High Fuel Economy Engine Swap Options?

Oyaji

Agreed on that. The Kia Soul is almost less aerodynamic than the Comanches. I've even been looking for an early one with a blown motor to make a mini pickup out of.

I couldn't imagine what you were talking about, so I Googled it. Now I see what you mean. It is pretty blocky, but still sleeker than a Comanche - smaller too, which means its aerodynamic load would be less.

While I was looking, I turned up these shots and thought of your prospective project. Enjoy:

Kia_wallpapers_3.jpg.

Kia_wallpapers_7.jpg.

I found a Nissan SD33 (wish it was T for turbo) for $2500 with the 727 I considered for a micro second along with the O/D you can bolt between the trans and tcase (by moving everything back 12") They also used 4 cyl diesels in Datsun pickups, most have fallen from the frame of rot.

Then I considered a Volvo turbo diesel with the AW4 version automatic bell grafted to a Jeep AW4. Lots in boat yards with rotten hulls but engine mods needed for non-stationary use.

Audi diesel RWD engines (5 and 6 cyl) came with a variety of transmissions.

Toyota 2LT and bigger were used with AX-15 and AW4 variants.

Still interested in hearing more about that potential Volvo  diesel swap - the one that will mate to an AW4.  AAre they not available from an automotive application? And if it mates to an AW4 bellhousing, would it not mate to an AX15 as well? Sounds like it might be a relatively easy way to go compared to having to get an adapter plate and associated custom machine work/trouble with flywheels and additional risk of failure from bolt-on cobbled-together rotating parts. Deviating as little  as possible from factory engineering is highly desirable in my book - that leaves leeway when you do have to make modifications (there  will always  be unforeseen things that pop up that will require mods, you can be sure of that...).

Anyone have any details to share? Carnuck, I am looking  to you in particular - seems you  have spent some thought on this and know of a number of options worth a closer look. I am not familiar with any of them, so don't be shy about elaborating, please! 

In regards to that Chrysler 2.4 DOHC, I know a bit about it. I previously owned a 2006 Chysler Sebring Sedan equipped with the EDZ and, even with a 4 speed slushbox, saw a bit more than the EPA estimated 22 in the city, 30 on the highway. The Chrysler EDZ engine is a non-interference design with a 9.4:1 compression ratio that makes 150 hp at 5500 rpm and 160 lb ft of torque at 4200 rpm. When turbocharged, it was known as the EDT, had an 8:1 compression ratio and power levels went as high as 245 hp at 5500 rpm and 260 lb ft at rpms as low as 2200. Iron block, aluminum heads. The EDZ and EDV have different blocks and heads but it is possible to pull everything off an SRT-4 and install it on an EDZ. It's a nice little motor, but I'm not sure it's what you're looking for. However, if you were to turbocharge it, get an SRT4 head, etc., you can make some wicked power out of them. There's someone who turboed their EDZ in an 05 Sebring Sedan and they run low 12s (maybe high 11s by now) in the 1/4 (had to rebuild the trans haha).

I found a Nissan SD33 (wish it was T for turbo) for $2500 with the 727 I considered for a micro second along with the O/D you can bolt between the trans and tcase (by moving everything back 12") They also used 4 cyl diesels in Datsun pickups, most have fallen from the frame of rot.

Then I considered a Volvo turbo diesel with the AW4 version automatic bell grafted to a Jeep AW4. Lots in boat yards with rotten hulls but engine mods needed for non-stationary use.

Still interested in hearing more about that potential Volvo  diesel swap - the one that will mate to an AW4.  AAre they not available from an automotive application? And if it mates to an AW4 bellhousing, would it not mate to an AX15 as well? Sounds like it might be a relatively easy way to go compared to having to get an adapter plate and associated custom machine work/trouble with flywheels and additional risk of failure from bolt-on cobbled-together rotating parts. Deviating as little  as possible from factory engineering is highly desirable in my book - that leaves leeway when you do have to make modifications (there  will always  be unforeseen things that pop up that will require mods, you can be sure of that...).

Anyone have any details to share? Carnuck, I am looking  to you in particular - seems you  have spent some thought on this and know of a number of options worth a closer look. I am not familiar with any of them, so don't be shy about elaborating, please! 

The Volvo setup requires a bellhousing from a Volvo with AW4 (I think they started in '91 but I lost all my notes when my D'Hell computer kicked the bucket) The diesel engine is more commonly found in boats than Volvo autos.

I am not sure if the gas motor has the same bell pattern. Volvo didn't use an AX-15 trans as far as I know.

The Volvo setup requires a bellhousing from a Volvo with AW4 (I think they started in '91 but I lost all my notes when my D'Hell computer kicked the bucket) The diesel engine is more commonly found in boats than Volvo autos.

I am not sure if the gas motor has the same bell pattern. Volvo didn't use an AX-15 trans as far as I know.

Good info to be sure - thanks heaps. I am in boat country down here, but the salt water wreaks havoc on marine applications, so I fear it may be hard locally to find such an engine. (I will ask around though.) Any ideas where to source an  AW4 bellhousing for that Volvo diesel?

How about some of those other engines you mentioned, I wonder? The AW in AW4 stands for "Aisin (Aishin) Warner", and I know Aisin supplies a LOT of stuff to the Japanese car industry. Any idea if any of the other diesels you mentioned had an AW4 or AX15 pairing? And if they were available in the USA?

My interest in this is starting to heat up, as I have a couple leads on Comanches with blown engines that look to be available locally. To my thinking, blown engine = perfect time for a swap...

Here is a Volvo diesel teaser vid showcasing its potential for the "ants in the pants' crowd :rotf: :

I believe this was directed at me. Regardless, i love it.

Last time I checked, 1 does not constitute a crowd.

Neither do 2 when you add me in. No, I don't have 'ants in me pants' anymore, but I love it too, lord hep me I do. Must be a tough engine to stand up to that sort of boosting and abuse!

Good info to be sure - thanks heaps. I am in boat country down here, but the salt water wreaks havoc on marine applications, so I fear it may be hard locally to find such an engine. (I will ask around though.) Any ideas where to source an  AW4 bellhousing for that Volvo diesel?

How about some of those other engines you mentioned, I wonder? The AW in AW4 stands for "Aisin (Aishin) Warner", and I know Aisin supplies a LOT of stuff to the Japanese car industry. Any idea if any of the other diesels you mentioned had an AW4 or AX15 pairing? And if they were available in the USA?

My interest in this is starting to heat up, as I have a couple leads on Comanches with blown engines that look to be available locally. To my thinking, blown engine = perfect time for a swap...

Toyota diesels used an AX trans that the bell "should" swap with the AX-15, but it may be the AX-5 as well as AW3 trans (3 speed auto) Imported ones have been known to have the AW4 on them.

I prefer the non-computer controlled version, but the 2LT has a long track record (that's what's in the Hilux Top Gear tried to kill)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-TOYOTA-2L-TE-2-4L-Turbo-Diesel-4WD-Auto-2LTE-Hilux-Surf-2LT-4Runner-Tacoma-/181231471527?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a323ccba7&vxp=mtr

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I'd touch the 3-cylinder version.  The bigger 4 cylinder Kubota v2203 is a common swap and that is very low on power.

Here are a couple v2203 swap threads:

http://www.dieselbombers.com/diesel-engine-conversions/110855-jeep-cherokee-xj-v2203-kubota.html

http://www.dieselbombers.com/diesel-engine-conversions/94861-another-ford-ranger-kubota-v2203.html

I remember reading years ago about guys putting 3 cylinder Kubota tractor engines into their cars, any possibilities here?

It might do for a very small car (like an old Triumph Spitfire: small, light, and very low profile) as long as you had no need for acceleration or top speed, but such are just too small for a Comanche (unless they make bigger ones than I know of). I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread the acquaintance who put a 3-banger 17 or 22 HP Yanmar diesel (same as used in Kubotas I have seen)  into his street dune buggy -    he had very dismal results (he was shooting for 100+ MPG and 75+ MPH, but fell  short at 50 MPH and never would admit his MPG - I estimated ~60-65 MPG).

Those small Yanmars are just too underpowered,  too inefficient, and too heavy for this purpose. If there are some bigger ones that make more power, I fear they will also be too heavy for the power they produce - for a tractor engine where weight adds traction that is fine though.

• 2 weeks later...

Banks just unveiled this at SEMA: http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/banks-4x4-diesel-powertrain-conversion-package/

Looks pretty good, but probably costs more than what most of us paid for our trucks.

Well over $10,000 is a safe bet I would guess - it is an all-up package including 6-speed auto and transfer case.

Thanks for posting it - high price doesn't make me want it any less, just means I can't have it.

Banks just unveiled this at SEMA: http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/banks-4x4-diesel-powertrain-conversion-package/

Looks pretty good, but probably costs more than what most of us paid for our trucks.

Well over $10,000 is a safe bet I would guess - it is an all-up package including 6-speed auto and transfer case.

Thanks for posting it - high price doesn't make me want it any less, just means I can't have it.

knowing banks the engine itself will be over $10k