mpg rant

Pete M

Wow 22mpg jamminz.gif , I'm lucky to get 12-15 and all I got are some 31's on it. I'm changing the axles from 3.07 to 3.55 in the near future hopfully I get a couple miles back. I'm not complaining I get on it once and a while, but the highway sucks it down fast it bogs down at 65 70mph especially when I got a head wind or going up a hill it kills it, I loose mph's fast. I try to draft people to help it some.

yeah, the MJ does really well at speed. Around town really blows, I usually get around 16, but the highway cruise in 5th is great.

That was wth 1K lbs of cargo in the bed, suspension squatted 2 inches in the rear.

soon I'll have my civic DD on the road, so the MJ will only see wheeling trips and trips to home depot.

I really miss having 28 inch tires with 3.73's man was that a torquey ride, but since I went to 31's it's right about the way it was with 3.07's and 28's. On a good day it gets 16 MPG but I mostly get in the high 14's and middle 15's. Gotta love those renix MJ's and XJ's for the mileage, I haven't found nearly as many HO folks as happy with their mileage as renix folks.

....just went thru my 1st tank on the old chicken shed find. The 87 6cyl got 16.5 mpg running 235/70 15's and whatever stock rear gear is. I can't complain, I'll only use it as a severe weather back up to my daily driver, the VStar650....60 mpg and fun to ride!

Well, I put the correct speedo gear in earlier today, and filled up the tank. Now I can get a more accurate reading on mileage. I might take that 200 mile trip tomorrow, so we'll see.

Jeff

I run 33" tires with a BA 10/5 on a SOA D35 rear /5.5" front lift with 3.73 gears. I can cruise at 70 mph (and do when I have a chance) and I get @17 mpg with 240,000 miles on my rig.

Now to throw something else into this mix. The Renix setup is made for lower RPM efficiency. The HO's power band is higher because they wanted to do away with the EGR valve, and they retarded the cam shaft to do it.

I run 33" tires with a BA 10/5 on a SOA D35 rear /5.5" front lift with 3.73 gears. I can cruise at 70 mph (and do when I have a chance) and I get @17 mpg with 240,000 miles on my rig.

Now to throw something else into this mix. The Renix setup is made for lower RPM efficiency. The HO's power band is higher because they wanted to do away with the EGR valve, and they retarded the cam shaft to do it.

true, but the renix powerband is still in the 2500 RPM range.

Try driving 55 in 4th, that should put you at about 2200 rpm, see what kind of mileage you get.

true, but the renix powerband is still in the 2500 RPM range.

Try driving 55 in 4th, that should put you at about 2200 rpm, see what kind of mileage you get.

I've tried higher and lower RPMs (I used to drive to Canada a lot) and found that cruising at 70 mph (posted limit on I-5 most of the way) at @1900 RPM, I get my best fuel economy on the flat stretches.

i've basically found that my truck gets $#!T mileage anyway you look at it... but i can normally pull 20mpg on the highway stock w 4.0/manual/3.07s

round town its more like 16 but thats not the trucks fault, its the damned traffic. this whole area is rediculous.