Project Tetanus - H4s & Herculiner

I got the new line on, took me two trys, but its on. Bleed the brakes, 4th pump, blew another line. So Looks like I will be doing them all right now, instead of later.

Does anybody know of a kit you can buy that has all the lines pre-bent with fittings that just bolts up? I know I know, I should just be a man and drink beer and bend up lines, but thats a lot of work. I would rather tackel the hardpart with a credit card. I'm thinking I'm going to do the double booster, xj prop valve mod while I'm doing all the lines.

Got my front clip 80% reinstalled, getting a new to me XJ bumper tomorrow. After I get that I'll be all set to bolt it all back up. Got my electrical system working just about right. The only thing left to fight is the dome light. The switches are beyond repair, the bulbs arent burnt out, but the light itself doesn't ring out correctly or at all, so I'm going to replace them with something else.

-Sean

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody know of a kit you can buy that has all the lines pre-bent with fittings that just bolts up? I know I know, I should just be a man and drink beer and bend up lines, but thats a lot of work. I would rather tackel the hardpart with a credit card. I'm thinking I'm going to do the double booster, xj prop valve mod while I'm doing all the lines.

-Sean

how exactly DO you bend up brake lines without folding them? i've been wondering that in all these brake threads.

Bent the other tube and bleed the brakes ... quick trip to napa and 2 bleeder screws later .. I got brakes. I was able to take the jeep for the its first test drive today. I did about mile. It was a great feeling to finally be able to drive it around. Brakes feel tight, probably going to hold off on a complete hardline replacement until I swap axles. I also got a 95+ style bumper on the front and tow hooks from an XJ. The MJ looks nice having the front clip all put back together. The neighbors (neighbor Paul) was getting pissy with me threaten police action if I didn't move it soon. Evidently having an old MJ is a hazard to the childern and the neighborhood (aka his house value). Anway with brakes working, i can move it around and he can't hassel me anymore (especially with plates and a registration).

A couple more things :

- the horn just makes an audible click coming from the fuse area, but doesn't honk. Is this the relay? How can I identify it?

-the vinly fllooring is dirty, whats the best way to clean it?

-the truck is now back firing after its oil change ... see tech thread

If you can hear the click, then I'd guess that the relay works. have you tired putting 12volts to the horn directly yet? I never had a working horn in my 88, but for 9 years I never really cared. Then one day last summer I decided to track it down and found out that the reason the horn didn't work is that there wasn't a horn! I threw in a horn and connected it to the wire in the engine bay and voila! a working horn. :D

If you can hear the click, then I'd guess that the relay works. have you tired putting 12volts to the horn directly yet? I never had a working horn in my 88, but for 9 years I never really cared. Then one day last summer I decided to track it down and found out that the reason the horn didn't work is that there wasn't a horn! I threw in a horn and connected it to the wire in the engine bay and voila! a working horn. :D

See i was thinking that clicking meant the relay was toast, good thing I asked. No i haven't tried just running 12 volts right to it, but thats easy enough to try before I go monkeying around elsewhere. I got a working spare horn on the other truck, so if its the horn thats an easy fix.

yea thats even easier, since I tore out the lining in the fenders the horn is sitting right there and I can put a voltmeter right on it. I wonder if its just a corroded terminal preventing voltage from getting down to the horn.

The MJ is tooting now, was getting 12 volts, so I guess the horn went bad. I swapped in the parts truck horn and it honked on the first go. jamminz.gif

For Inspection I Just need:

-To get it Titled

-To get it Insured

-To get it Registered

-Windshield

-E-brake (17.99 for the main cable at napa, crossing my fingers that its what I need ... it comes in on Tuesday)

- ??? I'm sure something else will come up

Got the MJ insured, titled, and registered yesterday. All thats left is the inspection. Just need the windshield done for it to pass ... i hope.

Finished the ebrake install. NAPA came through and their computer has the right PN. It fit like factory with the exception of the grommet, which was a bit small but nothing to really care about. Interior got cleaned a bit more. I was shocked when I looked at the floor boards and saw well ... floor boards. This MJ doesn't even have a sign of rust starting on the floors. :D

I was removing my sway bar and the links snapped on me. Kinda a bummer, but ohwell, hopefully the parts jeep's fair better. I took my project jeep for a spin today. Hit 60 mph. The ride is a bit loose, but not all too scary. Steering stabilizer is shot and the sway bar is out, tires look a bit chewed up, so I bet all those things added to the random shakes I got, nothing worse then my TJ. Trans shifted a bit hard, what kind of fluid is recommend for a 2wd 5 speed? First time using 4th and 5th gears.

Getting ready for my axle swap. Going to go down this Saturday and Sunday at 8am in King George County, VA. If you want to turn wrenches let me know. I'm doing the rear Saturday and front Sunday.

-Sean

. Trans shifted a bit hard, what kind of fluid is recommend for a 2wd 5 speed? First time using 4th and 5th gears.

Getting ready for my axle swap. Going to go down this Saturday and Sunday at 8am in King George County, VA. If you want to turn wrenches let me know. I'm doing the rear Saturday and front Sunday.

-Sean

SAE 75-90W, GL-3 (NOT GL-5) rated, and it takes a bit over 2 quarts. Not knowing the history of it, I'd probably buy some cheap Costal stuff initially and run it for a few miles, then drain it and refill it with Mobil 1 or similar. Easiest way I found to refill it is to pop off the shifter and fill it via the top from inside the cab. Leave the factory fill plug out of the side of the tranny and put a drip pan under it. When you see/hear it start to dribble out, it's full....

I'd love to give you a hand this weekend, but I hafta work Saturday then make a quick trip to the junkyard, and Sunday is Easter....anything Jeep is off-limits to me says the boss... :cry:

Swapped rears today, got it done on schedule .. just under 4 hours of labor. Air tools really helped out a lot. Truck seems to have gotten about 1-2 inches in the rear going from 2wd to 4wd leafs. Makes me think I can clear 31s without issue. But tires are way down the road. Big bonus is when I popped the drums and saw shoes with atleast half of there life left. Big negative was another stripped bleeder screw. Just need to get that done and she'll be rolling again.

I'm in a moral dilemma right now if I want to do the front at all. Been thinking about what I need and if a 4wd is really needed. I mean I already got my TJ which is my wheeler (lockrite and alloys waiting for its front end). So why bother with 2 4wds? Could be done with the project tomorrow if I leave it 2wd.

My big arguement to myself is if I do put in the HP30 but don't get a new tcase or tranny what harm will it do? I can't think of any except for wasting my time. I have the axle, might as well.

Otherside of me says just throw in the new springs and get it inspected, done and done enjoy the MJ. Maybe throw a quick lock in the back for solid 2wd traction.

I'll probably hold off on swapping fronts and just do some otherstuff tomorrow. So this decision can fester awhile.

My big arguement to myself is if I do put in the HP30 but don't get a new tcase or tranny what harm will it do? I can't think of any except for wasting my time. I have the axle, might as well.

Otherside of me says just throw in the new springs and get it inspected, done and done enjoy the MJ. Maybe throw a quick lock in the back for solid 2wd traction.

If your consern is just the spinning axle, You will not hurt a thing. In your TJ Its spins all the time. Because of the disco axles many XJ/YJ/MJ had there is no spinning, but minimal advantages to this.

I say throw it in, its one step closer to 4WD!!

CW

wow ...

swapping rears = cake

swapping fronts = hell

I guess three cans of PB blaster really wasn't enough. One caliper bolt made the day go from flying to crawling and really killed me. Then once I decided to move past it and just keep on going all 4 lower shock bolts stripped right around on me. Just to confirm those are hex 13 mm nuts right? Lots of cussing, some drinking, then just said screw it and put it back together the best I could. Today wasnt the day for the front axle to come out. So I just did my front suspension upgrade and called it a day. (up country coils, 1 inch spacer, new rubber isolators, rubicon shocks, tj greasable trackbar) A real bummer though.

All in all this weekend was productive, but I'm definitely 2 steps back and only 1 forward. Suspension and axle are in, but brakes need to be bleed again and both bleeder screws are fubared (gonna need a nut welded to them for removal), and I have to replace some shock bolts.

I get my new windshield tomorrow. jamminz.gif

Don't know if it got you, but the first time I pulled my axle, I didn't realize there was nuts on those bolts that weren't welded to the axle. You were holding the otherside, right?

i was, i have done a couple TJ suspension lifts so I'm familiar with the set up on a modern jeep front axle. Which is also why I was so pissed when the rust got the better of me. But the lower nuts just flaked away when any force was applied to them. Could probably burn them out/drill them out, not exaclty a clean way to do it. I was trying to figure out a way to get my cut off wheel in there and couldn't.

I'm sorta coming to terms witha 2wd MJ for the time being. Might throw in a lunch box locker in the rear and call it a summer. With 30/31s the D35 will be relatively safe, but not really. I sorta want to blow one up just to say that I did. :D

After a week of fighting drum brakes I finally won. ended up replacing every component of the rear drums on both sides and a bunch of hardlines. Parking brake is working great.

With the 2.5L D35 gearing and 235/75/r15s on it as it is the speedo is way off. I was on the higway and I was reading 75mph but getting passed on a 55mph road, so I was probably doing 60ish. I will need to address this soon, in my TJ the speedo is a gear in the Tcase. With this being a 2wd truck, I'm guessing its in the transmission somewhere, can anyone point me in the right direction?

I also got my shift boot and shift knob installed earlier this week which has cleaned up the look of the interior a bit. I also mounted up the sway bar and links, the links are pretty short and are really close to the coils. I have some spare TJ sway bar links, which are 3 inches longer, so they might be too long, but I'm going to give them a whirl. I got my new windshield too, Safelite came through and I got it installed in the driveway in 20 minutes for 148. Not to mention the guy came when he said he was going to come, complete opposite of the cable guy.

I didn't get her in for inspection today because I finished up late helping my buddy install a rack onto his TJ, but I'm glad I did, the turn signal switch became very loose on my extended test drive today and now is tempermental about working correctly. It seems like its mount is loose, something to do tomorrow I suppose. The truck feels so smooth around 45 then the tires get the best of it and it shakes a little. All in all, I'm digging this MJ.

Took some pics of me and a friend installing the new rear and updating the 20 yr old front suspension.

The sad 2wd front axle ready for coils.

My newish D35 coming out of the parts truck

I almost creamed my roommates Galant. Boy would that have sucked.

We didn't have a lot of space to work with so we ended up picking up the axles and moving them in the air rather than rolling.

I gotta get some after pics now.

The new stance, its a slight difference. On flat ground with nothing in the bed its clear the 4wd springs have about 2 inches more arch to them. I think I got about 2ish inches or less out of the front.

The front link living dangerously close to the coil.

The rear and suspension. You can also see my Willy Wonka brake hardline on the left.

The Windshield. No inspecion ... yet.

The shifter, I think it looks money. Except for no Tcase lever ... thats a bummer.