XJ with bench seat?

this may sound odd to some but ive always liked a bench seat better than bucket seats. how hard would it be to take an MJ bench seat with a mini console out of an automatic and put it in my 00' XJ? the power bucket seats don't work too well anymore and the center console has seen better days. plus it would be something different than the "traditional" XJ.

Josh

:fs1: damn you thats exactly what iv been wanting to do for years now (if I only had an xj) , I love the bench seat and think it would be awsome in an xj and I don't think it would take much to swap it over . My plan was ( if I ever got an xj) was to just find someone with an mj and trade everything straight across which shouldn't be to hard as buckets in an mj are like gold for some reason so finding someone to trade with should be easy.

It would be an easy swap, but the MJ bench seats suck. First of all almost all you would find are old and butt sprung. Unless you could put in a bench from another vehicle, like an S-10 e.g.

My brother in law has an older XJ with a bench seat and a mini console...me no like, but it's hard to make out on buckets.

Having just done the opposite I can say for sure that you will need to switch the mounting brackets off the bottom of the slider rails, I have either a blue or a tan bench if you're interested, the tan one even would come with the auto mini console, although the shipping to Ohio would be a problem...

this may sound odd to some but ive always liked a bench seat better than bucket seats. how hard would it be to take an MJ bench seat with a mini console out of an automatic and put it in my 00' XJ? the power bucket seats don't work too well anymore and the center console has seen better days. plus it would be something different than the "traditional" XJ.

Josh

No doubt it could be done, but WHY? The XJ seats 5 as is, to make the center front passanger comfortable, you would need to get rid of the center console, I would think.

Posts here tell you how to use MJ bench seat mounting brackets for a change to bucket seats. So just do the reverse. Use bucket seat brakets from the XJ to mount the MJ bench seat. Would think you would want to move the XJ shifter to the column, if it is an automatic. For sake of the front center passanger.

• 1 month later...

Josh

No doubt it could be done, but WHY? The XJ seats 5 as is, to make the center front passanger comfortable, you would need to get rid of the center console, I would think.

Posts here tell you how to use MJ bench seat mounting brackets for a change to bucket seats. So just do the reverse. Use bucket seat brakets from the XJ to mount the MJ bench seat. Would think you would want to move the XJ shifter to the column, if it is an automatic. For sake of the front center passanger.

Baby seat in the middle. :rotf: umn.gif