Jim's 88 Mj Pioneer, "the Beast"

Well finally got around to fixing the fuel leak that I got after fixing the sending unit. Had to replace the o-ring and lockring. Hopefully I'm done fixing things on it for a while so I can save the money for my 4x4 swap and lift kit.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got a factory switch plate for my fog lights. So much better than the cheap aftermarket ones that i was using

old switches                                                                                                                     

New Switches

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Truck has been at a stand still for the last year. Went to basic training thanksgiving of last year and then 6 months of tech school, and now I'm stationed in japan. Slowly ordering parts for my truck so when i go home and open the garage it will be like christmas. Planning on going with 3.55 axle ratios, chrystler 8.25 rear axle with zj disc brakes, nv3550 trans with 231 t case, v8 zj limited variable rate coil springs, hells creek metric ton leaves, 31s, and working on building a motor. 4.0 bored .030 over, with 4.2 crank and rods. should be about a 4.6 if I'm not mistaken. havent decided if i want to swap to wj front brakes or not. Not an off road rig but itll be a work horse of a DD. 

• 1 year later...

Well here it is 2 years later. Finally got to spend some time at home for Christmas and work on my projects a little. Apparently my misfire that ive had in the beast was because the distributor was never installed properly, and the clamp loosened up and it kept jumping. Got the distributor reset, and indexed properly and its never run so well. Next project is to part out the 88 4x4 i bought and use the 4x4 parts for the conversion on "the beast". Feels good to be back to working on my jeeps. up to 3 comanches, a wj and a yj.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally started my 4x4 swap. and my stroker build. Pulled the engine and trans out of my donor, got the trans cleaned up, and installed into my truck, and got my motor stripped down and sent to HESCO to be prepped. Didnt realize how bad the 2wd trans in my truck was until i put the 4x4 trans in and all the whining went away and the clutch pedal feels better and it shifts so much smoother. Still want to ditch the ba10 for an ax15 for nv3550 but it will work for now. still need to get the front diff out of the donor, and order my 1piece axle shaft to delete the CAD. But I'm finally making progress. My truck has never ran and driven so well.

In the garage getting ready for a new trans.

Donor Truck

Engine and Trans Out of the Donor Truck

4x4 Trans

Transfercase

Cleaned up ready to be installed

Old 2wd boat anchor out

Motor all torn down ready to go to HESCO for machining. Every single rod bearing was spun.

Still got a long way to go. need to figure out floor pans because my driverside is almost completely gone and eats starting to eat the tunnel so I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to install the brackets for the t case linkages. Only 6 more months left in japan then back to the states and i can work on her a whole lot more.

Well i needed new mirrors anyway. And they were about the same price so i figured why not. I'm happy with them. They stick out a little further so i can see a bit more. I will probably end up doing something like that with my floor

Well i needed new mirrors anyway. And they were about the same price so i figured why not. I'm happy with them. They stick out a little further so i can see a bit more. I will probably end up doing something like that with my floor

Haha "something like that", only better looking I hope!

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...

Back at it again. I finished my tour in Japan and now I'm in sunny Florida. Got settled in my new house and not a week later the internal slave went out again. So i went out and got a 94 2door xj 4x4 5 speed to finish my 4x4 swap and finally ditch the ba10 for an ax15. Also get my block and head back this week from the machine shop to start building my 4.6 stroker for it. I got myself a new daily driver so the comanche can be in full blown project status. Its a shame the body on the xj is so rough because ive always liked them but for $700 that runs and drives i think its a perfect donor.

FB_IMG_1510679119447.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Clutch kit came in, ordered a conversion pilot bushing from Novak that is supposed to adapt the newer external slaved ax15 to the older 4.0 and 4.2 cranks. I just need the weather to cooperate so that i can finish pulling the trans out of the donor xj and get installed in the comanche. Then i can get started rebuilding and regearing the 8.25 to go in it.

20171208_2147581_zpso9xbijqq.jpg

Getting my donor stripped down. time tor start getting the pieces cleaned up and ready to put in the comanche. External slaved ax15, 231 t-case to be degunked and painted, dana 30 to get 3.55 gears and an eaton e locker, 8.25 rear to get perches moved to go in the comanche, 3.55s, posi trac, and zj discs. time to get started again. feels good to start working on it again and seem like I'm making progress.

Motor trans out of the donor

20171209_1710031_zpsdtpwlq08.jpg

Time to start building some axles

20171210_1028211_zpsgfeidsgr.jpg

Out with the old BA/10

20171209_1730471_zpsxxdffyjf.jpg

Time for degunk and a coat of paint for the new (to me) ax15

20171210_1721231_zpsfgx3z7d8.jpg

Planning on V8 zj coil springs, steering and sway bar, metric ton spring from general spring, and rancho rs5000 shocks all the around

• 3 weeks later...

Well due to an unexpected blown head gasket on my daily, the trans swap got put on a rush. External slave, Ax15 is installed, shifts like butter but it leaks like a sieve. I'm hoping i just overfilled it but someone i don't think I'm that lucky given my track record as of late. Still have alot to do but she is back on the road...for now 

• 5 years later...