Project: Guilty Pleasure

This is my second Comanche acquired in 2011. It will be another long term project. Its an 89' purchased from the local salvage yard. I waited an entire year before submitting to their price during which time it continued to function as their yard transporter. Cost me a few more dents and dings. Don't know how they managed to come up with a clear title but it made tags and registration easier for me. It came with wagon spoke wheels, dry rotted rubber, some 22 shells, a little less than a buck in loose change, lots of mud, and a rusty roll bar. I added the Rock Monster bead locks and wrapped them with 32" BFG KM2s.

I enjoyed it for a summer and then set about to resolve the too audible chain slapping in the 242 transfer. Went to the garage to pull the said case and when I returned to the house, the transfer case, transmission, and front axle were no longer married to the unit. This was followed by pulling the engine, my first such forey. :hmm: Sooo...another adventure begins!

My initial idea was to have the option of brake assist or of course steering. I think the brake route is over kill but I haven't entirely ruled it out yet. The overall plan for this build is a reliable dd with bullet proof offroad capabilities, without breaking the bank. I know...how do you accomplish that? The real trick for me is to not have the Comanche totally disabled for extended periods of time.Thank you Mr. Bob. I'm kinda OCD. :rotf:

My initial idea was to have the option of brake assist or of course steering. I think the brake route is over kill but I haven't entirely ruled it out yet. The overall plan for this build is a reliable dd with bullet proof offroad capabilities, without breaking the bank. I know...how do you accomplish that? The real trick for me is to not have the Comanche totally disabled for extended periods of time.Thank you Mr. Bob. I'm kinda OCD. :rotf:

OCD...gee ya think??!

Well it takes one to know one Earl, and I'm guilty as hell.

(ya know, funny thing, when my wife says that about me, she makes it sound like a bad thing)

Keep doing that voodoo that you do...cuz from here it is @#$%in spectacular brother.

The upper and lower control arm brackets were removed.

After removing the upper brackets, I'm of the opinion that they provided a significant measure of structural integrity. So I'll be adding additional frame support before installing the Clayton 4-link long arm.

• 8 months later...

Thanks for checking out the build guys! It's been going stupid slow. I've had multiple interruptions recently. Hopefully I can get things rolling during the holidays. Doubtful though, we'll be traveling south Christmas week. Today was spent rearranging the garage, had to make room for the lawn tractor/snow blower. Our area is under it's first winter storm warning of the season. I need more MJ space...or fewer MJs. :shake:

It was necessary to temporarily move the project outside. The doors had been removed in preparation of the newer style and I had scavenged parts for the Eliminator project. The glass was also removed making the tarp necessary.

Man I love those wheels!!!!!  What kind are they?  MJ bolt pattern?

Thanks for checking out the build guys! It's been going stupid slow. I've had multiple interruptions recently. Hopefully I can get things rolling during the holidays. Doubtful though, we'll be traveling south Christmas week. Today was spent rearranging the garage, had to make room for the lawn tractor/snow blower. Our area is under it's first winter storm warning of the season. I need more MJ space...or fewer MJs. :shake:

It was necessary to temporarily move the project outside. The doors had been removed in preparation of the newer style and I had scavenged parts for the Eliminator project. The glass was also removed making the tarp necessary.

• 2 years later...