The Stereos on our MJ's

I am going to begin interior upgrades this spring. new carpet & headliner. SCRUB door panels and seats (Hopefully my TJ seats) Then lighting and speakers. :brows:

Here is what I have: I have what I consider a good head unit. Its a Alpine Model 9843. Pleant of power and accessories for me. its about a year old. I also have a set of Infinity Kappa 5010's component 5.25 speakers for the front doors. (Not installed) Out back, I am currently using 6X9's in speaker boxes behind the seats. I LOVE the sound but HATE loosing the storage space. I am strongly considering a set of 4x6 Infinity Kappa 462.7 cfp's for the rear. In factory locations.

I am wondering how much the sound will change. I know the QUALITY of the sound is going to be better. But will it be as loud? I HAD 4X6 Boston Acoustics in the dash of my TJ. I swapped in a set of 5.25 round Infinitys. I like it MUCH better.

I guess I am just worried/wondering about the 4X6 Infinitys....

Got any comments, lay them on me!!

OH, I don't really want or need to run a amp. (Its plenty loud)

CW

When I go to upgrade the sound, I'm going to get the headlier re done but before that, I'm going to fab some speaker boxes out of wood and cover them in headliner material, mount them up in the upper cab corners. No loss of storage space and none of that muffled sound from the seat (I like my bench)

In my mj we have 2 6x9 and 2 6in sony Explods and they sound great they are cheap if i blow one it a short trip to walmart and there fixed no problem. There is no drone tones its all sharp sounds. all this with my slim fit sub it perfect.

When I go to upgrade the sound, I'm going to get the headlier re done but before that, I'm going to fab some speaker boxes out of wood and cover them in headliner material, mount them up in the upper cab corners. No loss of storage space and none of that muffled sound from the seat (I like my bench)

doing something similar on my bro's headliner....

we're putting a grand cherokee message center center console in it, except that I removed the message center system to fit a radar detector behind the "screen", and we're putting his switches for his lights and everything in the middle.

then he got a cherokee sound bar and cut it down, so that the speakers will fit in the corner.

we're fiberglassing over the headliner first, then doing the other side so that it's solid to work with, then fiberglassing the OHC in and then the speakers. we have brand new material to put in it's place.

I HIGHLY recommend that anyone who ever redoes a headliner at least coats it in fiberglass resin before they put the new material on it...otherwise it will just peel and sag again.

anyways, this is a solution to your speaker behind the seat problem

My Set-up:

I personally love the sound of 6x9s and run em in my doors. I also love the sound of a nice hitting sub (not a ricer thudd, but a clean pump pump pump), so I've got a 12 behind the seat.

The 6x9s are JBLs and the only speaker I found that was nicer was the the Infinity model which was a little lacking in the highs for me.

The speakers need an amp though for their full potential, as my deck just can't put out the power.

The sub's an MTX and works great for a pick-up, but my demands call for a second.

Running a sub behind the seat says goodbye to interior storage space.

When I siad no amp, I was thinking of it running the main 4 speakers...not a sub. But this could be an option IF there is subs out there that won't be as large or take up as much space as the two 6X9's do now...

Pete, so you are saying you HAD a sub/amp but removed it and STILL like the sound of the factory sized speaker in the factory positions??

Please explain for me...

CW

CW, in the spring I’ll do your headliner - it’s a snap to do ! After all I’ve done it in the MJ and XJ. When we remove the interior and take out the carpet we can clean the floor nice, fix any rust that might be there and re install the carpet if you like. I took mine right out and use bed liner material and coated the entire floor and I like it better but you interior is going to get a bit louder than before - no big deal just turn up the radio!!!! I upgraded my radio to a pioneer unit which is plenty loud. I installed 6.5 inch quality speakers in the front panels - I had to trim the cardboard panels from the inside only, this is not visible from the outside so you can not tell at all. In back I remove the factory 4 x6inch speakers and installed another set of Bose 4x6 inch. When I was there I notice that larger set of 6.5 or even 6x9 can be made to work too but I did not have a set handy so I settle for the 4x6 set. Once I put everything back together it actually sounds very nice and is very clear. The speakers put out nice highs and lows plus keep in mind is a small cab so it will definitely fill it with quality sound.

i run 6x9s in separate mini boxes behind the seat (400w/200rms audiobahns) off a VERY similar headunit, alpine... don't know the number (looks to be the same just one model older) and two pioneer 5somethings in the front.

sound is AMAZING... but i can't get the right rear 6x9 to work, and then the right front speaker stopped working...

literally the sound from the two left speakers is PLENTY. on 25/35 (volume) i want to turn it down. and i LOVE loud music.

i don't think you'd have any regret runnin them behind the seats, i still throw all sorts of stuff back there. just make sure they've got grills.

I also love the sound of a nice hitting sub (not a ricer thudd, but a clean pump pump pump), so I've got a 12 behind the seat.

what u don't enjoy the sound of rattling plastic

The cracks in my dash are expanding and starting to rattle, and my rear window is a slider, with the left pane being plexiglass, and that rattles like a hoofer.

CW, do you think you'd be against the sound of 4x6s or 6x9s in the doors?

I know you said your TJ had em in the dash, but they should sound great in the door of a pickup.

New rams are set-up like this, and sound awesome too.

Pete, so you are saying you HAD a sub/amp but removed it and STILL like the sound of the factory sized speaker in the factory positions??

Please explain for me...

CW

Sorry, had to type it quick, apparently a bit too quick. :D

I had a 4 channel amp powering the front speakers and the 6x9s and another 2 channel powering the sub. I then took out the 6x9s and the 2 channel amp and ran the sub off the first amp. I also had a small equalizer in the mix too. Later on I stole the 4 channel amp and sub for use in the dakota and found that the radio alone couldn't put out enough sound to be heard over the wind noise of my truck doing 65 across Kansas (with the windows down) so I will probably steal the radio and speakers and put them into the 90 (with a new amp I'm sure). Eventually I'll probably put my new CB in the 88's radio hole, but that's a story for another day... :D

Well I splurged...I ordered the 4x6 Infinity Kappas..

If its not enough, I'll throw a amp in with the same speakers and that will do it!!

Here is my front speakers:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hEZfElQeK5 ... ailed_info

Here is the rears:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Na1voRz8CB ... ailed_info

CW

Does anyone know if the stock wiring in the comanches already have the factory speaker connections for the under the dash speakers found in the 6 speaker Cherokees? I've looked for the connections, but I haven't found them yet. Just wanted to check if I was wasting my time.

Well I splurged...I ordered the 4x6 Infinity Kappas..

If its not enough, I'll throw a amp in with the same speakers and that will do it!!

Here is my front speakers:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hEZfElQeK5 ... ailed_info

Here is the rears:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Na1voRz8CB ... ailed_info

CW

It will be well worth the splurge, I have nearly the same setup, including the Pioneer deck DEH P7700 which I do not think they make anymore. I made sure I put loads of insulation in my doors, and rear area. I also made my doors as water tight as possible with plastic and duck tape. I have a cheap clarion subwoofer that I wanted to add, but I like the sound as is.

Does anyone know if the stock wiring in the comanches already have the factory speaker connections for the under the dash speakers found in the 6 speaker Cherokees? I've looked for the connections, but I haven't found them yet. Just wanted to check if I was wasting my time.

No i don't think they do. Cherokees with the 6 speeker setup had a sound bar attached to the headliner, 2 doors in the rear hatch, and 2 in the front doors. I've never seen or heard of in-dash ones from factory, but I know with some enginuity you can get them into the kneeboard. some people even put them in the kick panel :D

There was a 6 speaker setup for Cherokee that didn't have an overhead sound bar. My 90 XJ has the speakers in the knee panels and I was hoping the harness would have been the same in my 89 MJ so I could get the extra 2 speakers with little or no effort. There isn't a huge sound that come out of those speakers, but they are noticeable.

There was a 6 speaker setup for Cherokee that didn't have an overhead sound bar. My 90 XJ has the speakers in the knee panels and I was hoping the harness would have been the same in my 89 MJ so I could get the extra 2 speakers with little or no effort. There isn't a huge sound that come out of those speakers, but they are noticeable.

so that's what those grilles are for on the corners. weelll it's gonna tkae a little effort but it's not like it's hard...just get speakers that fit and mount them up however you need to, then run 2 wires to your stereo per speaker.

They're about 2-3 inches in diameter. I'm not sure of the true specs. I went to a local junkyard and found an uncracked knee panel (rare, I know) and went ahead and left the speakers on. They are part numbers 36001123 & 56002013, if that's of any help.

They're about 2-3 inches in diameter. I'm not sure of the true specs. I went to a local junkyard and found an uncracked knee panel (rare, I know) and went ahead and left the speakers on. They are part numbers 36001123 & 56002013, if that's of any help.

I don't think part numbers do anyone on this forum very good...we just find something that looks good and mess with it til it fits? haha new stuff is for people with $$$$...not me :P