Exhaust

There is a support / bracket that mounts to the square exhaust flange just in front of the cat. converter.  This bracket has an extension that slides into the rubber mount of the cross member.  Rock auto has them but I would just check your local parts store, it is a low cost low tech part.

Why do I bother with you.  :dunno:   More misinformation.

First you said "I noticed that 2wd and 4wd are inverted from each other or it could be a year difference."

Now it's "When I switched from stick to auto I ran into it."

The rubber insulator pictured below is universal for all. The smile is UP. The universal bracket for all (P/N 52003040) fits the rubber UP smile, as shown in whatever pic you posted.

insulator-front-pipe-bracket_1396.jpg

not to thread jack but, is there a gasket that goes to the union of the down pipe and the exhaust pipe? if so, does anyone have a pic or a pn?

The down pipe goes into the catalytic converter. It uses a 4-bolt flange and it requires a gasket. The catalytic converter then connects to the muffler, using a conventional male/female slip joint and muffler clamp. The exhaust pipe fits into the muffler outlet, again using a conventional muffler clamp.

See post #5.

Why do I bother with you.  :dunno:   More misinformation.

First you said "I noticed that 2wd and 4wd are inverted from each other or it could be a year difference."

Now it's "When I switched from stick to auto I ran into it."

The rubber insulator pictured below is universal for all. The smile is UP. The universal bracket for all (P/N 52003040) fits the rubber UP smile, as shown in whatever pic you posted.

insulator-front-pipe-bracket_1396.jpg

Like I said, I'm not sure what the difference was, but I pulled the 2wd BA 10/5 out and put the 4wd AW4 in and that piece was already on the trans but the U shaped piece on the pipe was upside down and wouldn't fit any other way. I ended up sticking it in the same direction as the smile and flipping it over before attaching it to the pipe flange.

guys, I recently put an entire exhaust on my 87 2.5. I bought a gasket from rock auto listed in the exhaust gaskets/seals drop down and it is listed as packing. it is felpro #60836. can anyone tell me where this goes?

What does it look like?

For an '87 2.5L, I believe there should be only two gaskets in the exhaust system. The first is the round "donut" gasket where the down pipe meets the header/exhaust manifold outlet, and the other is a rectangular gasket with four bolt holes surrounding the center hole -- that one is for where the down pipe outlet mates to the inlet side of the catalytic converter.

guys, I recently put an entire exhaust on my 87 2.5. I bought a gasket from rock auto listed in the exhaust gaskets/seals drop down and it is listed as packing. it is felpro #60836. can anyone tell me where this goes?

Look on post #17 shows whole exhaust system

• 3 weeks later...

what does the rest of this assembly look like? how does part #52003040 connect to the down pipe?

Scroll back in this thread....in the blown up drawing it is the pieces marked 9 (bracket) and 20 & 21 are the rubber isolator and holder

If you look at post #13 in the thread there is a picture of the whole assembly