Jim's 88 Mj Pioneer, "the Beast"

My uncle bought this truck brand new in 1988. Fall of 2001 he hit a deer and parked the truck in his garage where it sat until June of 2013 when he gave it to me in pieces. Defiantly quite a project for a 17 year old to take on but well worth it. its an 88 Comanche pioneer swb, 2wd, 4.0 I6, 5 speed with almost no rust. Motor got rebuilt in 2006ish by my uncle, he wrapped it up in 8 or 9 layers of plastic and duct tape and set it in the bed of the truck and it stayed there until i got it.

Here she is all cleaned up

Here is some of the boxes i got with the truck

Got the motor all unwrapped, now its time to go through it

Had a couple friends give me a hand finishing getting the motor put together and ready to get put in

Engine and trans are mated and ready to go in!

Its all hooked up and has spark so now to clean out the gas tank. It was half full with gas from 2001 and the tank rusted from the inside out. New tank for $93 on ebay.

The sending unit doesn't look to promising but dad and i got it to work

Got the new tank it got fuel up to the rail and now i don't have spark. Stupid coil went bad...although after sitting for 12 years i probably should have expected that one.

Went out to the jy and found me a factory chief roll bar for $50 that i just couldn't pass up. Makes the truck look so much better!

Got the front end all put together and it is on the road!

Got the jeep In action. Took it to my aunt and uncles farm

Still got a long way to go but came a long way in 4 months. Still gotta get a new front bumper, tires, figure out why it has a misfire and high idle. Eventually it will get 4wd and some other things but i will probably drive it forever.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my new full cluster in the mail to replace my old 1/2 cluster on ebay for $40

got the mileage turned back to the correct mileage

old idiot light cluster

Got the new cluster in and the new sending unit for the oil pressure gauge. (has pretty good oil pressure) Now i need to change the coolant temp sender.

Does anyone know the part number for the coolant temp sending unit for the gauge? I found a couple online at advanced but it doesn't say whether or not it is for a light or a gauge.

I got my knew injectors and regulator in. Got a set of rebuilt Bosch 3, 4 hole injectors for $100 on eBay.  Runs a lot better now but i still have a high idle and slight miss. I'm thinking it might have something to do with my tps since its off of an 89 with an automatic that looks like it was running like $#!& judging by the shape the throttle body was in before I cleaned it but i gotta run a compression check to make sure its not something more serious. I'm still having an issue holding pressure. I have a constant 30 psi at idle but as soon as I shut the truck off it drops off to nothing in about 30 seconds. it holds a tiny amount of pressure at the rail but not enough to show on my gauge. Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

Well I got it running good. Still not 100% because i think i got bad rings because i have half the compression i should and when i put oil in the cylinders it goes up about 20psi but it gets me from point a to point b at 15mpg city. Got new tires at walmart on sale for 74.50 ea. out the door mounted, balanced with road hazard for $408. Got some new speakers, got my headlight trim pieces and side markers on, just ordered my bumper and my 2" budget lift kit shipped to the door for $68. its coming together.

Image Not Found

• 2 weeks later...

Not bad. Truck defiantly drives a lot better. Ive had these tires on my Dakota, my f150, and my durango. they are a good aggressive looking tire that isn't so hard on the wallet...haven't tried them off the pavement yet

• 2 months later...

Been a while since ive posted. Been really busy but the jeep took her first road trip at Easter from NW Indiana 700 miles down I65 to Birmingham Al loaded down with a bunch of stuff and still got 20 mpg the whole way!! Finally got a bumper be fore the trip. last week I coated the fender flares and from the trim line down with rustolium spay bed liner, put the roll in liner in the bed, on my roll bar, sprayed the grille, headlight doors, and the louvers behind the doors with bed liner, hopefully going to mount the roll bar and run the wiring for when i get fog lights when it stops raining, and spray the bumpers with the bed liner stuff.

bumper on, bed loaded and ready for the trip

coated the flares and rockers

Bed liner in and trim pieces coated

I found it out at the junkyard i paid $65 for it and they even pulled it for me!! I mounted it today and got fog lights mounted and wired in...it looks awesome. still got to put the ones on the front bumper. will post some pics tomorrow . the cap is going to go up for sale in the not too distant future if anyone knows of someone looking for on for a shortbed.

Just bought a running parts truck! 86 xls long bed 4x4 4cyl 5 speed. clutch is messed up and the brakes don't work. I think I'm going to pull the trans and see what went wrong with the clutch replacement and get it going to drive around while i paint my 88 and then ill take the parts i need and part the rest out. anyone ever swap in cruise control, and a/c?

I see the addiction's got you too. These stupid little trucks tend to multiply. :doh:  No clue on adding cruise control, but there have been a few threads recently about adding A/C. Here's one (click). I've been wondering about cruise control myself recently.

Off topic, but is that an Impala in the background?

well pulled the trans out of the 86 today, looks like either the fork shifted when the PO put the trans in or he put the fork in backwards. How is the fork actually supposed to go in? is there a retainer clip or something that is supposed to hold it in place? id like to get it ready to put back together tomorrow so i can test the t-case and trans. After all that i had to give the beast some attention. I painted the grill with bedliner by mistake instead of flat black earlier this week and liked it so must i painted the headlight trim and louvers with bedliner too. Mounted my roll bar a couple days ago and got my lights on it. got another set for the front bumper after it gets the bedliner. hopefully that will get done tomorrow and paint my hitch. Put new bulbs in my parking lights so hopefully they will work now and put new sockets in for my headlights so my high beams work now. The next thing will be painting the center console out of the 86 and figure out what to do about the bucket seats since they are red and my 88s interior is gray. Is it hard to swap in a tilt column and change the ignition tumbler and steering wheel?

Just bought a running parts truck! 86 xls long bed 4x4 4cyl 5 speed for $800. clutch is messed up and the brakes don't work. I think I'm going to pull the trans and see what went wrong with the clutch replacement and get it going to drive around while i paint my 88 and then ill take the parts i need and part the rest out. anyone ever swap in cruise control, and a/c?

00D0D_1LkjVyybcR0_600x450.jpg00i0i_c2SpJAH2D5O_600x450.jpg

00l0l_dTsWnSxNXN5_600x450.jpg

10312715_655020797909610_243885014415059

10457884_655020847909605_409445168026635

I've been looking for a set of wheels like the ones on your parts truck.  Let me know if you decide to part with em.