A/c Retrofit In An 86 2.5L?

Hey folks

I tried to run a search but no success. Has anyone retrofitted ac into their 86 with the i4 2.5l?

What should I be looking for (shopping list) to make it happen?

I checked out jeep air but they don't have any kit or decent lists for the Cherokee or Comanche just wranglers (don't know why they advertise they have a.c. for all jeeps if that's the case)

Thanks ;)

Find a 88 in the JY for bracketry.

Go to Rockauto and look up 88 Comanche AC and you will find all parts less the brackets.

You will also relocate  your alt below the AC compressor.

I suggest the 88 because you are more likely to find the brackets.....also beware of hood clearance.

My guess is if you do the work........have a shop vacuum it down and install freon.......$800 to $900.

I did this a couple years ago. I had a '86 MJ, WO Air, and a '86 XJ W/AC sitting side by side, both 2.5 so it was just a matter of swapping parts. Took most of the day but I wasn't in a hurry so wasn't pushing it.

Cool I retrofitted a TJ before but those ares dime a dozen. Just got to find another 86 xj.

Jeep driver - do you mean 88 YJ?

No, XJ or MJ.

85-86s are different, I posted a pic in the other AC thread here.

There is not a 85-86 within 400 miles of me that is being parted out (only three complete for sale and none are running), I look nearly daily as I'd like to buy an 85 XJ.

88 MJs with 2.5 are still plentiful by comparison, you may be looking for a year or more for a 86 donor.

I just put ac in a cj7 and I'm doing a j10 right now. Both kits were from vintage air and were really user friendly. The 84-86 are unique beasts and are hard to find parts for used. The compressor, mount and hvac box are pretty much the same for all 2.5 MJs. Your issue will come from finding a used condenser and lines. You will have to more than likely buy them new.

Condensors ares like rads and lines are like any line I don't think I'd want to buy used too many headaches ahead. I'll check out the vintage air option. Being in Ontario I was lucky enough to find an 86 and should have bought a lotto ticket when I found two

I did this to my 87 with some parts from an 86 2.8 and bought used compressor brackets to mount that. I had to make some of the harness to make it work. In my 87 there is a connector for "dealer installed AC" that I connected what wiring I didn't have to. The under dash connector for the HVAC box already had the wires in it I needed for the new HVAC box and wiring to work. I transferred the whole HVAC box with cables and control head all together and plugged it right in. The wiring I didn't have I made following the wiring diagram in the downloadable 88 factory service manual. It works great but leaks down within a years time. I can live with that. Good luck with yours.

The HVAC box, condensor, and all lines will work at least to 87 I know. The 86 2.8 V6 and 86 -87 2.5 use the same radiator and condensor so a condensor and lines from an 86 2.8 will also be an option. And when I was doing the wiring from the 88 model diagram, most all of thise were the same also, at least close enough for me to figure out what I needed.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there good writeups on installing a.c.?

I've picked up an hvac/plenum box and dash dash control from a 1990 xj as it looked identical to mine but with the a.c. option, vacuum actuator and a.c. core and it was a good price (gas and coffee) to pull.

Bought brackets from ebay for the engine pulled from an i4 86XJ. Had to bite the bullet since there are none up here.

But what about wiring? Will the harness from the 1990 4.0 xj work?

• 7 years later...

Would using a 4.0 cherokee to swap ac  parts work on a 2.5 Comanche? Not really any 2.5s or 2.8s available in the junkyard around me. Truck came with factory as just was taken out by previous owner. So would need condenser and lines. Compressor is still there. What all parts would swap? Any information would be helpful and appreciated. 

3 hours ago, 86mj2.5 said:

Would using a 4.0 cherokee to swap ac  parts work on a 2.5 Comanche? Not really any 2.5s or 2.8s available in the junkyard around me. Truck came with factory as just was taken out by previous owner. So would need condenser and lines. Compressor is still there. What all parts would swap? Any information would be helpful and appreciated. 

You might be able to get away with using 4.0L hoses but you will need a 2.5L condenser. Depending on the year as well as the condensers are different from 84-86 and 87-01. 

5 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

You might be able to get away with using 4.0L hoses but you will need a 2.5L condenser. Depending on the year as well as the condensers are different from 84-86 and 87-01. 

Yea mines an 86 so I would need a 2.5 from 84-86 to get the correct one? Is the because of fitment or something else? 

4 minutes ago, 86mj2.5 said:

Yea mines an 86 so I would need a 2.5 from 84-86 to get the correct one? Is the because of fitment or something else? 

The radiator is different. On my 84 XJ, the radiator is thinner than the one in my MJ. Course that being said I have seen 86 MJs with the later normal radiator. So the only thing that leaves as to what could possibly be different would be the radiator mounting set up between 86 and 87. You can also look into the 2.8L stuff as the condenser and radiator were shared with those years. So you do have options, just maybe not extensive enough. Course if I were you, I’d find a 2.8L that someone is junking, yank the AC parts and see if you can get them to fit. I feel like they could.