Transmission Clacking Under Load/acelleration

Bad trans mount will cause exhaust pipe to rattle against cross member.

trans mount is good and doesnt touch exhaust

Check the tcase and bellhosuing bolts aren't loose

every thing is nice and tight

Broken flexplate is doing this to me right now. Makes a knocking sound from the bellhousing area. Couldn't find it without pulling the inspection plate, even with a stethoscope.

mines standard so no flex plate

its only while the transmission is being powered by the engine,

when i disengage the clutch the noise goes away,

i will check that tomorrow,

could it have something to do with tcase fluid level?

i noticed a drip, going to top up tomorrow in the sunlight

"Clacking"

That is the sound I got when my trans mount went. The clacking was the exhaust pipe hitting the cross member under acceleration, as the engine/trans twisted the pipe made contact with the cross member. That's why I suggested you look at those.

Bearing don't 'clack'.

But ducks do quack.

"Clacking"

That is the sound I got when my trans mount went. The clacking was the exhaust pipe hitting the cross member under acceleration, as the engine/trans twisted the pipe made contact with the cross member. That's why I suggested you look at those.

Bearing don't 'clack'.

But ducks do quack.

How would you know? Have you ever let your trans get so low on lube? LOL.

It absolutely amazes me how many times we see this crap. Buy it. Drive it. Never check anything. Post on the forum when we have noises/issues.

OP, don't take this personal but this stuff needs to be said!! It's not directed at you in particular, but to all those who do the same. A good lube, oil and filter change includes checking critical fluid levels/conditions on the trans, transfer case and diffs. 

was the tcase fluid

Meaning?

Don't tell us that you didn't upon buying, or haven't as a normal course of maintenance, checked you drivetrain lubrication fluid levels and condition......

woops long response

fluids were good when i  got it,

i have just found out from experience that on any incline my tcase pours its fluid out through the rear seal and is shot off the driveshaft from centrifugal force if in motion,

which i can reproduce  :rotfl2:   that seal will be replaced next week,

now that the seal is known to be shot, they are monitored closely 

was the tcase fluid

Meaning?

Don't tell us that you didn't upon buying, or haven't as a normal course of maintenance, checked you drivetrain lubrication fluid levels and condition......

woops long response

fluids were good when i  got it,

i have just found out from experience that on any incline my tcase pours its fluid out through the rear seal and is shot off the driveshaft from centrifugal force if in motion,

which i can reproduce  :rotfl2:   that seal will be replaced next week,

now that the seal is known to be shot, they are monitored closely 

You're off the hook for now then...........

• 2 weeks later...

got my chevy output seal in,

**added**

for searchable reference,

the problem came back last night (changed the seal today) which is weird, because the fluids were topped up

while replacing the seal, i noticed my u joint to the rear axle was missing a zerk fitting (grease nipple for all who don't know the proper name) and then i noticed that u joint was beyond done

so it was replaced with the output seal

problem gone

seal puller worked like a charm,

invest in one if need be for $15 bucks,

worth its weight in gold, even if you use it only once every couple years, its been 4 years since i used it last

"Clacking"

Bearing don't 'clack'.

But ducks do quack.

It absolutely amazes me how many times we see this crap. Buy it. Drive it. Never check anything. Post on the forum when we have noises/issues.

OP, don't take this personal but this stuff needs to be said!! It's not directed at you in particular, but to all those who do the same. A good lube, oil and filter change includes checking critical fluid levels/conditions on the trans, transfer case and diffs. 

Should be SOP on the purchase of any vehicle.

got my chevy output seal in,

**added**

for searchable reference,

the problem came back last night (changed the seal today) which is weird, because the fluids were topped up

while replacing the seal, i noticed my u joint to the rear axle was missing a zerk fitting (grease nipple for all who don't know the proper name) and then i noticed that u joint was beyond done

so it was replaced with the output seal

problem gone

seal puller worked like a charm,

invest in one if need be for $15 bucks,

worth its weight in gold, even if you use it only once every couple years, its been 4 years since i used it last

Most any auto parts store will loan one for nothing.  Cheaper than buying something you'll only use every couple years.

"Clacking"

Bearing don't 'clack'.

But ducks do quack.

Should be SOP on the purchase of any vehicle.

Jim is absolutely correct in his assessment here. One of my pet peeves. Ignore the lifeblood of your vehicle and drive it without any concerns. 

Piss and moan when you hear bad noises. 

i would be down for all the hating and stabbing,
except,
i did not have a 100 post thread of why is it doing it?
i found the problem, and no ones input was the solution

also,
i would be down for all the hating and stabbing if i sat on it, and didnt replace it,
and wondered why it made that noise,

i expected issues with the truck,
i didnt give a .... what shape it was in,
i wanted it, and yes I'm reaping the benifets... or lack there of,
i have replace all 4 rotors, ebrake calipers, all 4 pads,
installed a washer fluid res
vac res
new knuckles
spindles
hubs
locking hubs
coils
3 u joints
axle stub shafts
heim joint
fixed all the electrical issues
front driveshaft parts
alignment

fluids

ect...

and so on and so forth
so don't give me this piss and moan $#!&.

It wasn't directed at you. LOL. Just making a point for others and reinforcing what Jim said.

And besides, Jim makes a very valid point here.

Hopefully others who read this thread will heed his advice and save themselves some trouble and expense down the road as a result.