Rev's '88 Sportruck

Well I finally got an MJ after a few years of wanting one. I intially had been looking high and low for the ''perfect'' truck. I almost bought a 2wd but decided against it and ended up settling on a '92 XJ. I did a pretty mild build on it within the year of getting it and got to the ''next step'' as far as lockers, axle swaps, and expensive things go so I decided to cut my losses before I was in deep and get back to looking for an MJ. Well I sold the XJ in May and just found the truck for me this past week. I ended up buying an '88 Sportruck, 4.0L, BA10, D30/D35, NP231....with 94k miles. The alternator died and the guy let it sit for the last ten years. In that time mice got at the engine harness in a few spots and he gave up. It's not terrible and I believe I can repair if I can't find a replacement harness. But yea, no AC, manual everything, vinyl floor, the whole 9. Once I get it roadworthy the fun begins! I plan on a SOA 8.8, long arms, and about 5.5''-6''. '97 front and doors, and maybe some buckets with a full console. I bought all my tune up fluids, cap, plugs, wires, rotor, filters, hoses, water pump, thermostat, and serpentine belt today. I also ordered an upgraded 105amp alternator to replace my dead 65amp with. Needless to say I can't wait to get this thing on the road!

1492281_10201385249609557_1104972552_o.j

1492710_10201385256649733_1896717834_o.j

My old Cherokee:

These are my other two babies/projects. 1970 e body Barracuda, and 1988 EE Civic wagon

258264_2091027405387_777758_o.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice solid, straight truck you found!  Even with the harness carnage...... great base to get busy with! 

Yeah, I think a donor harness would greatly reduce your headaches.  You'll never know if you got all the chewed bits sorted if you try to fix the one you have....... unless you remove it and check every inch.  At that point, you just as well replace it with a known good harness.

Welcome to the madness!

Oh, and yeah, not a fan of the civic, but that 'Cuda is amazing........  :thumbsup:

My neighbors had two of those Civics when I was growing up and I never thought much of them, but you really don't see them much any more.  Gotta love E body Plymouths.  I love my '68, but I'd take a '70-'74 'cuda any day.  What motor do you have in it?

I know they're not that uncommon, but I really like the wheel/tire package you have on the truck.  I agree with yellaheep, don't even bother trying to fix that harness - go find a donor.

Thanks buddy! These Civic's are actually one of the rarest Hondas ever made. From 88-91 only 5% of all Civics were wagons, and even less of those were the 4wd model. (Mine is 2wd) My '70 is an original bench seat 225 car, but the numbers matching 225 was pulled for one thats been built and bored. After doing some research a bench seat/fold down armrest original 225 car is getting very hard to find. I've had a 440 to rebuild for years, but the built /6 scoots around a lot better than you'd think. It also has a factory HyperPak setup on it we got at the Mopar Nationals a few years back. My dad has had a '71 340 slapstick car since '81 though and it's only got about 93k miles on it, mine on the otherhand is over 300k.

After trimming the loom back and inspecting the harness some more this morning it actually only appears 4 wires in that main section were damaged other than the plugs pictured above. If this is the case I'll probably repair it in the mean time since finding the harness around here is going to be tough. There is one on eBay but I'm not paying $250 for something I don't really NEED to get it fixed.

Slant 6?  :ack:

Anyway. . .  

Killer base truck man.  :thumbsup:  Sounds like you mean bidness (business). Very much looking forward to your build.

That Cuda is a mean piece of work too, not to mention that Cherokee, d**n. :drool:        And I actually REALLY like that little Civic, that little sucker must get 40mpg.  *Jealous*  :fs2: 

Huh....... ya learn something new every day.  Never knew they made those Cuda's with a slant 6 and a bench...... Definitely an interesting combo. 

Yep! I thought the same thing, but the original motor was on its last leg and the built motor was on Craigslist for a steal! Not to mention at that point I didn't have a V8 K member either. After talking to a friend who works at YearOne he said my car was actually ''rare'' now days because everyone has swapped them to big block/bucket seat cars.

Slant 6?  :ack:

Anyway. . .  

Killer base truck man.  :thumbsup:  Sounds like you mean bidness (business). Very much looking forward to your build.

That Cuda is a mean piece of work too, not to mention that Cherokee, d**n. :drool:        And I actually REALLY like that little Civic, that little sucker must get 40mpg.  *Jealous*  :fs2: 

Thanks man! It gets around 32-34, it's got a motor swap and a built trans and some other supporting mods so it's hard to be easy on her when I can beat on it and still get 20mpg more then what my XJ got! haha But I actually daily drive a stock 1991 Integra and I average between 29-31 depending on the week/tire pressure. :p

Well I went to the junkyard looking for a harness yesterday and some other odds and ends but came up empty handed other than a set of '97+ wiper arms. I did end manage to get the harness, alternator, airbox, battery, and tray all removed before it got dark at that point. Hopefully the harness can get wrapped up for installation on Christmas and this damn rain will let up at some point. haha

I didn't do much of anything on Christmas, it was waaaay too cold. I did manage to start scrubbing my seat a bit to see what kind of work it's going to take. It's not much better, but I only put about 10 minutes into the cleaning of it so far. I ordered some tailgate bumpers from American Muscle, Chevy front brake hoses (one of mine seems to have a small leak and I need them for my lift after awhile), and I've pieced together an open cooling system but I'm not positive I want to pull the trigger. I plan to pull the radiator and completely flush it when I do the waterpump so I figured now might be the best time. I'm hoping the weather holds up this next week or so, I could potentially have 4 days to work on this thing and if everything goes smoothly it should be running by then.

Looks like a solid base to work from.  If the existing harness is fixable, patch it and keep your eyes peeled for harness that doesn't have a C101 connector (89+ I think?).  Might as well kill 2 birds with one stone.  Once you get her running rebuild the braking system.  After sitting for that long you're bound to have leaks crop up and brakes are a bad place for leaks...

This one is going to get repaired for the time being, I'll refresh the connector ends before I reinstall it and hope for the best for now! I'm going to inspect the rear wheel cylinders and rear line and hope those are ok for the time being. I'll be going with an 8.8 soon enough once this thing is together in stock form so I don't want to dump a lot of time and effort into the 35s brakes. I'm going to take a look at the pads, rotors, and calipers this weekend if its not raning though.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered an M10 x 1.5 knob, I read almost everywhere this was standard for Jeep manual transmissions but there was some conflicting information in the ad on eBay that said I needed M10 x 1.25. This one fit tight and did not have any play and did not tear up the threads so I'm going to assume M10 x 1.5 is 100% correct, but then again it could be one of those year to year cases of variation.

Well my big hold up at this point is my harness. Everything else is practically done other than flushing the trans and diffs. The waterpump, thermostat, alternator, and belt are in. I've got the radiator in place but not installed as it's going to make fishing a harness back in a good deal easier. If I can find a harness this thing should be running with about 2 hours worth of work!

I can't wait to drive this thing!

Made some headway on my old chewed up harness. I also got a clutch fork, seal kit, throwout bearing, and the CJ 304 pilot bushing for the ax15. Hopefully this harness will work out once I have it back in there. If that gets me on the road I plan to source the rest of the items for the ax15 swap, that'll be the first be project before a lift or axle swaps.

The missing section was cut from an incorrect harness so the coloring would all appear as factory as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I never really posted about it, but I got it to turn over off of fuel in the intake manifold after I got the harness back in. The pump is shot so I got a new one, just gotta take the time to replace it and hopefully this puppy will be on the road!

I got some cheap General Grabber AT2s from a friend for the time being but forgot to mention that. Today I managed to get the tank/pump out but ran into some fitment issues with the retainer on the sending unit fitting the pump, so after that got sorted and everything was together in the tank it was dark.

Not juice....just old gas. It had just shy of 8 gallons in it.

The pump I took out must have been a replacement because it was a Bosch. So in 94k miles this truck has had 3 fuel pumps. lol