Trans-Phuzzion

I've entered an unknown to me realm and need your tech savvy direction please. I was attempting to place this unit on a transmission jack by myself. Being ignorant of how the assembly is build, when I picked up the tail end the torque converter fell out and onto the floor. :doh:

I have a few questions. First, are the reference marks in the two following pictures for orientation upon reinstallation?

Second, it appears that the seal in the above picture has been leaking for some time and needs replaced. Should the stub shaft on the torque converter be ok?

Lastly, does this spline shaft appear normal or is this wear?

:dunno:  Well, could someone tell me a good sealant to use for reassembly? The service manual states to use Three Bond TB 1281. It has excellent resistance to ATF. After searching, nothing seemed conclusive. Any recommendations?  

Transfer case mating surface. Obviously someone has been here ahead of me.

Looks factory.

About 10 seconds in I cost myself a setback. Shame on me, I know better. A little too ambitious. :wall:

Humm... Should this be replaced?

Kinda feel like I'm talkin to myself...                                                                                                                           Oh, I guess I am.

Could someone at least grunt?

For your question about the orientation of the t/c it just splines in. You should turn the t/c as you spline it in and you should feel it clunk 3 times one for each splined shaft and one for the two ears that drive the pump. Some people make the mistake of not fully splining in the t/c then damaging it or the pump when instaling the transmission.

For your question about the orientation of the t/c it just splines in. You should turn the t/c as you spline it in and you should feel it clunk 3 times one for each splined shaft and one for the two ears that drive the pump. Some people make the mistake of not fully splining in the t/c then damaging it or the pump when instaling the transmission.

Thank you Steve. I saw no reference of that procedure in the service manual. This community has been incredibly helpful. I'm attempting more challenging projects, but rely on help from those far more experience than I. 

AW 30-40LE is an Aisin 340H transmission, probably from an Isusu. Someone must have swapped it in it's past.

How do I know? I just looked it up.  :yes:

Thank you Don. I was starting to think this was anti-social media. I've been searching for the answers to my questions for two days. Today, while looking for a manual or CD on the AW4, I stumbled across a source that offered both for the AW30-80. Having cleaned the trans, I realized the 30 80 was the designation for the AW30-80. I never claimed to be the sharpest pencil in the box. Obviously you're correct about the swap. Has that option been discussed here? Never mind, I'll just look it up. :yes:

I was just lurking because this is out of my range of knowledge, too. It's sometimes wiser to watch and wait than to open one's mouth and spew foolishness.

But but but - how else are you ever going to get to 10,000 posts?

:rotf:

Really though, if you have anything to contribute, might as well chime in, even if its just a bit of foolishness to liven things up and keep the ball rolling. If you can make a guess, then guess away (just call it a guess and don't present it as gospel).

I think many would agree that Jimoshel posts the best material on these forums, Besides his wide knowledge to share, his stories and jokes are great! Might as well follow his example. :)

1.  The torque converter is not bolted in, so when handling the tranny out of the vehicle...or when reinstalling it the tranny, after the torque converter is properly seated, the trans should stay level, or slightly tilted rearward.

2. When you're handling the tranny you you should remove the CPS and other sensitive sensors,  As evidenced by the broken speed sensor (that  I  would replace at this point) things get bumped and busted.  You can re-install them just before you lift it in to place.

3.  When you are re-installing the torque converter, tilt the tranny up standing on it's rear end.  I put it on a folded up towel to set it on to avoid any damage to the output shaft splines.  Have a buddy hold it steady,  Be sure the seal is installed, place the T/C on the shaft (some folks say to fill the T/C with fluid first.  Then rotate the T/C until it clunks in, rotate it again until it clunks down a second time, and rotate it one more time until it clunks in for the third time.  It is now seated.

4. Keep it level, on the jack, unless you have a "yoke" or something to hold it in place be sure not to tilt it forward.  It may not slide all the way off, but unless it's properly seated it will not install properly.

As far as the wear marks on the front splines, I did not see anything like that on my used tranny.  It may be stock for that tranny, it may be normal wear (?), it may be because the torque converter was never seated properly in the first place when swapped in.

I was just lurking because this is out of my range of knowledge, too. It's sometimes wiser to watch and wait than to open one's mouth and spew foolishness.

But but but - how else are you ever going to get to 10,000 posts?

:rotf:

Really though, if you have anything to contribute, might as well chime in, even if its just a bit of foolishness to liven things up and keep the ball rolling. If you can make a guess, then guess away (just call it a guess and don't present it as gospel).

I think many would agree that Jimoshel posts the best material on these forums, Besides his wide knowledge to share, his stories and jokes are great! Might as well follow his example. :)

I've got a long life ahead of me to get to 10k posts and I'm sure to spread some hate and discontent along the way. And all I really knew that pertained to the situation was that a torque converter just slides in and out, but not how to index it. I love learning new stuff. And I'm great at guessing, I just prefer to make educated ones.

Kid, please entertain my brief philosophical diversion. Focus your energies on an attitude of respect and a character of integrity, and the spread of hate and discontent along the way will be minimized. The pursuit of learning and educated guessing sounds like an excellent path. :thumbsup:

I searched every forum on this site for any reference to "AW30-80" only finding this thread. That doesn't necessarily mean there isn't something here, I just couldn't find it. I could have expanded my search. Instead, I searched the net finding little more. My objective was two fold, possibly introduce new information relevant to the community, and to satisfy my curiosity. I believe Don's suggestion of the trans being swapped from an Isuzu is spot on, as usual. How do I know, I looked it up. :yes:

http://www.smartpartsauto.com/automatic_transmission_aw4.html

Performance Built AW4 Automatic Transmission and Torque Converter

This transmission has been remanufactured at our state of the art facility using the latest advancements in aftermarket technology. We have carefully engineered a process that allows a AW4 rebuild to maximize performance and durability while staying within a wholesale price range.

This heavy duty transmission is a direct replacement for Isuzu, and Jeep vehicles.

Transmission Name
  • AW4
  • 30-40LE
Vehicle Compatibility
  • D-Max
  • Fuego
  • Trooper
  • Cherokee
  • Comanche
  • Grand Cherokee
  • Wagoneer
Years Covered
  • 1987, 1988, 1989
  • 1990, 1991, 1992
  • 1993, 1994, 1995
  • 1996, 1997, 1998
  • 1999, 2000, 2001
  • 2002, 2003, 2004
  • 2005, 2006, 2007
  • 2008, 2009, 2010
New, Used, or Rebuilt
  • Performance Remanufactured

aw4_03.jpg

aw4_transmission_19.jpg
          1_17.gif2_17.gif  

• Ordering Info
  • Vehicle Info
  • Warranty
  • Our Process
ordering_info_20.jpg             List Price: $1595.00 Toll Free: 1-888-995-PART or 1-888-995-7278   Sale Price: $1,095.00       Core Deposit: $400.00 questionmark_27.gif Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am to 9:00pm CST.
Weekend and holiday hours vary   Delivery Shipping: Call for a Competitive Freight Quote     Core Return Shipping: Call for a Competitive Freight Quote                 5 Star Product Rating 5_star_27.gif         buy_now_21.jpg    
AW4 Transmission Specs and Applications Make Model Engine Years Isuzu D-Max L4 3.0L 2009-2011 Fuego L4 2.8L 2000-2002 Trooper L4 2.8L 2000-2004 Jeep Cherokee L6 4.0L 1987-2001 Comanche L6 4.0L 1990-1993 Grand Cherokee L6 4.0L 1991-1993 Wagoneer L6 4.0L 1987-1993   AW4 Info Part Number: TAW4 Gears / Type: 4 Speed Automatic Transmission Original Manufacturer: Aisin-Warner Group: AW4 series 4X2 or 4X4: We have 2 and 4WD models available. Recommended Fluid: ATF Torque Converter: We don't charge extra for necessary components. The AW4 torque converter is included with every transmission. Upgraded AW4 parts: Yes:
Performance shift kit, valve body improver kit, and more.
Please call for extreme performance upgrades Dyno Tested: Yes:
up to 35,000 RPM at an extended period of time. Inspection, Checked for: Leaks
Shifting Difficulties
Vibrations
Excessive Noise
Temperature and Performance AW4 Gear Ratios:

2.80 - First
1.53 - Second
1.00 - Third
0.75 - Fourth

Notes:

The AW4 was co-designed with AMC and Borg Warner and built by Aisin-Warner. This transmission was manufactured in the late 80's and early 90's for Isuzu and Jeep vehicles.

Hollander Interchange Numbers:
400-61063A
400-61063B
400-02220
400-02221
400-02462
400-02463
400-03693
400-03690
400-02994
400-03265
400-02223

Manufacturer part number:
THM
52104180AB
52104180AC
S-4810179

This may not be new or of interest to many. Is the Hollander Exchange Number what salvage yards use (I'm guessing Kid, and it's absolutely uneducated) to reference parts that interchange between vehicles, or something entirely different?

That's a very reasonable price for a "heavy duty" AW4 rebuilt Earl. providing just how HD it really is. I would like to know what the Performance shift kit, valve body improver kit, and more entails. Also if they offer a beefed torque converter to improve the normal 20%-30% power loss the stock AW4 provides. I'll troll around on the strokers site and see if this outfit is mentioned. The mfg. p/n (53007997) mentioned is correct for my application as well.

Kid, please entertain my brief philosophical diversion. Focus your energies on an attitude of respect and a character of integrity, and the spread of hate and discontent along the way will be minimized. The pursuit of learning and educated guessing sounds like an excellent path. :thumbsup:

But I like to spread hate and discontent. I'm like napalm. :banana: Of course, intelligence and wisdom are bound to spread some metaphorical napalm simply because some people don't agree with logic, sense, or good philosophy. One can only preach wisdom unto another if they desire to hear it. If they do not wish to hear it, it is like showing a man who is not hungry food for only a hungry man desires to eat. Ancient chinese proverb or something like that.  :hmm:  I may have paraphrased. . :MJ 1: .

As far as respect goes, that's something that has to be earned.  :soap box: I'll treat you like a human being when I meet you and as long as you act like one and don't disrespect or insult me, we'll be copacetic. But if you start acting like a monkey, I'll treat you like one. Ignore you except for when I'm dodging your crap. I could go on but I don't feel like it. I'm off to spread napalm! :driving: