Headlight Wiring Harness Questions

Hey gogmorgo (or others) do you have a pic of the relays mounted under the hood?

I clipped off some headlight socket plugs last time I was at the junkyard (free), I figured OEM plugs are better than almost any aftermarket stuff. And I already have regular relays, some wire, and every crimp connector I need and then some. So it's basically a free upgrade and won't be screaming yellow when done LOL.

Oddly enough I actually enjoy wiring (not necessarily finding faults in wires though) :)

Here's the how-to I followed, but I don't have a pic of my own work. I never got around to properly mounting them somewhere, I just left them tucked down beside the battery. I also don't have the Putco harness, so mine was all red, green, and black, but I just tucked it into some split loom (cheapish at Princess Auto) so it wasn't obvious.

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm

Editing to correct a broken link: http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm

Edited by gogmorgo

Correct. There is nothing going to the switch.

The supplemental harness plugs into one of the factory headlight sockets (which I guess is going to the switch...) and uses the complete factory headlight wiring to trigger the relays. Basically, where the bulb(s) used to be in the factory circuit, there are now relays.

Beyond unplugging the headlight bulbs from their sockets and plugging some trigger wires into one side, you do not need to modify the factory wiring at all.

Correct. There is nothing going to the switch.

The supplemental harness plugs into one of the factory headlight sockets (which I guess is going to the switch...) and uses the complete factory headlight wiring to trigger the relays. Basically, where the bulb(s) used to be in the factory circuit, there are now relays.

Beyond unplugging the headlight bulbs from their sockets and plugging some trigger wires into one side, you do not need to modify the factory wiring at all.

Yup.

Cruiser’s Headlight Upgrade Harness Instructions

It's easy to install a supplemental headlight harness.

From the factory, the voltage to the headlight bulbs travels from the battery, inside the cabin, to the headlamp switch, and then back out to the lamps via undersized wire. It's not uncommon to find only 10.5 volts at the lamps.

The supplemental harness is installed so that it provides battery voltage to the lamps and is just triggered by the factory wiring. The result is about 30% brighter headlamps and headlight switches that don't melt and burn out. 

Absolutely plug and play. Remove grille and headlamp bulbs. I fed my harnesses from the passenger side starting between the battery and the back of the headlamp housing, over to the driver side. Plug the driver side bulb into the new harness. Attach the new harness's ground wire under one of the small bolts on the radiator support after scraping the paint off under it. Attach the harness to the existing harness behind the grille working toward the passenger side. . Plug the new harness plug into passenger headlamp. Plug original headlamp plug into receptacle on new harness. Attach the ground for the passenger side just like you did the driver side under a radiator support bolt. Attach relays with provided bracket on the passenger side inner fender. Connect power wires to battery. 

Revised 12/10/2012

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the how-to I followed, but I don't have a pic of my own work. I never got around to properly mounting them somewhere, I just left them tucked down beside the battery. I also don't have the Putco harness, so mine was all red, green, and black, but I just tucked it into some split loom (cheapish at Princess Auto) so it wasn't obvious.

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm

Is there another headlamp supplemental harness upgrade that someone makes? I ask because amazon is sold out of the Putco harness, and some people have said the Putco is poor quality. Yet, others say it is fine and people just have grounding and mounting issues...