Has Anyone Lifted A 2Wd Comanche?

Just wondering if anyone here has done this. I am in the process of installing ZJ upcountry coils in the front of my 1987 2.5, and have run into some weird stuff. For example, my trackbar won't fit anymore, and even at full droop, my coils are still firmly in place, unlike my 94 2wd ZJ. That Heep has a set of 1" OMR coils and a pair of 3/4" spacers, and when flexed out, the coils come loose. Shouldn't the ZJ and MJ front end be essentially the same? Do ZJ controk arms and track bars have a substantial difference to the stuff under my MJ?

ZJ,XJ,MJ track bars and control arms are all the same.

2wd drive axles are the same except for the mid 92 and older have normal 2wd spindles and 92 and newer have the same unit bearings as the 90-98 4wd they just have a stub where the outer shaft goes.

Your sway bar is probably what's limiting the travel on your front end.

You need to make sure your axle is centered left to right and then see how far your track bar is off, may have to go to an adjustable one.

ZJ up country springs will give you a few inches over the stock 2wd springs.

Droop could also be limited by the upper control arms hitting a little lip just below the frame side bracket.

As for the track bar not fitting anymore, have a helper sit in the truck, and with their feet firmly planted on the break pedal so the front wheels don't want to turn use the steering wheel to shift the truck left or right over the axle until the track bar lines up with the bolt holes.

Yes, shocks would do it too. I know the stock ones were a quite bit shorter than the replacements I put in.

I'm running a ZJ sway bar with ZJ front springs with an XJ 3.5 lift spring in the rear with the eyes cut off stuffed between the main and overload springs.

It handles way better than any of my stock XJ's. It's running the Goodyear GS-A  30/9.50/15's on TJ Ravines. It has plenty of room for 31's maybe 32's.

There's no way I'd run it without a sway bar. My 92 short bed has no sway bar and while it does ok off road there isn't enough improvement to not run one on a daily driver.

Especially with the availability of disconnects.

Better yet grab one off a ZJ. My 92 long bed corners really flat.

Having 4" overall track width increase over stock doesn't hurt any either.

Even better get an ADDCO 570 1-1/8" dia. MJ bar. Much better than the ZJ V8 bar it replaced. Couple it with a a quick ratio ZJ steering gear box and it's flatline.

Nice. Never been called stupid by a moderator before. Way to stay classy. I never said this vehicle is my daily. FWIW, I've run my 2wd ZJ on and off roaf with a locked 8.8 in the back, the springs I mentioned, Bilstein remote reservoir shocks, 32" BFG KM2's, and.... no sway bars both on and off road all over the west Texas and Southern New Mexico area. I've had ZERO issues with that set up. It's very comfortable around town and on long trips and is VERY stable in the dunes and while bombing down desert roads and washes at speed.

BTW, I removed the shocks when I had the front beam hanging in the air, and found the cause of the limited droop. The bolts holding thr control arms to the body seemed to have been overtightened, and the bushings seemed to have seized. A few cans of PB Blaster and much swearing later.... my MJ is now lifted 3" over what it was before, is now sporting new Energy Suspensio bushings in the control arms, and is sporting a set of 31" BFG KO's on 15x8 aftermarket wheels.

Nice. Never been called stupid by a moderator before. Way to stay classy.

Did not say you were stupid. Obviously you are not. But ditching your sway bar and driving out on the road with all the idiots out there is a stupid idea. I'll stick to that mate. Maybe in the desert it's okay. I wouldn't know.

A properly tuned and designed suspension that takes into account a vehicle's center of gravity, roll center, and weight transfer characteristics doesn't really need sway bars. On a race car, maybe, if only to be able to tune over and understeer characteristics. On a normal street car? No need.

Air cooled VW Beetles from the 60's and 70's had a front sway bar. Those cars weighed around 1500 lbs tops for the later models. If they benefited from one there must be something to it, especially for a heavier vehicle.  If there was no benefit, the mfg's would not install them. The added cost and weight make it it a loss in profit and fuel milage if there is no benefit. Just my 2 cents, Ill stick with mine. 

Since when was the VW Beetle intended to do anything at speed?

Your MJ's suspension was designed to be run with that front sway bar. Without it, is it "A properly tuned and designed suspension that takes into account a vehicle's center of gravity, roll center, and weight transfer characteristics"? Considering the fact that there's a track bar on the front axle, not to mention that whole solid axle thing, I can state with reasonable confidence that very little thought was actually given to on road dynamics. Your MJ's suspension is intended for off-road use (ground clearance, suspension travel, and durability) and the sway bar is one of the few things that make it functional on the road. Come the next time an idiot cuts you off, or something (or someone) wanders out onto the road, and you have to swerve to avoid a collision, you'll find yourself experiencing quite a bit of body roll due to all the things that make your MJ decent when not on the road. I'm sure you know what happens when you have too much body roll, let alone the fact that suddenly you have significantly less traction.

For the sake of your MJ, please put the sway bar back on. Just because all of the different strokes aren't always wrong doesn't mean all of them are right. None of us here want to see your MJ on it's roof, wrapped around a tree, inside a small child, or anywhere else you didn't intend to put it. You shouldn't either.

If you really want to disconnect your sway bar for offroading, and don't want to spring for disconnects, you can unbolt the bottom of the end link and swing it up out of the way, ziptie or wire it in place. Then be sure to bolt it back up before getting back on the road.

Lol...So how many of you that are preaching to leave your sway bars on have driven a car without them? It's really not as big of a deal as you all make it out to be. haha and I guess none of you are on xj/mj proud... hahaha

There is too much Obama-ing going on here. If he does want to run them then so be it. He's an adult. If I don't want to wear my seat belt then so be it. If he knows how his truck is going to react and he knows there is going to be extra body roll then he'll be fine. We all drive Comanches. Youre not batman nor do you have the batmobile. So don't drive like you are/ have it and you'll be fine. imo..

But we really should get back on topic lol

The only reason your trackbar shouldnt fit, is that it is too short. Try pushing the front end over and see if it fits then, sometimes the front seems to shift a little to one side of the other getting it out of "alignment"

Yes, I have driven a car with and without the sway bar attached. It made the difference between cornering level and shattering expensive carbon fiber bodywork every time you turned the wheel. Oh, and that thing where you don't make it around the corner...