Crappy Little Buzzer

Anybody got a picture of what that $#!&ty little annoying buzzer looks like; and where it's located? Call me crazy, but I wish mine had one, or, I wish the PO didn't rip it out of the truck. :mad:

Anybody got a lead on where a fellow can get one of these things and install? Easy or hard install? Help is appreciated. Kind of going for that definitive retro styling here. :shake:

For whatever reason, if you have NO IDEA what this buzzer sounds like (seriously, who doesn't?) here it is.

aAa2xVQQ5es

Short buzzer story.

In 98 I go to Bennett Auto Sales to buy a 97 Ranger. Bennett was one of those dealers who sold only 1-2 year old cars.

First thing I do the first day is rip out the buzzer. In doing so I realize the truck was a flood truck.

Save you the sap...........I threaten to sue First Union Bank because Bennett refused to accept the truck back. After three weeks of phone calls and certified letters I got a letter of apology from First Union's attorney along with the title to the truck. I then sold the truck to a Honda dealer for $7500, full disclosure and they wanted the truck for a shop truck.

In the mean time and prior to the deal with First Union I bought a new 98 which I drove up to last year.

Buzzers suck and I'm grateful they do.

There are three different colors, they all interchange, but have different functionality. I think black is the basic one, there are two other colors, one of which I think adds a buzzer for one more function (lights on without key?) and one adds the headlight sentinel. Can't remember which color those two are, though.

The blue buzzer adds the headlight on warning and key in ignition. I believe black's only function is seatbelt warning.

Black does key in ignition and headlights as well. The newer ones are all the same color.

I do believe ripping the buzzer out was the very first mod I did to my truck. :yes:

:yes: So I've gathered that most people hate this little thing. I'll probably try it out for a while before I seriously commit to it then.

^^ Fiatslug's pic.

The black chime module does not have the LIGHTS ON alarm; the blue one does and that is the only difference between the two. The Mopar part number for the BLUE case 8-pin Buzzer Warning Module (the black module does not have the LIGHTS ON alarm) is 56001076. $15.95 from Chrysler Parts Direct.

Just an FYI on this subject

If you want to disable the seatbelt buzzer but retain the headlite alarm, just unplug the drivers seatbelt wire. There is a plug just under the carpet where the wire disappears.

Pretty sure the blue one also has the headlight sentinel feature. Turn off the ignition first, then the lights and the headlights will stay on for about a minute. Turn of the lights first and they go off immediately.

Pretty sure the blue one also has the headlight sentinel feature. Turn off the ignition first, then the lights and the headlights will stay on for about a minute. Turn of the lights first and they go off immediately.

The head lamp sentinel delay feature is controlled by yet another module and has nothing to do with the chime module. Too many dayem modules..............

Image Not Found

My memory may be faulty, but I'm pretty sure when I changed the black chime out for a blue one I got the sentinel feature in my 87 Pioneer. I know I've never changed that metal box, nor do I even know where it goes.

My memory may be faulty, but I'm pretty sure when I changed the black chime out for a blue one I got the sentinel feature in my 87 Pioneer. I know I've never changed that metal box, nor do I even know where it goes.

The head lamp Sentinel module is screwed to the dash brace under the cluster. You must have always had it in there then. If you unplug it, you'll lose the head lamp delay.

^^ Fiatslug's pic.

The black chime module does not have the LIGHTS ON alarm; the blue one does and that is the only difference between the two. The Mopar part number for the BLUE case 8-pin Buzzer Warning Module (the black module does not have the LIGHTS ON alarm) is 56001076. $15.95 from Chrysler Parts Direct.

The 56001077 black chime module I am holding does technically contain the lights on alarm. However, the older XJ/MJ models are wired differently and require two different modules. 1995 and up(Might be earlier too) are wired for all the functions using six wires with the black chime module. The easy way to tell which type your XJ/MJ is by looking at the connector. Newer connectors will be missing the #5 and #8 terminals. The blue chime module functionality on the earlier models can be replicated by jumping the lights on terminal to terminal 6. Terminal 6 handles both lights on and key in functionality on the newer modules. If I had access to the older wiring diagrams or factory service manuals I could give the exact details.

Here's how the blue chime module is wired. This is looking at the module from the bottom. Snip off / disconnect whichever pins you don't want. Like the seat belt, key, etc. Most important to me is the head lamp ON alarm. And that can only be found on the blue chime module.

[tab]

[4] [3] [2] [1]

[8] [7] [6] [5]

The tab is the lock tab that holds the buzzer in. Pin 5 is a blank.

Pin 1 is power

Pin 2 goes to the instrument cluster

Pin 3 is ground

Pin 4 is the seat belt input

Pin 5 doesn't exist

Pin 6 is the door switch input

Pin 7 is the key in input

Pin 8 is the headlight input

If you cut off pins 4 and 7, you will still have the headlights warning but no key in or seat belt buzzer.

Just wanted to know if this was normal. Got a buzzer from Alexia and it works. Problem is, it won't warn me that my keys are still in the ignition unless I push the keys in and make the switch contact the the column. Isn't it supposed to just keep buzzing like crazy if the keys are just sitting in the ignition switch? Even with the door open, it still won't kick on and warn me that I forgot them.

In both my 25 year old MJs (read: probably worn out ignition switch) even in the accessory position with the door open if I tug on the key a little the buzzer shuts off and stays off unless I push it back in the fraction that it pulled out.

On most cars with the ignition off you can pull the key out far enough to stop the buzzer without completely removing it.

The signal (ground) for the KEY IN alarm is a thin piece of spring metal that applies a ground signal on the ignition cylinder to the chime module when the key is inserted. Over the years, the spring clip looses it's tension and corrosion builds up at the contact point so it doesn't make good contact as it should.

Last time I had the column apart I cleaned it up and bent the clip a little for better contact. It worked well for about a year, now it's hit and miss again. Very poor engineering on Saginaw's part....................

The signal (ground) for the KEY IN alarm is a thin piece of spring metal that applies a ground signal on the ignition cylinder to the chime module when the key is inserted. Over the years, the spring clip looses it's tension and corrosion builds up at the contact point so it doesn't make good contact as it should.

Last time I had the column apart I cleaned it up and bent the clip a little for better contact. It worked well for about a year, now it's hit and miss again. Very poor engineering on Saginaw's part....................

Ouch. I would have figured it would have been engineered a little.... better? No big surprise there though. Sometimes I wonder how AMC even got away with some of the factory setups I've seen on this truck. :roll:

I disconnected the lock button on the drivers door and so now I need the key to lock the door. haven't forgotten my keys yet. :D (and more importantly, I haven't locked them inside since) :yes:

Can't blame this one on AMC, although AMC did some stupid engineering too at the end to cut costs. Saginaw, a sub of GM, built the pre-airbag Jeep steering columns.

:oops: Whoops. Breezed right over that last line of your previous post. My mistake.