Receiver Hitch

I understand not have the resources.  I cannot weld anything, but I know how to find people/businesses that do that.

Receiver hitches for MJ are harder to find than needles in haystacks.

It just seems to me that if you cannot buy it or find it, then (have someone) make it from pieces lying around.

My 2 cents.

agreed but havin resources include money as well :) i've also found a hitch easier that the needle in the hay

stack, i found a hitch on a mj, the hitch is all rusted through though,

Redwolf

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed but havin resources include money as well :) i've also found a hitch easier that the needle in the hay

Redwolf

Buy it cheap, take it to a good local welder shop, tell him to use it as a pattern and make one just like it.

Redwolf

Buy it cheap, take it to a good local welder shop, tell him to use it as a pattern and make one just like it.

i thought bought that, i took the messurements of it, when i go back out to my buddy's house (who has it) i'm gonna take pictures since i forgot those  :doh: i might end up makin my own

i've never seen a shortbed with a hitch

Redwolf

http://comancheclub.com/topic/1903-91-eliminator-4x4/?p=18233

Now you have. 1991 Eliminator 4x4, only came in SWB. If I still had the thing I'd take pics to compare how it mounted up.

nice :)

Redwolf

I wondered the same thing after I bought it, and even started a thread about it:

http://comancheclub.com/topic/35828-did-i-get-the-correct-hitch/

I later confirmed that the 3 holes per side do line up with frame holes on the MJ, however I broke off one of the bolts that I need to replace to mount it to those 3 holes.

Apparently only Hidden Hitch used that mounting configuration.  Some time soon I hope to either utilize the holes put there by Hidden Hitch or to actually drill the side-mount holes used by other hitches and mount it the way most brands mount. 

The flanges actually line up properly with the outside of the frame in the same manner as the mounting flanges form other brands of hitches, however they are not drilled to mount that way.

Interesting.  I'm guessing this is for longbeds only?

I have read that on here, and since I only have a LB, I can only confirm that it matches up on the LB frame.  But that seems to be the working asumption.

thanks for the link wombat, that'll help A LOT if i make my own hitch

i'd rather find one made for a MJ or that'll atleast mount up to one,

Redwolf

If I decide to purchase a new bumper I will probably sell my hitch.  If you'd be interested in it, drop me a line.

thanks, when and if ya decide and i haven't made for found a hitch by then i'll deffently be interested :)

Redwolf

Redwolf

If I decide to purchase a new bumper I will probably sell my hitch.  If you'd be interested in it, drop me a line.

thanks, when and if ya decide and i haven't made for found a hitch by then i'll deffently be interested :)

Redwolf

I should know by the middle of next week, so I'll keep you posted.

>> 

Redwolf

Redwolf

I should know by the middle of next week, so I'll keep you posted.

alright, sounds good,

Redwolf

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried contacting a hitch company like reese/drawtite/curt/etc and asked? I know they did make the hitches at one point, but probably no longer do because its not profitable for them to stock them...but my bet would be they still have the build sheet filed away and really no special parts are required aside form a little cutting and bending of metal stock...I don't see why they wouldnt gladly take the business of a special order for a reasonable price if they still have the design specs on file. Just saying its worth try.

Somebody just did.

"I am a member of Comanche club. A group of people dedicated to the preservation of the Jeep Comanche pick up. I am inquiring as to the possibility of Reese making a number of trailer hitches for the Comanche. Whether or not you would be interested. If so what would be the minimum number of orders be needed? Payment, deposit in advance?
Thank you."

Anybody else going to contact them?

From DrawTite

Unfortunately, we no longer produce that hitch and it has been obsolete since 2009. If you can provide me with the year of your Comanche, I can look up what we have available for it and give you a current part# for a class 3 hitch.

Thank you,

Don Reneaud

Cequent Performance Products

......Uh, no class 3 either.....

I seem to have neglected to mention that I sent that to Reese. Was going to send one to Draw Tite next but Buthershop already did.

Keep us posted Jim...i remember someone a while back who, iirc, got a company to make some, but needed several confirmed orders to start. My mj wasnt even running at the time, but wish i would've got in on that. don't even remember how it turned out, actually.

I seem to have neglected to mention that I sent that to Reese. Was going to send one to Draw Tite next but Buthershop already did.

Keep us posted Jim...i remember someone a while back who, iirc, got a company to make some, but needed several confirmed orders to start. My mj wasnt even running at the time, but wish i would've got in on that. don't even remember how it turned out, actually.

Yes, I remember that. I think it was Bo (shelbyluvv). As it usually works here, everyone was rah-rah to do it then when  commitment time came down, utter silence. Maybe Bo can fill in the blanks.

Yes, I remember that. I think it was Bo (shelbyluvv). As it usually works here, everyone was rah-rah to do it then when  commitment time came down, utter silence. Maybe Bo can fill in the blanks.

And that's exactly what I expect to happen here. But, we'll see.

I am in as well. NO BS. I have a very high need to get receiver hitch. If all else fails, I will modify a hitch made for a XJ. Cut of the mounting flanges & weld addition flat stock to mount that hitch to the side of the frame rails ( as needed). I would prefer not to go this route as it will be expensive ( buy the receiver hitch, then pay for modifications)

Keep us informed & see what a minimum number of receivers are needed to get Reese or Draw-tite to make another production run. 

I actually need a hitch sooner than later.

Thanks