Renix To Ho Tps Adapter

How to adapt your Renix throttle postion sensor (TPS) to a HO throttle body (TB) for $1.01, approx.

After doing lots of research and thread hopping i have found several different approaches to this conundrum. I even tried a few of them, but either

A. couldnt find the components

B. didnt like the design

or

C. costly

soooo, i choose to create my own, BEGIN THE DIY WRITEUP!

Here is picture of all the components, tools, and other items i used.

Image Not Found

for tools all you need is a . . .

Dremel with some kind of grinding bit (see picture(s)

LARGE flat head screwdriver

torx socket & ratchet

I have an allen wrench nut driver because of the bolts i used, you will NOT need this unless the bolts you buy require it.

Now, onto the rest. In order to make my adapter work you must have a Renix TB.

On your Renix TB, remove the TPS sensor (TIP: to ensure you do not break the bolts off inside the TB, slightly tighten the two torxs bolts that hold it to the TB, this will break the bolts free of the locktite, trust me on this.)

Image Not Found

Once the sensor is free and out of the way take a look at how the Renix TPS functioned. On the TB itself you will see a small arm sticking off of a stem coming out the side where you removed the TPS from.

Image Not Found

Using your LARGE flat head screw driver pry off that little arm.Image Not Found

It does come off, it just takes a little encouraging, don't worry to much about bending it as it is easy to correct, BUT do be extra careful as to not break off the arm piece. Once off this is what you shold have.

Image Not Found

Now with the arm removed the next step is to imploy your trusty dusty dremel. (TIP: A vice makes this next step much easier.)

Take your dremel and grind out ever so slightly on the top and bottom, (V see pictures V)

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Now, if you look on your HO TB you will (should) see a tab sticking out of its side where its original TPS was mounted to.

Image Not Found

The purpose of the grinding you just did on that little arm apparatus was to make just enough room to allow it to slip over this tab, I had to grind it down two or three times before the hole was large enough. You want to make this as perfect of a fit as possible, so take your time.

Once it slips over the tab it should look a little like this.

Image Not Found

The next phase is to source two new bolts and some spacers.

The best way to find the proper bolts is to take in your old ones and compare until you find a set that will work, TSC, LOWES, HOME depot, all have a section of specialty nuts/bolts/washers in their hardware isle.

These are the bolts I used, I apologize as i do not have the dimensions for them. And i apologize again because, since i am apprently a "preferred" customer at Fastenal i was given them free of charge B) , but in reality they could not have been more than a dollar, tops.

Image Not Found

and here are the spacers i used, from Lowes, for $1.01, I even have my reciept to prove it :rotfl2: They make a 100% perfect fit

Image Not Found

Now that you've got your spacers, bolts and have the "fixed" renix arm you might be thinking "alright now its time to bolt it up!" Not quite skippy.

The last thing on the to do list is to break out that Dremel one last time and wallow out the bolt holes on either side of your Renix TPS. Focus 100% of your efforts on the INSIDE of the slots, it only needs a little so don't go hog wild.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

The original Renix TPS bolt slots do not line up with the HO bolt holes, doing the above will correct this.

Once the slots are widened you should now be ready to put this baby together.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Congradualtions! You have just saved yourself a possible bill of $145 bucks, that is if you were to buy your adapter from Hesco.

Here is a video of the adapter in action.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

More air flow with a much larger butterfly. Also way easier and cheaper for intakes as it doesn't have some freak connection.

Nice write up. Did you notice a big performance difference? How is throttle response? Does the stock air intake match up?

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately i never got to test it out, had to pull all my money out from building my motor and pay for college classes. If the intake is all you will be doing its probably not worth it. Throttle response, can't answer read first part. Air intake? If you mean the air box hoses, no. Renix and HO do not match up, just go snag yourself one from any old junker. Be sure is from a non Renix, obviously. And if you where talking about intake manifold to head matching up, yes and no. I am not 100% sure on exactly what head year will bolt to what intake year and so on and so forth. I do know all 4.0 heads are interchangeable, no matter the year. and you have three distinct intake manifolds over the years. (87-90 Renix) Ok (91-98 old HO) Better ( 99-04 new HO) Best

Hope this answered your question, :)

ftpiercecracker

Does this mean that I could put the complete HO engine that I have mothballed, into my Renix 87 using this TPS, Renix flywheel and CPS, Distributor,

and convert the Renix fuel system to work with the HO fuel system, I also have a HO MJ pump assy to help make this work.

What do you think?

This would help me lots on my 87 build as I wouldn't have to swap dash and engine parts to run the HO motor in my 87.

One more thing, is this adjusted with a multimeter same way a stock Renix would be?

I see so you did the TPS swap so you could use the entire HO intake from the air box and hoses to the manifold?

Thats just a bonus, the real reason people do this is so you can use the newer intake manifolds, 99-04.

Does this mean that I could put the complete HO engine that I have mothballed, into my Renix 87 using this TPS, Renix flywheel and CPS, Distributor,

and convert the Renix fuel system to work with the HO fuel system, I also have a HO MJ pump assy to help make this work.

What do you think?

This would help me lots on my 87 build as I wouldn't have to swap dash and engine parts to run the HO motor in my 87.

One more thing, is this adjusted with a multimeter same way a stock Renix would be?

To get the best of everything that the HO offers without doing a total engine swap, get yourself a 7120 cast # head, any year any model jeep that came with the 4.0, a 99-04 intake manifold, fuel rail and lines from your HO motor, HO throttle body, and air cleaner. You will also need the power steering pump from a 96 or newer jeep that has the 4.0, any model. As for the exhaust manifold, stick with the Renix, HOs don't have the O2 bung you need.

Based on what you have, a total HO swap or hybrid could probably be done in a day.

There are many MANY writeups on Renix to HO swaps out there, so poke around.

• 1 month later...

Sorry bud but i still don't know the dimensions. My best advice to you is to take the TB to lowes/homedpot/Tractor supply and look in their specialty hardware bins. Just try different ones out until you find a winner.

I was hoping someone would build this and try it out on their rig, i did this writeup months ago and still havent gotten to actually try it myself so i don't even know if it works. :crossfingers:

I built this mod last night.  The screws that fit my setup were 10x32x 1 1/2".  if you can find 1 3/4" ones that would work better I think.  Or get 2" and cut them down to 1 3/4".  That would give you  more thread into the throttle body.  Hope that helps!!

Larry

I built this setup tonight as a matter of fact for my 4.7L stroker for my XJ.  I just HAPPENED to have two screws of the right size and pitch, all I had to do to them was cut them to the right length.  I followed your write-up to a tee and will be finding out in the next couple of days if she works for a running engine.  In practice, it seems to be doing great.  I'll snap some additional pictures and post them here.

I built this setup tonight as a matter of fact for my 4.7L stroker for my XJ.  I just HAPPENED to have two screws of the right size and pitch, all I had to do to them was cut them to the right length.  I followed your write-up to a tee and will be finding out in the next couple of days if she works for a running engine.  In practice, it seems to be doing great.  I'll snap some additional pictures and post them here.

:crossfingers:  :crossfingers: :crossfingers:     Hope it works out,    :peek:    definately let me know how it goes.

As for the screws, I still have mine and can go back to fastenal and pick up more for those who need them. Maybe i can even get them for free again.  :brows: 

• 2 weeks later...

Update:   I am very happy to report this mod works with 100% effectiveness.  :D   I finished installing a junkyard engine about a week ago and have driven the truck several times since then with outstanding results.

Hope it works as well for everybody else . . . looks like Hesco has some competition. :brows:

If you had dremmeld (spelling?) out a little more on the TPS you could have prevented from haveing to grind on what looks to be a nice new TB. :(

Image Not Found

I hope it works out for you as well as it has for me. :)   BTW you don't have any specs on that stroker of yours do you?

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...