The Wyomanche

Been researching and stressing a bit about paint for this truck. I'm not set up with any sort of painting or body tools, or a way to get this painted w/o making a huge mess. In my research, I found this thread: Gotta read into it a bit to see how and why the guy with the orange charger painted his car for 50 bucks.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/sho ... art=1&vc=1

I'm gonna do it.

Project update.

Parts are starting to come from my rockauto order last week. Cooling parts, couple seals... nothing worth a pic.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I know its been ALONG time since I updated this. Ive been busy catching these:

and these

to work on this thing! I do have a few months worth of some minor things I was able to get done..

Little body work on the box. Skim of bondo in a few spots..

What I found on the drivers side near the fuel door... Truck must have been in a accident at one time. The "B" pillar and the the door where covered in bondo..

Fixed the cracked door hinge. I cut the top one right off and rewelded; bottom, I was able to get full penetration after grinding out the crack..

Underhood work getting closer.. New H2O pump, t-stat housing....

Above was all done about a month or two ago....

Skip forward too today...Started the day early to get the rest of my painting done. I had the front axle back out for sand blasting and painting. I through that back in this afternoon. I replaced the balljoints, calipers, rotors, pads, and hubs. Ran into a problem on the drivers side with one of the caliper mount bolt holes being stripped. After I discovered it (again) I now remember that when I took it apart originally, it was stripped and made a mental note to fix or find a different knuckle. Thats the problem with getting too excited, too quick on a project....Ha!

I started to put the truck back together.. Box is back on. Fuel tank back in with all new rubber lines. New DS fender on. Header panel back on. About 12p I called in quits and I remembered to take a few pics..Starting to look like a truck again! Finally!

I didnt mask off the windshield for painting due to it needing a replacement before I drive the truck. The passenger side of the axle is not yet done because of a bonehead move I made with the lower balljoint, my press and the rubber boot on the joint after 5pm on a Sunday. :doh:

Unrrelated to this project but fun MJ pics nonetheless! :thumbsup:

Using the plow rig to move the boat outa the little garage for cleaning... :brows:

Guys remember my 92 errrrr I mean 91 Elim I got this spring?

Its now a parts truck. Glad I didnt start working too much on it. I should be able to get my monies worth with the parts it will donate to another MJ in the yard.

Heard a strange clunking on my way to work one night. The next morning when I got home, I found that the rear spring hanger rusted just about completely off. :eek: What a shame... O well!

The kind that rattles in the can man! haha.

Its going to be a "from 10 feet away" paint job. But it does look pretty good. Considering wet sanding and polish but we'll see.

This truck might turn into something else before I'm done........ :yes: :doh:

On a side note..

I boogered one of the caliper mounting bosses on the driver side today. Tried to fix it and made it worse in the process. About typical for me. I know all about hard knocks! Within 2 hours I was able to find a pile of knuckles from various jeep club members. I hope to have it sitting on all four tires this weekend and maybe a scoot down my deadend road. No brakes yet... Still looking for parts....Pretty soon ill be ordering the Teraflex Disc Brake kit..

I was able to get my hands on a set of D30 knuckles this week from a club member. Wrangler parts on my MJ now... :brows:

Anyway, got them sandblasted and painted up all purty and finally installed along with reman calipers, drilled and slotted rotors, pads, new hubs, and balljoints.

Bolted the DS back in and drove it 3 feet backwards, and 3 feet forward in the garage. First time its moved under its own power since this spring! :banana:

Here is what it looks like today with all the suspension in and all the bolts tight. (Save for the trackbar..)

Anybody wanna talk me out of using 97+ doors? I have 1 nice 96- passenger side door (off this truck), 1 door driver side 96- that is all bondo (off this truck), and one drivers side 96- door that needs some body work like holes welded, bad dent to fix, and a little rust.

I have 2 almost mint 97+ doors sitting in my storage area....with the strikers. How hard is it to find manual internals for these things? I think I have seen one 97+ XJ with crank windows..

Also tossing around using the black interior out of my 87 Chief in this truck. Its all there besides the mini console being cracked. I guess Id like to make sure I could get a black mini console before I did the whole swap and end up with one missing piece..

Good luck on finding those manual doors, I looked pretty hard for about 6-7 months and found only 1 set and the drivers door was completely hail damaged. The only other ones I've seen were in a couple of two doors that I had to snag the armrests out of. But I'm a cheap sob and have just been scouring only u pull it yards. I think it'll be worth it in the end, I hope lol. Good luck and your truck is coming along nicely.

Good luck on finding those manual doors, I looked pretty hard for about 6-7 months and found only 1 set and the drivers door was completely hail damaged. The only other ones I've seen were in a couple of two doors that I had to snag the armrests out of. But I'm a cheap sob and have just been scouring only u pull it yards. I think it'll be worth it in the end, I hope lol. Good luck and your truck is coming along nicely.

I just need the guts. I have a nice set of doors off of a 98 XJ from Florida.

• 4 months later...

No I didn't sell it! (Ben would have posted LOL)

Cleaned up the garage today do to the 50 degree weather we are having. Drove the truck outside for a little sun!

5y7ahyme.jpg

First time it's been outside since paint. It actually looks extremely nice; from 10 feet away!!! Anyway, I bought something from another member to kick this project off again...

qyhehy4u.jpg

Black mini console. The only part I needed to have a complete black interior. I looked at the donor truck today and I will be needing a headliner too.

Things left to do....

Have to figure out what in doing for doors. Hitting a swap meet and putting out as many feelers as I can. Either manual 97+ doors or one drivers door in nice condition is what's needed. Also weatherstripping.

Shocks. Thinking Bilstein 5100 shocks.

Rear brakes. I bought some disc brake parts from a ZJ that ill have to mod to work.

Fender flares. Flat style is on my mind still.

Rampage Headlights

Diff covers. Ruff Stuff will get the nod.

IRO steering.

That list is in order of importance to me. Glass will fall in there somewhere too.. Along with exhaust.

Almost forgot. Ben (Neohic) built me some kick @$$ looking bumpers in trade for one of my extra mJs that never was going to get done. I'll post pics when they are installed and painted!

Goal is by the 4th of July, this thing should be road ready! Fingers crossed!

That last update turned out a little goofy.  Tapatalk off my phone..

Worked a bit this week on this..

Black dash out of the 87 Chief

But, not w/o leaving a blood trail into the house..

All tore apart for cleaning.  The bottom part of the dash is in sorry shape.  I should be able to repair it to make it presentable, but I will be searching for a new piece someday.  These 25 plus year old plastics are extremely brittle it seems.

Dash out of the project truck, and black non tilt steering column ready to go in,  Being totally impossible to install myself, Ive decided to replace the worn out steering shaft before putting this in.  

Painted up some bumper brackets since I had the garage warm...

Then this happened

Gonna have to do some slight tweeking on the mounting to get it perfect, but I had to get it on to see how it looks.  

Complements on a very nice project. :thumbsup: The choice of an all white façade is extremely eye appealing. Hope you don't mind my asking, but, is the rear bumper a JCR unit? 

... Hope you don't mind my asking, but, is the rear bumper a JCR unit? 

Nope. :D  Speaking of which...

...Gonna have to do some slight tweeking on the mounting to get it perfect, but I had to get it on to see how it looks.  

What doesn't fit right? You've got me worried now because I think I might know what's off... the brackets, right?   :oops:

Nice.  Sorry earl*t but I didnt say where it came from for 2 reasons.

See if anyone would say exactly what you said, "Is it a JCR unit?" :brows:

Or if anyone would remember Ben's showcase when he built them! :yes:

Ben.  don't worry.  Its not a big deal at all.  Whe are talking a 1/4 of a inch on either side.  I scratched the $#!& out of the paint on the truck putting it on myself!  I don't expect anything that has been welded to fit absolutely perfect!  Who knows, it could be the truck.   :dunno:

Either way, it looks killer!  :eek:

Well, your ploy at least half worked on my part. I'd also be willing to bet that several members remember Ben's showcase even if they don't chime in. Until recently, I've been awol on the site, so I suppose I missed said showcase. I'm a firm believer in giving credit where it's due. Along with Ben, there is an incredible amount of talent, knowledge, and creative experience represented in the Comanche Club. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Its not a big deal at all.  Whe are talking a 1/4 of a inch on either side.  I scratched the $#!& out of the paint on the truck putting it on myself!  I don't expect anything that has been welded to fit absolutely perfect!  Who knows, it could be the truck.   :dunno:

Did you put the brackets on the frame and then the bumper to the brackets or did you just bolt everything together first? I used the same measurements for the brackets on yours as what I did on the first effort of producing bumpers. With the brackets on the frame, the bumper should bolt on with the mounting plates on the inside of the brackets.

Here's a picture of ComancheKid45's bumper, but the mounting would be the same:

384883_191786834253521_1495255989_n.jpg

Brackets bolted to the truck first. I had to hammer on it with a deadblow to get it in between the brackets.  Thats what made me think that maybe its the truck.  Who knows. 

Either way, it looks absolutely awesome!

Brackets bolted to the truck first. I had to hammer on it with a deadblow to get it in between the brackets.  Thats what made me think that maybe its the truck.  Who knows. 

Either way, it looks absolutely awesome!

Good enough for me! Glad you're happy with it and it looks great on your truck.  :thumbsup: But wait... where's the front bumper?  :hmm:

The front bumper is currently still on the bench waiting to get painted.  I ordered my headlights today so I can get the front of the jeep back together.  Also order a new Crown steering shaft so I can get the interior swapage done before I forget how it goes back together.  :rotfl2:

I ordered both the Rampage Headlights and the Crown Automotive replacement steering shaft from 4wheelparts. Normally I despise them for negative experiences in the past..  But free shipping on orders over 98 bucks, blows Quadratec out of the water!

On a side note,

Does anyone know where to get the trim that mounts on the header panel?  The trim that goes all the way across the header panel above the headlights?

• 3 weeks later...

Finally took a day off and decided to work on the jeep. Got the new steering shaft installed and the black steering column put in. Finished tearing the interior out of the truck. There isn't many jeep jobs that are more gross. The essence of mouse piss was in the air!!

F16E671A-386B-4B8A-8F93-FBA59F73A921-91716-00000A13C0D300BF_zps8656f5dc.jpg" alt="F16E671A-386B-4B8A-8F93-FBA59F73A921-917">

The floors do need a little help. I found some of the carpet wet! This jeep has been in the garage for a year! No holes. I hammered all over with a Philips screwdriver and did not break through. EZ fix.

Drivers side. (Dark spots surface rust)

Passenger side

The pics above are after I Scrubbed using simple green.

Yard shot. What a muddy mess.

Amazing what a little patience and elbow grease will get ya. This is comparing the turn signal lenses before and after a little work.

Got the front clip back together. Rampage headlights and a Neohicbuilt front bumper. Drool worthy fo' sho!

Also in my last post I had asked about replacing the trim on the header panel. Today I took my old worn out crap and spent a hour with a scotch brite pad and some polish; now both pieces look like new! Hard to see in the photos. Also gotta work on my grill yet.