Loud Pop?!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks guys, it was the frame bracket, the nuts where loose, i'm surprised the rear nut didn't fall off down the road, but the pop is now gone  :thumbsup:

Redwolf

:banana: Go back to the first page of this thread and re-read the first answer (post #2)      :rotfl2:

thanks guys, it was the frame bracket, the nuts where loose, i'm surprised the rear nut didn't fall off down the road, but the pop is now gone  :thumbsup:

Redwolf

:banana: Go back to the first page of this tread and re-read the first answer (post #2)      :rotfl2:

Yup. Beat me to it!! If you're gonna ASK, then READ what people are posting. 

Seems your MJ needs a good dose of "noggin pokin'".

That's where you have someone turn the wheels from lock to lock while you poke your noggin underneath and listen to.find the pop noise. 

Here's an inspiring quote from a guy named chipmaker:

Chipmaker says:

“Way more problems get solved by using your five senses under your hood rather than your ten fingers on a keyboard”

That's where you have someone turn the wheels from lock to lock while you poke your noggin underneath and listen to.find the pop noise. 

Chipmaker says:

“Way more problems get solved by using your five senses under your hood rather than your ten fingers on a keyboard”

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Chipmaker says:

that quote is true and i've done that, i can't figure out where the noise comes from and i can't see anything wrong

And since it has not been mentioned yet I feel I must bring it up......are you in an area were wayward balloons cause havoc?

what's a wayward ballon?

Redwolf

And since it has not been mentioned yet I feel I must bring it up......are you in an area were wayward balloons cause havoc?

Me? 

No sir....unless your hearing popping......

I can't hear any popping with the tinfoil wrapped tightly around my head!!!

• 2 weeks later...

poppin is gone when i got wheel lock to wheel lock (don't know how it went away on it's own) but now i have it when i make a turn and the truck flexs a little, could it be the shock or coil springs? i know it's somethin that's up front and suspention related,

Redwolf

If you have "FLEX" now and not before.....Whatever was "POPPING" is now BROKE.....

Try this.....you will need a helper a jack and 2 jack stands.

1) With the helper behind the wheel, lay under the front of the truck on the passenger side and have your helper turn the wheel from full lock to full lock 4 times.....Watch look and listen for broken hanging pieces....listen for noises like popping or rubbing or grinding

2) Go under the drivers side and do the same thing

3)Block the back wheels and jack the front of the truck up and put your jack stands UNDER THE FRAME so that the front end hangs un-sprung

4) repeat steps 1 and 2

Report Back with you findings

If you have "FLEX" now and not before.....Whatever was "POPPING" is now BROKE.....

Try this.....you will need a helper a jack and 2 jack stands.

1) With the helper behind the wheel, lay under the front of the truck on the passenger side and have your helper turn the wheel from full lock to full lock 4 times.....Watch look and listen for broken hanging pieces....listen for noises like popping or rubbing or grinding

2) Go under the drivers side and do the same thing

3)Block the back wheels and jack the front of the truck up and put your jack stands UNDER THE FRAME so that the front end hangs un-sprung

4) repeat steps 1 and 2

Report Back with you findings

thanks i'll give that a shot this weekend if it aint rainin/snowin,

Redwolf

It was -50 C yesterday.....that is -58 F in your language.....we laid under the truck in the drive and replaced the CPS (bare handed) and gave it an oil change (had to run the motor for awhile to get the oil to flow).

You can't have it worse than that........

Go start your truck and turn your wheel from lock to lock. If it pops or you feel a bump. 5 bucks says its a control arm bushing...

Mines done this for as long as i've owned it.

Never really payed it much attention because i've never been able to actually pin-point it.

Never really thought the control arms would be making the noise, I'll have to give them a check

Go start your truck and turn your wheel from lock to lock. If it pops or you feel a bump. 5 bucks says its a control arm bushing...

Mines done this for as long as i've owned it.

Never really payed it much attention because i've never been able to actually pin-point it.

Never really thought the control arms would be making the noise, I'll have to give them a check

I replaced all my control arms a little more than a year and a half ago. For the last six months I've had a 'rattle', sounds and feels like the passenger UCA. Only happens when I drive over ripples in the road. When I can afford it I'll replace them all again.

i had an issue where death wobble wallowed out the lca holes on the frame side,
so that shimmable bracket was an egg and would pop back and forth while turning left,

and i have to laugh,
on the first page you assured them you tightened the bolts, then turns out it was loose

when it rains, i take a tarp and put it over me and the truck, and sit under the tarp with a lamp,
thermal coveralls when its cold and snowing  :thumbsup:

went through the whole front in with wrench in hand, tighted everything i could see, jacked the truck up and put it on jack stands on the axle and the frame, did as instructed above and could not find anything hittin, could not pin point the noise the one time it happened, it's a hit or miss thing, nothin seems broken, any other ideas?

Redwolf