First Time Owner And First Time Poster.

I just bought my first comanche about 4 days ago and I'm itching to learn everything about it. Its an 87 base model, automatic, 148k miles, 4.0L. The guy I bought it from has been collecting cars for quite some time and he thought that the comanche would bring him in big bucks after holding on it and sadly he was mistaken.

According to him it was in his showroom for about 15 years (he owned a dealership) so I'm no sure how much it was started or ran over the time he had it. Now for the fun part, I went to take a look at it and it wouldn't turn over, he took it to a shop and they replaced the ECU and the spark plugs and the wires. I bought it and put new tires on it and changed out the air filter and the oil was changed as well.

A few things I have noticed about it so far that I need a little bit of help on. The AC only blows out of the defrost vent in the dash and not the regular vents, there is a strange knocking sound that seems like its coming from under the driver seat that really just makes the noise when it wants to, so I don't thnik its anything mechanical, just something loose. And last is when I go over large speed bumps it makes a loud creaking noise. The shocks seem to be in good condition and my friend says it might be the bushings but I'm not completely sure.

Thanks for listening to my long rant about everything, My friend used to own a comanche and he loved the hell out of it and i'm beginning to think I'm going to be in the same boat soon.

That AC problem means you have a vacuum leak, check your vacuum lines for cuts or disconnectedness.

Once you catch the Comanche bug there is no cure so you better settle in! :MJ 2:

Also Welcome! and pics are always appreciated!

I forgot to resize before uploading so instead of bombarding you guys with the huge pictures here is the album link http://imgur.com/a/6P3bB#0

There is a little rust on the back bumper so I'm going to pull that and repaint it, also I still need to pull the carpet. All in all the body is in really good condition. There are some things I need to follow around in the cab such as a wire pushed into where the fuse for the radio is :dunno:

Thank you very much, I was very excited to get a hold of it. I did find out about one problem. The rattling I was hearing is from the exhaust near the cat bumping into something, not sure what to do to make it stop but at least it isnt anything major :thumbsup:

First off... welcome!

Your exhaust rattle may be a bad trans mount on the crossmember. If its collapsed or gone, it will cause exhaust rubbing on the crossmember.

Next, your truck has a vacuum tank mounted behind the front bumper. The vac lines run along the firewall to the pass side, then go toward the front and down behind the grille and down to the bumper to the vac tank. You could have a bad peice of hose or a break anywhere along this route. Check all the lines and repair as needed. If this isnt working your 4x4 vacuum disconnect won't work either, assuming its 4 wheel drive. If it is, youll need to check the lines going down to the front axle as well. Good luck and let us know what you find!

Is that the truck from Jacksonville? If so, you bought it just before me. I tried to buy it without seeing it. But he said he just sold it. Congrats!! I'm glad you're happy to own it. Take good care of it!

Yeah it was from jacksonville, sorry to beat you to the punch but it was a great deal it seemed.

And dasbulliwagen, I laid down under it a little while ago and bumped on the exhaust and it was coming from the area of the crossmember, I guess I need to look into what to do to take care of that. Just another project added to the list :yes:

Thank you very much, I was very excited to get a hold of it. I did find out about one problem. The rattling I was hearing is from the exhaust near the cat bumping into something, not sure what to do to make it stop but at least it isnt anything major :thumbsup:

Probably the cushion on the transmission support at the crossmember is compressing. This allows the exhaust pipe to make contact with the crossmember as the engine flexes relative to the chassis. You could replace the tranny support (big $$$), or you could shim it.

Probably the cushion on the transmission support at the crossmember is compressing. This allows the exhaust pipe to make contact with the crossmember as the engine flexes relative to the chassis. You could replace the tranny support (big $$$), or you could shim it.

whaaa? A new trans mount fixes this issue and.. its 30 bucks for the mount and about 8 bolts and its out. I changed mine in my shop on the floor with a jack and 3/8 air gun in 15 mins.

step 1 support transfer case with jack,

step 2 remove cross member bolts

step 3 remove trans mount bolts.

reverse order and its done.

Now exhaust sits over an inch from the cross member instead of laying ON it.

Welcome!

The creaking noise is most likely the rubber bushings in your rear leaf springs. Kind of a pain to change those out since you'll need to support the whole rear of the truck, essentially drop the rear axle out and replace each bushing (two per leaf spring, so four total) with a press. I haven't personally done it, but I've watched it being done and there was plenty of cursing involved! I think it's about $60 in parts for the bushings.

whaaa? A new trans mount fixes this issue and.. its 30 bucks for the mount and about 8 bolts and its out. I changed mine in my shop on the floor with a jack and 3/8 air gun in 15 mins.

step 1 support transfer case with jack,

step 2 remove cross member bolts

step 3 remove trans mount bolts.

reverse order and its done.

Now exhaust sits over an inch from the cross member instead of laying ON it.

I was actually able to pull this off luckly, turned it on for a bit and I didn't hear the rattling anymore, I ran across your post and just went ahead and did it. It took me wwaaayyyyyy longer then it needed to but I finished it out.

And if it is the bushings then i'm not looking forward to trying to get all of that figured out.

Also, thank you everyone for the warm welcome :thumbsup: