91 Mj And Completeing The 98 Conversion

Awhile back I bought a 91 MJ for my son, and the previous owner had started the 97 and up conversion. Mine happens to be a 98. We got it running for the most part but he lost interest and Ive had no luck trying to sell it, so I'm just going to keep it. First order of business is to fix the heater controls! Its cold out side!!! I have no vacum at the control so it defaults to defrost. I have A LOT of pluged off vacum ports on the engine and I'm unsure where the vacum comes into the cab. Can anyone help with a pic of the line and where it comes from?

here is what I'm starting with

Image Not FoundImage Not Found

It might not be vacuum that's the problem. Mine did the same thing. It could be the blower motor resistor. Its about $40, but it can be replaced without pulling the box. I fussed with mine forever before someone recommended it for me.

It looks like a nice truck and if the conversion is already done, that's even better. Time for a paint job.

Well... Its vacum related. All the pick in pull yards that I knew of had no 97 or newer XJ's to compare mine to. I found another yard about 45 min from the house and they had one. I'm missing all the hard plastic lines and the vacum reserve ball. Luckily this one had them so I was able to get them. I should have functioning heat tomorrow!

got a bunch of little items worked out today! Nothing picture worthy...

Door locks installed

Heater blowing out all the vents (it was vaccum related)

Going to the U Pull It tomorrow after work to get the emision items that I'm missing and a few other odss and ends.

Just finished tearing apart the '99 that we are using for our conversion. The vaccum hose goes from the passenger front (at the ball inside the bumper) up into the passenger side of the engine compartment. It branches there for the cruise control, and then moves on to the main hose from the intake manifold. Right before it merges with the larger size hose it has a "T" for the vaccum fitting for the HVAC. My suggestions:

1) Check the ball is there and connected.

2) Check that there is actually a manifold connection to create vaccum.

If both of those are OK then look at the line itself to ensure no breaks and all open holes are plugged.

wanted to throw up some more pics of the MJ

Still working on getting the Brake Light and Air Bag lights to shut off. The E-Brake just needs hooked up and that will fix that light but the Air Bag light might be a little harder. I need to double check but I may be missing the front sensor for the air bags.

I used a TJ fuel tank in the rear most portion of the truck. You can see that it tucks up nicly and doesnt hang down much at all. It uses a factory TJ skid plate to hold it. I was thinking about upgradeing to an aftermarket skid to really protect it. I ran braided stainless line from the tank up to the fuel rail and AN fittings to make the connections.

I wish the links werent broken *hint hint* I love these conversions and I am thinking about doing one, so I like see what other people did. is there any way you can get the links to work again? or just repost them?

Thanks,

Zack

In regards to your airbag light, the XJ and TJ do not have any frontal sensors that trigger the bags. The only trigger is the accelerometer module under the center console. I would start by checking the plugs there :)

Nice progress on the truck. Glad you decided to keep it and finish the conversion!

In regards to your airbag light, the XJ and TJ do not have any frontal sensors that trigger the bags. The only trigger is the accelerometer module under the center console. I would start by checking the plugs there :)

Nice progress on the truck. Glad you decided to keep it and finish the conversion!

Agreed. I had an airbag light that ended up being the plug not fully seated in the control module. If that doesnt cure it, check the plugs to the other airbag related stuff.

Excellent! I'll start by checking all the connections. Thanks for the heads up fellows. Not a whole lot of picture worthy updates. Been busy fixing more little stuff. Scored a set of heated mirrors off a limited over the weekend. Also found a 2 door xj that I'm trying to go back for the seat hinges! I need some worm weather so I can start on the body work and get this thing looking sexy!

• 3 weeks later...