Diesel Swap

Finally found me a engine for my swap. I offered him $500 for it and he said 'come get it'.

perkins diesel 4 cyl. engine - $750 (manzanola,co)

Date: 2013-01-06, 9:49PM MST 9nkgx-3527757330@sale.craigslist.org[?]

4 cylinder diesel engine and trans complete, including wiring.out of cat forklift, runs good. 750.00 obo. 7204047442

3Kd3p83N75L95I55F8d1631c4e7810aaa1764.jpg

3Ka3F73N25L65N85H3d1673d7584cfbbd12e1.jpg

3Kd3p83N75L95I55F8d1631c4e7810aaa1764.jpg

What do you know about this engine? The reason I ask is because this looks to be an engine built primarily for industrial use. It doesn't look to be turbocharged (no turbo that I can see from the pics, anyway) so I suspect it doesn't produce much HP, although it does look a bit on the larger side...

I currently drive a 3,300lb vehicle with a turbocharged 1.9L diesel engine with 90HP. I can't imagine having much less as it is about as quick as a 2.5L Comanche.

Forktruck engine?

Sure, why not. Automotive engines are usually the source for forklift engines. Easy to get as an oem, much cheaper than building your own. Easy to work on, convert to Propane and you can run it inside a warehouse with no problems. Old Chevy inline 6 for example or Nissan diesel 6 if you like.

Well that was a wasted trip. 65 miles to see a pile of crap on a pallet. Wasn't nothing like he described on the phone. I thought he was kind of pushy when he kept insisting I send him some money to hold it. which I didn't do. I offered him scrap price for it which pissed him off so that made two of us PO'D. Anyway I didn't hit him. Oh well. Still looking.

Don't think you want a 240D for a donor as they are n/a 4 cyl. Get a 300D or 300SD with the turbo 5 cylinder. Some 300's are n/a instead of turbo. Turbo motor is OM617. Got one on an engine stand myself. If I can ever get the stinking home remodel completed then that's next on my list...maybe this summer.

• 3 weeks later...