Newbie With A Comanchee

Hey everyone, I have an 87 comanche with a 4cyl, I went out to one of my local pick and pull. I got a gauge cluster out of a renix model Jeep, but none of my guages are working. I know I need to hook some stuff up or add something for the gauges. Can anyone help me out? I'd greatly apreciate it! Also, I need some help with my turn signals. I have checked the ground, swaped the relay, and the fuse looks good. The hazard lights work, but no turn signals.

For the gauges you need to swap the senders. There's one for the oil pressure and one for the coolant temp. The coolant temp is on the back of the block, on the driver's side. The oil pressure one is near the oil filter.

As for the turn signals, first verify the correct bulbs are installed into the rear sockets. Be advised that the grounds are usually bad on these trucks and can cause havok. So start there also. Make sure the sockets are good. Thay can be bought new fairly cheaply at NAPA.

All of the turn signals work when using the hazards except one on the front passenger, but I have the bulb to replace it. Okay, I will check to see if I'm getting power to the sockets when I get out to the truck next. I also just installed a new flasher last night still to no avail.

Did you verify the correct bulbs in the rear? Someone put an 1156 into an 1157 socket on my truck when I first got it, and was doing the same as yours is. Worked on hazzards except the right front. Sounds eerily similar...

It does sound very similar. I will check that out tonight once I get off work. Thanks a bunch man. Any insight in the gauges? Besides I have to go by the sending units for the oil, and temp. What about the gas, tach, and volt?

Where is the fuel sending unit located? I'm thinking I got a bad dash, since none of the other gauges are working.

Fuel sending unit is located inside the gas tank. There is a wire that runs to it. It reads ohms from the sender and sends that signal to the dash guage. A quick test is to ground that wire momentarily (key on) and the needle should start moving to full. If not, you can rule out the sender in the tank.

Okay, I'll try that out tonight as well! Thanks alot everyone! now to just get some time to work on it and figure out how to post pictures to the forum here!

Yeah, how about some pictures slacker. :D

Sorry I wasn't much help yesterday, was on the trail riding most of the day and didn't get to check my phone very often. Let me know if you need a hand with your gauges or turn signals.

Haha I'm trying to figure the picture thing out on this forum. I might need a hand with the gauges and turn signals though. I just don't have enough mechanical know-how yet so that would be much appreciated!

Okay everyone, here are a few pictures. Will get more tomorrow!

When I picked it up!

Stoping for breakfast. My Grandfather pulling the truck home!

The day after I pull the gas tank and got her running! With a little flex test!

I got a rust-free fuel sending unit from the jy for a dummy-light dash and it works fine with my needle gauge.

They all have needle fuel gauges so the sender would work with either cluster. Its the temp and oil pressure senders that have to be changed.

Any word on the turn signals?? I am having the same issues. They were working awesome, but then they just stopped working. No blinking on the dash, no nothing. Odd thing is that there WAS an issue before this where they stopped working, and then when I hit the brakes the brake lights wouldn't work BUT the turn signal indicators on the dash would light up SOLID and stay on (as if they were receiving the current from the brake circuit. Anybody know what's going on there? I have replaced the bulbs, wire wheeled the ground behind the driver's tail light, and checked the flasher units on the fusebox. I found out that the emergency flashers DO work but when you turn them on and hit the brakes the same thing happens..the indicators light up and stay solid! HELP!