$700 Off Road Capable 5.5" Soa Lift

Got the Rusty's braided front brake hoses on. Got the front brakes on. Got the front shocks on but they require pressing out the original bushings and inserting the news ones that came with the BPE kit. Got the Aussie in the rear. Slapped on the rims/tires

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the Rusty's braided front brake hoses on. Got the front brakes on. Got the front shocks on but they require pressing out the original bushings and inserting the news ones that came with the BPE kit. Got the Aussie in the rear. Slapped on the rims/tires

What size tires are those 31x10.5??

• 2 weeks later...

I will eventually go bigger on the tires but I want to beef up the D30 first. It seems the most common tire for a 5"-5.5" lift on an XJ/MJ is a 33 so I am only giving up a half inch of ground clearance. The rear only gave me 5" of lift with the 2wd springs. I can't wait to get it out on the trail as playing around with a jack in the driveway seems to promise some good flex out of those springs, though. The 5.5" front springs just took a little of the rake away. Again the body trimming makes the lift look taller.

I bet I ended up with almost 7 in the rear and 5.5 in the front so I threw some 1 and 3 quarter spacers up front after almost killing myself with some autozone coil compressors hahah but I threw some 31's on them cause I had them laying around

• 1 month later...

So I got it 95% complete and I have driven it a couple of hundred miles. The ride is better than stock and the steering response is nice. It tracks very true and you can remove your hands from the wheel at speed. There is no "dartiness." Highway speeds are drama free.

I will fill in some goodies later but here is the first test of the installed lift. I took the truck to a local jeep meet & greet and used the standard RTI ramp.

I was a little disappointed with the front flex until a buddy told me that they did not stop me when a rear tire lifted but when my front tire was even with that of the TJU (LJ) next to me for a photo op. If you look at the top of the pic the LR tire ( the most likely to lift) on the LJ is at an angle and had lifted and settled back. My RRear ( also the most likely to lift) is sitting flat. My LFront tire is not very stuffed, either. I am pretty sure it has some more flex in it. The rear seems plenty flexy. For reference the LJ has a Teraflex 4" lift kit + a 1" body lift and is on 33's (255/85/16 + 33.5). I think the 2wd leafs vs. aftermarket rear TJ suspension are holding their own.

Even if there is nothing left in it flex-wise I am not disappointed. Short arms in the stock locations can't flex?  

• 3 weeks later...

Easiest hill

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
<div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1531520057069204" data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1531520057069204">Post</a> by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/sabrina.greene.106">Sabrina Greene</a>.</div></div>

it will be interesting to see how well the fixed lowers "center" the axle with 5.5 springs and no drop brackets...

About like this:

Is that "centered" enough for ya?  :thumbsup:

As the suspension cycles down the axle arcs rearward. Works great. As the suspension cycles upwards the axle arcs forward. Works great.  Although I posted looking for more flex I would point out that it does RTI as well as an LJ with a $1,200 lift.

• 5 months later...

Sadly, this $700 constraint is no longer relative.  Like Alexia's $575 lift, many of the prices of the noted parts have went up exponentially.  I just did a quick list of stuff to do a SOA rear + front lift and I am closer to $1,000...  That's not even including tires, either... :fs1:

The truck performs pretty well for a daily drive-able level rig. it has zero bumpsteer/DW issues. You can go down the highway at 75 mph with one finger on the wheel. Drive 100 miles, wheel all day, and drive it back home.

As I was reminded RTI results and 'wheeling results can be two different things.  i have posted these before:

Stuffed 32" tire

Rear had plenty of flex left

front droop....short arms/no CAD. I have a pic with more droop showing if I can get the guy to send it to me

But I wouldn't have any droop with short arms and 5.5" of lift so many said.... It may not be the best of the best but it works.

suspension working overs some ruts

This truck honestly drives as well as it did stock.

Sadly, this $700 constraint is no longer relative.  Like Alexia's $575 lift, many of the prices of the noted parts have went up exponentially.  I just did a quick list of stuff to do a SOA rear + front lift and I am closer to $1,000...  That's not even including tires, either... :fs1:

Actually you can still get all the parts in alexia's list, for within +/- $50 of the original total price.

I actually spent a little bit getting updated prices & Linking him the correct links (Most were just expired links that they changed) But i guess he didnt want to update his list or something.

All the items can be found with a few minutes of googling @ their original prices.

You are right there. The springs have more than doubled in price!

Depends where you get them from, They are still the original prices at a few places, amazon included.