Hi...... I'm Yellaheep and I'm an MJ-aholic.....

• 10 months later...

Well no doubt lots of you saw my for sale ad looking to thin the herd.  Most of that was motivated by having hurt myself recently - bulging C5 spine and resulting severe left arm nerve pain.  Many treatments and therapy appts and a cortisone shot later and I'm back up and running at about 80%....... lol.  And feeling better is not helping with my addiction.

While I would really rather most of my trucks find new homes with folks enjoying them........ I can't leave any orphans behind. 

Some of you will recognize my latest acquisition....... a super nice '87 short bed 4x4 originally a 4 banger with an auto.  Bob (aka: buffalob) bought this truck from an on-line auction and had it sent to him here in Colorado from Georgia.  He also had bought his current project "Bucky" from me earlier so alot of "Bucky's" photos show this truck in Bob's driveway.  Bob traded this truck for the paint work that would be come that year-long drama many of us are aware of.

Anyhow, that painter took this truck as payment from Bob, but then apparently owed another guy money and that guy told the painter he'd sell the truck for what he could get for it and put it toward his balance owed.  It was on Craigslist for $3K for a month, then $2K for 2 weeks and then today down to $1500.  I called, he agreed to $1200.  Oh, and the guy lives 6 miles from my house......  I'm like - how can I NOT go rescue this truck!?!?  Back when Bob had it, it had been freshly painted, super straight and rust free.

There may be a title issue with the truck...... won't know until I try to title it with the DMV so I've got a call in to Bob to see if he has the previous owner's contact info when he bought it - just in case I gotta try to get them to go get a duplicate title and make a correction.  Yeah, this kinda stuff is always "fun"..........

Took it to the car wash to blast off all the layers of crap that was on this poor thing.  I discovered that the "jeep" letters are barely glued on (supposed to have those stamped nuts on the back of the studs).... the "J" went flying off during the wash.  The front fenders and header panel are held on with only the bare minimum of screws and bolts, the lower parts of the front fenders were flapping around when I washed it. 

This truck also appears to have been optioned with the skid and hook package but the gas skid is gone as are the hooks.  It also has factory roll bar brackets with holes in the bed..... unfortunately no roll bar.  The interior is in pretty good shape, but the color of the velour seat inserts and velvet-ish headliner are a bit to Ricardo Montalban for my taste.  Not real complimentary to the original color.

So, yeah....... I have 7 MJ's again.......... :doh:

Back when Bob had it, shown with early "Bucky".....

This is the only body damage and "new" to when I last saw it when Bob had it.  It's a shame, but at least it's not worse.  The paint isn't the best job and has kind of a hazy texture to it, I'm hoping it'll buff out nice.

LOL....... good gawd.  Went to the DMV to at least try to get the title work started or done on my latest MJ acquisition.  Was pretty certain I was gonna strike out for 2 reasons....... One was what I thought would be a signature discrepancy on the title itself, and this:

Yeah, apparently I have a brand new MJ.......... LOL.  Not sure how this came about but I knew that all my other MJ's had been titled "mileage exempt" and never had to give the odometer - but those have all been Colorado titled trucks.  The VIN Verification form requires a mileage entry.

Stupid-easy.  No problems at all.  She wasn't concerned about the signature not having the middle name.  The only thing that almost kept her from getting the title work done was that the GA title didn't the truck's GVW on it.  She initially said I'd have to take it to a scale and bring back a certified weight slip....... then she said she might have a source.  She went to the "archives" and found some old book for '87 model year cars and was able to find it in there.  When she went out to do the VIN inspection, she was an older gal and said she didn't want to climb up on the trailer and asked that I read off the VIN on the dash.  When she asked about the odometer reading........ she also said "I know the truck is exempt, it's just a block I gotta fill in on the Verification form."  So I looked at the dash and gave her a few random numbers ....... yeah I fibbed..... sue me..... :shhh:

Friggin' DMV.   :D

Anyone know?   If this '87 I just brought home having had a 4-banger and auto........ the axle gearing?  Rumored to be 4:56?  Can't find a source....  It's got a gear tag, but it's lightly stamped and heavily painted.  I may go scuff it up and try to read it.

And no.... it's not a D44 rear.  It's a D35.

• 2 months later...

#8 followed me home today. 

'87 with rare-er options of floor shifted automatic and power windows/locks.  It's a 4.0 with rod knock, A/C, full skid package, 8.25 rear axle swapped in, front disco lock kit, decent 32" KM2's on aluminum mods, roll bar (non factory), bucket seats.

Nice solid floors.  Just some bubbly surface rust in areas. Paint is OEM and crap. Tail gate has seen it's share of abuse.  Pretty damn straight otherwise.

I've got an engine for it.  Get that installed, clean it up, fix some busted stuff and send her off to a new owner.  Would make a great trail rig.

3" lift and 32's are just perfect on these - love how it looks.  Shoulda been how they were done from the factory.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Let one go yesterday.  My '90 Eliminator. Arguably the best truck I had, on it's way to Iowa.  New owner will be doing a rotisserie resto/mod.  3" and 31's in it's future.

Hoping the new owner will post up a build thread here.

Image Not Found

Might have another gone before the weekend is over.