Turn signal problems

I bought my MJ with the Turn signals not working I originally thought it was due to a blown fuse. I replaced it and still nothing. When I put then turn signal on the little arrow indicators do not even flash. I figure its either the Switch or the flasher relay.

Any ideas?

Hmm well mine is a standard so thats a thought...I would not have thought of that one Thanks!

Went out and did a full test Headlights work along with runners below the headlights work, tail light runners work. Brake lights work, Reverse lights work.

Turn signals do not work with the headlights on or off. (Front and rear) and nothing on the interior.

4Ways do not work anywhere unless I put on the left blinker then the left arrow on the dash lights up solid along with the taillight.. I don't hear any clicking from the flasher. Also I pulled all the bulbs to make sure and they are all in good shape.

No voltage to any sockets?

According to my wiring diagram, the things in common to both front and rear signals are:

15 amp Haz/Stop fuse. Is it good?

Flashers themselves. Maybe replace them

Turn signal/Hazard switch.

At the base of the steering column is the turn signal/flasher connector. It's long and flat. Check to see if it's plugged in all the way. Probably best to unplug it and plug it back in.

According to my wiring diagram, the things in common to both front and rear signals are:

At the base of the steering column is the turn signal/flasher connector. It's long and flat. Check to see if it's plugged in all the way. Probably best to unplug it and plug it back in.

Correct no voltage at any socket.

I know the fuse is good, I will look at the switch connections next and if that does not work I will try replacing the flashers.

Update.

Replaced both the Tun signal, and Hazard flasher units on the fuse box. This fixed the Hazard flashers. But not the Turn signals. However I have a question when the hazard flashers are on, do the side lights in the front blink? In my case they are not. I know the problem is not the fuse because from my research the reverse lights are on the same circuit and those work. I thought it might be the actual switch on the steering column, I made sure it was plugged in. Still nothing but my Brights do come on so i know that part of the switch still works. The other thought is like 88eliminator said the sockets.

Any thoughts?

Update.

Replaced both the Tun signal, and Hazard flasher units on the fuse box. This fixed the Hazard flashers. But not the Turn signals. However I have a question when the hazard flashers are on, do the side lights in the front blink? In my case they are not. I know the problem is not the fuse because from my research the reverse lights are on the same circuit and those work. I thought it might be the actual switch on the steering column, I made sure it was plugged in. Still nothing but my Brights do come on so i know that part of the switch still works. The other thought is like 88eliminator said the sockets.

Any thoughts?

Well, we know it's not the sockets then. And no, the side markers don't blink in 1987. IIRC, that started in 89 or 90.

You did unplug and replug in that connector for the turn signal switch at the base of the steering column?

• 3 months later...

I'm having exactly this same problem. Did this one ever get resolved? Mine worked fine when I got the truck, but since getting it back last weekend from having it painted the blinkers and hazards aren't working. I popped the hood and messed with a plug looking thing on the driver side fender (I read somewhere on here that there's a ground screw around there somewhere but couldn't find it, and when I unplugged whatever it was the truck started to die so I plugged that back in) and jiggled wires under the dash, started working for about 5 minutes then quit again. I'm going to try to find that plug under the steering column that was mentioned earlier in this thread and see if that works. Is there a blinker solenoid that may be bad?

Yes but I did buy a new switch so I will try replacing it.

I had a problem when my brake lights did not work. However, my running lights, turn signals and flashers all worked. I replaced the switch in the steering column. Problem fixed!

So investigated further theis weekend. Ground is good on fender. When trying the hazards with headlights on the left arrow on dash lights up but that's it, nothing outside lights up, and turn the headlights (or the hazards) off the arrow goes off. Still no turn signals. Bright lights do work if that matters. Downloaded and printed electrical troubleshooting guide, wasn't a whole lot of help (to me at least) as these are on different fuses and different flash relays.

Read somewhere else it may be the hazard switch. Any thoughts on that, and if I'm going in that far (assume I'll have to tear down the steering column) should I go ahead and replace the turn signal wand as well.

If so would one off a model with cruise work even though mine doesn't have cruise, in doing this could I add cruise as well (mine is a '88 4.0 manual, donor would be '90 4.0 auto)? If so what other parts would I need off the donor?

This weekend was nice so arm signals weren't so bad, but in a month or two or in the rain it'll suck pretty bad, although I do have about 6 months to go til next inspection.

not sure.... on mine all my running lights blew. turned out when putting my trim back on the floor i ran a screw threw the wires next to the drivers seat and everything shorted... pulled the screw and replaced all the fuses and now no problems. not sure what else it could be unless maybe a broken wire by the PO

• 4 years later...

Hey guys. Just bought an 87 MJ 2.5L standard and this thing has a few gremlins I'm trying to fix. The turn signals are my biggest concern. The hazards turn on but only if u have the headlights off. The front lower lights don't turn on at all but the side markers do as hazards. Break lights work, not sure on the rev lights as I'm replacing the bulb tomorrow and my dash cluster does not light up either. Anywhere I can start? Tyia.

http://comancheclub.com/topic/41500-mj-light-bulb-list-led-replacements/

First make sure all the bulbs are correct. If there's a single-filament bulb in a double-filament socket it'll cause funky problems.

If there's trailer wires added, they're usually pretty crudely hacked in and could be causing issues.

The headlight switch itself is also worth looking at. Your connector is probably melted, but even if it isn't you'll want to consider upgrading your headlight wiring with a relay harness.

One more thing regarding the headlight switch and your dash lights, if you spin the knob it dims them. You probably already knew that, but if the lights flicker or come on and off when you turn it, you'll want to replace the headlight switch for sure.

• 6 months later...

Reviving a dead thread because my signals aren't working now and I'm trying to troubleshoot and research.

My hazards work fine. Blinking on gauge cluster, blinking from all lights.

Both driver and passenger turn signals don't work. Brake lights, turn signals, and side markers all just stay lit with no blinking. Gauge cluster light stays lit with no blinking.

Can you take a picture of this turn signal/flasher connector that you mentioned? I looked under my dash down by the pedals and saw a ton of wiring but have no idea what any of it is.

• 1 year later...

Reviving the thread: 

I have an 88 Comanche 4.0.

Left Turn signals will not work when the motor is running and lights are on. When the lights are on the left green arrow stays illuminated.  When flasher is in the left turn position the lights are not flashing when it is in right turn position rear signal flashes but not the front. I replaced the relay, Ignition switch, all fuses and bulbs and still no luck I don't believe it is a bad switch but I'm getting ready to break the steering wheel column down. Please help!