KJ discs onto XJ chrysler 8.25 write up

Did the swap today minus the ebrake cables, I'll do them this weekend. Found a 05 liberty at a junk yard and got the backing plates, hoses, and ebrake lines off of it. This is a direct bolt on with the exception of putting 3/8 brake fittings on the KJ lines(they switched to a metric fitting for whatever reason). Anyways onto a quick write and pics..

Jack up the rear, set on stands, remove wheels, then pop off the diff cover and drain fluid..

Image Not Found

Remove 8mm cross pin bolt..

Image Not Found

Remove cross pin and push axles in to release the c-clips.

Image Not Found

Slide out shafts and remove wheel studs, replace with studs from dana 30 wheel bearing..

Image Not Found

Remove 4 nuts holding on the drums, get rid of all that crap..

Image Not Found

You will be left with this..

Image Not Found

Bolt on liberty backing plates, I put all the ebrake stuff on first. It was easier on the workbench.

Image Not Found

Add new rotors, and calipers..

Image Not Found

Run your lines, into the stock location. I welded the liberty brackets behind the leaf perches. Bleed your brakes and your done.

Image Not Found

Difference is night and day, I had a leaking wheels cylinder which I didn't know about. Total time was 3.5 hours and a hour or so re-flaring the lines and setting up the emergency brake pads.

Just curious.. why replace studs from a Dana 30 wheel bearing? I know it'd be a good idea to put new ones in, just don't understand why the dana 30 ones are used. Are they necessary?

Thanks

Yes they are longer than the 8.25 studs. You need the extra 1/4 " due to the thickness of the rotors..

i was just wondering about the studs again today when i just bought more 8.25 studs. i had some old d30 studs that are almost a half inch longer. IIRC we've talked about this here before but i could of swore someone said running normal studs was fine :dunno:

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I am planning on doing this swap on my 8.25.

the stock 8.25 hard lines cannot be used with the disc? I have an extended rear brake line for the 8.25 w/ the distribution block, will this not work for the disc brakes?

8 hours ago, Swampy said:

I am planning on doing this swap on my 8.25.

the stock 8.25 hard lines cannot be used with the disc? I have an extended rear brake line for the 8.25 w/ the distribution block, will this not work for the disc brakes?

I haven't done this swap, but if you have an extended line and block there's no reason you can't use it for your discs. You'd just need to bend new hard lines to the caliper hoses. I did the same thing on my 8.8 swap. You'll just need a brake line flare kit, hard line and fittings to match the caliper hoses and distribution block.

1 hour ago, Skorpyo said:

I haven't done this swap, but if you have an extended line and block there's no reason you can't use it for your discs. You'd just need to bend new hard lines to the caliper hoses. I did the same thing on my 8.8 swap. You'll just need a brake line flare kit, hard line and fittings to match the caliper hoses and distribution block.

Okay good. I am trying to gather a list of parts for my brake upgrade, I know I want to do kj disc in the back and thinking of maybe a new booster/master but idk about that part yet

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Axle with longer wheel studs

WbVOGn4.jpg

Opening rear axle to pull the axle shaft out to take off the drum brake backing plate

dVj4v7F.jpg

Kj 8.25 disc brake backing plate

rQMQvk7.jpg

Rear brake line routing (going to change it)

hCv9ldb.jpg

4jDA5Qt.jpg

New rotor/new caliper installed

W7PNyfm.jpg

*not all the pictures needed but some*

10 hours ago, Pete M said:

oh crap!  I didn't realize they were all gone. :(  

Its all good I tried taking pictures when I was doing it to help the next person in line. If anything more specific is needed let me know