Side View Mirror Options?

I wanted to ask if anyone was running mirrors from any vehicle other than an XJ or MJ. I was driving the MJ earlier today and saw a pickup with nice big new chrome mirrors and I was wondering if anyone has swapped sideview mirrors onto an MJ from another brand or vehicle. Thanks!

Skorpyo

The XJ and the MJ could be had with several different types of mirrors, including the door-mounted towing package mirrors. And several people here have put the larger side mirrors from the 97+ XJs onto older XJs and MJs.

These mirrors were factory options on this one.

If you are considering changing your to this, just be aware that on the inside of the door skin is a brace running top to bottom to support the mirror.  Otherwise, the door skin will flex from the wind pushing the mirror.  The metal will fatigue and rip without the brace.

Bigger mirrors enhance safety, but add drag and hurt fuel economy. I'll be looking to buy or make some removable brackets for big mirrors to give better rearward visibility when towing.

Seriously? How much more drag can they add to our brick shaped vehicles?

Bigger mirrors enhance safety, but add drag and hurt fuel economy. I'll be looking to buy or make some removable brackets for big mirrors to give better rearward visibility when towing.

Thats why I installed the nose off a 70 Plymouth Superbird on my truck. Its basically a direct bolt on ill post pictures later. The only real drawback is that I can't run it in the nascar truck series anymore. They said I was cheating.

That would depend on the size of the mirror, wouldn't it.

Towing an 8-and-a-half-foot-wide trailer (the legal limit), you need big mirrors mounted wide. Besides the added drag (which, despite the clown comments above, is quite significant), such wide mirrors are beyond inconvenient when not towing. They are at risk of being broken, their appearance is aesthetically displeasing, plus as I mentioned already they cost in extra gasoline consumed.

As an aside comment, the squarish lines of the Comanche contribute far less to aerodynamic drag than does the open bed. Drags results less from the shape of the front of a vehicle punching a hole through the wind, but more from the shape thats helps close that hole in the wind behind it.

Towing an 8-and-a-half-foot-wide trailer (the legal limit), you need big mirrors mounted wide. Besides the added drag (which, despite the clown comments above, is quite significant), such wide mirrors are beyond inconvenient when not towing. They are at risk of being broken, their appearance is aesthetically displeasing, plus as I mentioned already they cost in extra gasoline consumed.

As an aside comment, the squarish lines of the Comanche contribute far less to aerodynamic drag than does the open bed. Drags results less from the shape of the front of a vehicle punching a hole through the wind, but more from the shape thats helps close that hole in the wind behind it.

So, I'm betting you have a tonneau cover of some sort on your Comanche? Fiberglass or fabric? Where did you get it? I've been unable to find either one.

So, I'm betting you have a tonneau cover of some sort on your Comanche? Fiberglass or fabric? Where did you get it? I've been unable to find either one.

I'm working on something much, much better, but I can't talk too much about it just now.

I'd post up a picture of something similar that has been done already but to tell the truth I don't want the abuse I'd take for offering a sneak peek. People have their own very specific ideas about what their truck should look like, which is just fine until they decide to be very closed-minded and tell everyone else what their trucks should look like too.

When it's time, I'll post some pics; until then use your imagination. :) You were quite observant and perceptive to offer up that tonneau cover guess from my comments about drag...

Well since this wasn't meant as a discussion of the aerodynamics of the comanche and the impact of mirrors I'd like to know if anyone is running mirrors that are NOT from an XJ or MJ and where they got them from. I personally think a vehicle should reflect the desires of the owner not some conformist opinion so seeing alternate ideas on people's tricks interests me.

Thanks,

Tim

Anyone who has never towed a wide trailer safely doesn't know first-hand the advantage of wide-mounted mirrors. On a narrow truck like the Comanche, they need to stick out nearly 3 feet on each side.

Here is a picture of some removable ones; there are offerings from a number of makers but I don't like their price. Since they are easy to fabricate, I might make them myself, similar to these:

$_35.JPG

Anyone who has never towed a wide trailer safely doesn't know first-hand the advantage of wide-mounted mirrors. On a narrow truck like the Comanche, they need to stick out nearly 3 feet on each side.

Here is a picture of some removable ones; there are offerings from a number of makers but I don't like their price. Since they are easy to fabricate, I might make them myself, similar to these:

$_35.JPG

so we've all been doing it wrong all these years?

pffft.

I've towed more MJ's, XJ's, KJ's, and whatnot home with my MJ than I can shake a stick at. and all by just doing something as simple as putting 97+ xj mirrors on. plenty big to see.

Mirrors are great for towing, but you can make do with factory equipment.

I clearly said that the wide mirrors to which I refer are for use with towing loads at the 8.5-foot highway width limit. Since you certainly must have read what I posted, you must be referring to towing loads that are that wide.

I've never seen any 8.5-foot-wide "MJ's, XJ's, KJ's", so I sure would like to see a picture of any of them, as doubtless would many other readers who have never seen any before either - would you post up some photos of the "more than you can shake a stick at" examples for us, please?

In the end, on the subject, the removable tow mirrors do work.   But are a complete pain in the butt.

My 02 KJ has side fold 03 dodge ram power/heated mirrors on it for this reason, but to this date, there isn't a good (or aesthetically pleasing) solution for our MJ's.

In the end, they weren't made to pull a huge enclosed trailer, and it really is ill-advised to tow another vehicle with them as they are not big enough for anything but a featherlite car trailer or a tow dolly, and trailer brakes would be a necessity.   It can be done, but should be done with care.

And that's a good way to put it.   Much better than claiming credit or knowledge with nothing to back it up.

To put it any other way would just invite more flames from someone who has demonstrated a proclivity for seeing what he wants to see on a page rather than what is actually written there.

No one in this thread ever made any claims that need backing up. To do so on the Internet is pure foolishness anyway because antagonists will just claim B.S., yet any information given is out there forever. Anyone who values his privacy should be very circumspect about posting personal information of any kind.