2.8 swap

well my tired 2.8 took its last breathe so its time for a new one. i found a low mile one for 150 bucks on the craigslist machine. will any 2.8 bolt up? or do i have to worry about some things? its an ax5 not a frenchie trans

Any REAR WHEEL DRIVE 2.8 will bolt up, they were commonly found in S10 pickup trucks. So will any rear wheel drive 3.1 or 3.4 (out of a Camaro for example) for a bit extra grunt. They use the same block so all your accessories and carburetor will swap over.

I personally love the 2.8 , my 2.8 other than being gutless put up with alot of abuse and neglect from me for the first 4 or 5 years before I decided to try and take care of it . Now with all that said after I swapped in the 3.4 and felt the power increase I was sold . The swap does include its own hurdles and increased cost compared just droping in another 2.8 but they are well worth it . If you do decide to go with another 2.8 why not just rebuild what you have if it is serviceable or atleast rebuild the doner ? Doing that will IMO do more for you in the long run than just replacing it with something else wether it be another 2.8 or a 3.4 as you will learn the basics of rebuilding an engine and it can be on be done on the cheap. Anyhow any RWD pushrod 2.8 3.1 or 3.4 will fit , they were all neutrally balanced from IIRC 1988 on and some will require an electric fuel pump and some other small things .

• 4 weeks later...