Looking For Some Opinions On A Couple Things

I currently have an 88 MJ, longbed, 4.0L 5 spd, 4wd. with the Dana 30/35 combo. The motor is about to kick the bucket and I have a crate SBC 350. I recently came into some 38" tires, brand new for about $400 through a mutual friend who bought them for a customer and they never needed them. So I have about $1000 saved up to dump into the motor swap. I have the complete harness for the motor and all the adapters, accessories and motor parts. So here's my questions:

Should I drop an NV4550 (or general 5 speed for chevy) into the truck for better gas milage? (I have a 700r4 already but really like the milage of a 5 speed)

What axles are the best to use with a 15" rim? I'm thinking Dana 60's but I don't know if they'll fit the 15" rims?

Without any major trimming to the fenders, how much lift am I going to need?

I've built lift kits before for wranglers, yjs, and other trucks but this build is uncharted as far as tire size, biggest I've had is 37's on a 2000 TJ that I installed a 8" lift on.

Are there any axles parts that will crossover to lift the truck?

I will try and do my best to answer any questions that may arise. Thanks guys.

Edit: Tires GFM0dhI.jpg

Current state of MJ: 6buthQQ.jpg (Before ARB front bumper

Well, I would say swapping the 5 speed is going to be easier than swapping a 700r4, seeing as the truck is already set up for a manual tranny (floor cutouts, no column shifter, no oil lines/oil cooler etc) and running 38"s your going to need big lift 8"+ with large offset rims, and big axles. I'm guessing this is going to be an off road rig based on the fact your running such large tires, so I would look at taller gears also. I would say 4.10 and numerically higher. Those stock axles will hardly be able to push those big tires on dry pavement without breaking. as for 15" rim.... I think D60's are usually set up for at least 16" rims brake clearance wise. I would say a well built Dana 44 and a 9" rear would put you in good shape. I would plan on spending ALOT more than $1000 for all the work your looking at.... if $1000 is your budget, you would be MUCH better off just swapping in another 4.0L which can be readily found for $400~ and putting some reasonably sized tires on like 31x10.50's which you could extremely likely find used with rims for another $400~ and use the last $200 for either a Dana 44 rear end, or a Chrysler 8.25" rear end. Your going to be looking at a ballpark $3-5K for what you want to do, and thats if you have a shop with metal fabrication equipment already. Don't let me hold you back though! do what your heart desires, its your Jeep!

Good luck!

-Nate

Well, I would say swapping the 5 speed is going to be easier than swapping a 700r4, seeing as the truck is already set up for a manual tranny (floor cutouts, no column shifter, no oil lines/oil cooler etc) and running 38"s your going to need big lift 8"+ with large offset rims, and big axles. I'm guessing this is going to be an off road rig based on the fact your running such large tires, so I would look at taller gears also. I would say 4.10 and numerically higher. Those stock axles will hardly be able to push those big tires on dry pavement without breaking. as for 15" rim.... I think D60's are usually set up for at least 16" rims brake clearance wise. I would say a well built Dana 44 and a 9" rear would put you in good shape. I would plan on spending ALOT more than $1000 for all the work your looking at.... if $1000 is your budget, you would be MUCH better off just swapping in another 4.0L which can be readily found for $400~ and putting some reasonably sized tires on like 31x10.50's which you could extremely likely find used with rims for another $400~ and use the last $200 for either a Dana 44 rear end, or a Chrysler 8.25" rear end. Your going to be looking at a ballpark $3-5K for what you want to do, and thats if you have a shop with metal fabrication equipment already. Don't let me hold you back though! do what your heart desires, its your Jeep!

Good luck!

-Nate

That is what I was thinking. I like a 5 speed better anyways but I already had a 700r4 laying around. This will be an offroad toy, I have a work truck to drive in the mean time. Stock axles will be coming off and going to scrap. I was hoping that maybe Wagoneer 44's would hold out with the 15" rim setup. the $1000 is just for suspenion and axles. Motor swap is paid for (Was going to do on another Mj, but moved overseas and sold MJ) I also have the welding equiptment, shop, and knowledge of building a custom lift. I just haven't done one on an MJ before. (Not really great with leaf springs) I can always dump more money in the future, just have $1000 to get started, 

Forgot to mention, I already have a 5" lift on the MJ and 33's already. So those will be up for sale to help repay some of the cost. This was a DD truck, but now that I have a new DD, the MJ is going to be my new toy

You have $1000 to buy suspension and axles to run 38" tires on an MJ? Hahaha. That's funny.

It just aint gonna happen. Heck, the hard parts for lift like that will eat up the entire budget. I have been slowly preparing a set of 60's to go under an MJ. I have already passed the $1K mark with my investment in axles: buying the axles, setting up the rear for disc brakes and new bearings/seals/wheel studs for the rear. I haven't even touched the front 60 or bought rear spring plates or front link brackets. Shhhhh, don't tell my wife!  :dunno:

If you want to run 15" wheels on a front 60, you will need to find a Ford Kingpin D60 then do a front Chevy disc brake swap. 

If you have all the stuff to do the motor tranny swap do it !! Sell the big @$$ tires get yourself some more cash to finish it of with. Budget lifts are a dime a dozen. There are a couple of home brew lifts on here if you look that will also get you by. If you don't go super crazy and beat the piss out of your drive line it will hold just fine. We dynoed mine at 435HP and 405 LBS of torque with stock axels and 33" tires no problems.... Fender triming is also very helpful if you want a bit more tire too..   It can be done just be smart about it.  

You can run 15" wheels on 60s but it will require some wider wheel spacers to get the wheels off the brake calipers.  1.5-2".  Tire size is a good starting point for a build, but your tire size determines the required axle strength and gearing.  You're may run out of money in gears and lockers before its done.  But since you're running a SBC and especially if you go with the 700r4 then you won't need crazy low gear ratios in a relatively light weight MJ...even with larger tires.  Some 4.11 geared late 70s F150 axles would work, that is if you don't mind running the ford radius arms.  Our very on Pete M runs them and they work great.  Your next logical donor is 77.5'-79' F250 or F350 axles and a front leaf conversion, then you'd have to hack together some steering but it would be a solid build.  Lincoln lock the rear axle and you're in business!

You have $1000 to buy suspension and axles to run 38" tires on an MJ? Hahaha. That's funny.

Yep. Triple that number at the very minimum.

The last time our shop built an 8"+ suspension, total parts cost of the control arms, brackets, linkage, was around $300. We don't buy parts, all of ours were made in the machine shop. The axles for now are just going to be stock 44's just to get started.