Identify This Transmission

jimoshel

Confirmed. The transmission is a T5 and it and the TC is from a 1985 S10. I had my doubts about the T5 being strong enough to back a diesel. The tranny and TC had been moved backed approx. 5 inches. Notice the modified driveshaft.

I agree, the T5 is pretty stout. A buddy of mine had one in an 85 Mustang, pushing around 500HP. It held up to drag race use for several years. The car caught fire and burned and was scrapped, but as far as I know the tranny was still holding up.

The Nissan motor you've got it set up to is only going to put out at most 65hp and 110 lb-ft, and that's being generous. I don't think I'd worry too much about it.

Possibly of interest to you, in looking up those numbers, I found this:

SD22Performances1-r.jpg

Apparently it's from the SD22 sales brochure. It looks like a very poor attempt at metricificating the numbers... PS, ze German Horsepower, is for all intents and purposes the same as a "regular" horsepower unit (hp is ~0.5% smaller) but seriously, who the hell uses "kilogram-meters" for torque?  :doh:

Also, I'd take that fuel consumption curve with a grain of salt. You might get the best economy out of the engine near the lower part of the curve, but mpg mostly depends on load. Not to mention it's in units of grams per horsepower-hour.

Use the bar code scanner app on your smart phone.......

Good idea!

I just googled Warner 13-53 (WG = Warner Gear, aka Borg-Warner) and came up with hits that confirm T-5.

Two ways to get to the same place. :thumbsup:

FWIW, that one would've been behind a 2.8V6 and is NOT a World Class T-5, and like the T-5's that came in CJ's in the early 80's don't like high torque applications.  (The CJ version is considered marginal at best behind the 258 and not recommended for V8 swaps.)

Use the bar code scanner app on your smart phone.......

I refuse to own a piece of equipment that's smarter than I am. I don't have a smart phone. Doing good just to have a regular ol' cell phone, which I'm still trying to figure out how to use. :hmm:

T5s were meant for 4cyls.  I had a 65 mustang and stupid me swapped the T10 four speed for a T5 for the overdrive.  It had a warmed up 289 and would break a T5 at will and it wasn't really that strong of a motor, maybe 250 hp.  I went through 4 or 5 of em.  But I was also thought I was Mario Andretti slamming gears back then, too young and stupid to take care of my stuff.  They'd probably last just fine behind a stock 4.0 with a mature driver.

yeah, guess I had the cheap and weak ones.  Last one was a world class so I was told when I bought it, broke it too,,,,,,because I flat towed it without a driveshaft and drained it dry, then drove it like Steve McQueen with a 68' Charger on his heels.  Like I said, I wasn't too smart with the clutch 22 years ago.  Good times, I hate breakin stuff now.