and put the parts into the MJ one I am fine with that. Let me know what you think. Thanks a ton.

RockMJ

I Just installed a Carter on mine a couple of months ago (Part # P74155).  Perfect fit and no hassles..  I will always chose Carter over other brands if I have the option.  I will say this though, Carter fuel pumps are not known as the quietest pumps on the market, so don't be surprised if you still hear a slight noise from the pump running when outside the vehicle near the tank.  I don't hear it in the cab though, which is nice.

BTW, if you purchase the Carter fuel pump kit, get it off of RockAuto.  $61.20 + shipping vs. the $108 for that summit listing. :thumbsup:

P.S. Do yourself a favor and order a replacement lock ring when you order the pump.  They aren't super expensive, and if you end up damaging yours getting it off like mine ended up being, you will be glad you have it.

Alright guys, thanks a million times over for the part numbers! I ended up going with that Bosch unit because I had a credit on Amazon that knocked it down cheaper than the Carter. I did get that lock ring kit and Airtex strainer (didnt have the Bosch one) for dirt cheap on Amazon. The electrical connector on the Bosch setup is different than the oem setup but it does not look like it will cause any issues. Looks like it includes a piece for the connector that holds the connections together. Thanks for the help guys, and for the future I will be doing a small write up as well with part numbers and what not to help everyone out. Thanks again.

Part Numbers:

Bosch    69302 Fuel Pump Kit

Airtex     FS104 Fuel Pickup Kit

Spectra LO01   Lockring Kit w/Seal

RockMJ

Yeah, the Bosch pump unit comes with an upgraded wiring harness. And sounds like a winning plan. Lots of pictures be good.

Absolutely. I should have everything by the end of next week and I will take as many pictures as my fingers will snap. 

RockMJ

Don't forget to make sure the rubber nipple is on the end of the sending unit. They sometimes fall off when removing the sender. And without it you will get more vibration. Also probably harder on the sender.

Don't forget to make sure the rubber nipple is on the end of the sending unit. They sometimes fall off when removing the sender. And without it you will get more vibration. Also probably harder on the sender.

Excellent advice, thank you! 

RockMJ

There is no OEM for this app.  Never has been never will be.  EVERYHING you try will have to be boogered around with to get it to work and then no matter what you do it will be noisier than the original.  The rubber is too hard, the pump length doesn't match the hanger, the electrics are different, the strainer sock is a pure rig, the size makes it impossible to reuse the OEM rubber and in my case the Carter I got didn't have the correct rubber isolation spacers supplied.  When I tried the Airtech it was identical to the Carter.  I am now back to the original AMC Bosch.  26 years old but at least it works...quietly, for a while anyway.  That seating nipple on the bottom of the return line is important for quietness though.  Fish around for it if it came off while pulling the hanger through the access hole.  Don't loose it.  Same with the strainer sock.  The OEM is brass, not cheap plastic, and can be reversed flushed and reused it it will fit on the intake end of the pump you decide to buy.

Great, and I had picked up the Bosch because it was recommended. This is where the confusion comes from and hopefully doing a write up on the process to hopefully clear things up for those in the future. So far without even taking a thing apart the frustration level is elevated. I guess at this point I can just hope for the best that the parts will go together properly.

RockMJ

There is no OEM for this app.  Never has been never will be.  EVERYHING you try will have to be boogered around with to get it to work and then no matter what you do it will be noisier than the original.  The rubber is too hard, the pump length doesn't match the hanger, the electrics are different, the strainer sock is a pure rig, the size makes it impossible to reuse the OEM rubber and in my case the Carter I got didn't have the correct rubber isolation spacers supplied.  When I tried the Airtech it was identical to the Carter.  I am now back to the original AMC Bosch.  26 years old but at least it works...quietly, for a while anyway.  That seating nipple on the bottom of the return line is important for quietness though.  Fish around for it if it came off while pulling the hanger through the access hole.  Don't loose it.  Same with the strainer sock.  The OEM is brass, not cheap plastic, and can be reversed flushed and reused it it will fit on the intake end of the pump you decide to buy.

Aside from the noise of the Carter, which is something all Carter pumps are known for, Mine required no hodge podge, bodge jobs, or other such alterations of any kind.  It fit the hanger perfectly, wired up just like stock, and everything fit - even the rubber isolation rings.  About the only thing I had to do was trim up the 90 degree rubber fuel line that comes with the kit to make the pump sit more level in the hanger, and that was my own OCD at work.

Yes, you hear the pump outside the truck just enough that you can notice it.  However, inside my cab, my cab with no carpet or headliner or any sound proofing of any kind mind you, I don't hear it at all.

• 2 weeks later...

will the carter P74155 work well for my 88 Comanche 4.0 if it need replacing?

Also what fuse should I check before pulling the tank?

The pump was working and now it is not so I want to check the fuse for the pump first then go from there.

Thanks!

I have a 1988 4.0.  I used said Carter pump kit.  Read the post above yours (mine) to know.

I never saw a fuse on the pump circuit (not known to me at least) but the fuel pump relay is found on the passenger side inner fender and would be worth checking. If you have a test light (or multimeter), you could probe the power wire at the connector under the truck and see if you are getting voltage back to the pump.  That would narrow it down.  It could be your pump relay as well.

This diagram shows it in the second position closest to the battery, but I have seen some diagrams that put it in the third (called power latch relay in picture) which swaps the two around. 

182111d1363815515t-1988-comanche-issue-r

OK, Well on this subject I have a question, I am pulling a 2.8 and installing a 4.0 (1998) yr model from a donor Cherokee. Will the electric pump fit in my tank or will I have to “Develop” a solution on my own? Will the Cherokee tank fit under the Comanche? I am thinking this will be the biggest challenge of the project. Oh mine is a 1986 4X4 with auto, going back auto.