Comanche Camper... The Comansion!!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why not shorten the MJ box at all to make the fit perfect?

I like the idea of an unmodified box. Besides, without the cab in front of the topper, it really isn't all that noticeable at all.

Almost finished the cabinets today also. A frustrating experience with a fussy staple gun put a stop to all of that though. :fs2: Hopefully finish tomorrow.

Cabinets done. Started the weekend by trying to get it as set up as possible inside my garage... thank you tall ceilings!

Yup... it's tight, but it almost fit.

Blank canvas:

Probably over built the frames:

Figured out where to put some doors and put a skin on them:

Finally, some carpet to finish them off:

Went as big as possible too:

To finish up the inside, I'll throw down a carpet runner down the middle. Also, I'd like to figure out some kind of simple latch for the doors so they don't pop open when the trailer is moving. Inside, there's plenty of room for most of the typical camping gear. It'll be where I'll mount a battery eventually too. Maybe get crazy and a few LED lights or something. I also did my favorite fix so far by replacing the struts to hold up the lift gate... getting tired of propping it up with a broom and kicking it out when getting in or out and smashing it into my head. Not sure what'll be next... probably wiring or finish up the water tank.

Great work Ben, definitely feel your pain talking about propping up the lift gate and then knocking it out and it smashing onto your head or back. Nice job on the boxes. How has the camper hinge mechanism held up after all these years, esp up north? Also, has it affected the integrity of the fiberglass? Sorry, I ask weird questions.

Buck.

Great work Ben, definitely feel your pain talking about propping up the lift gate and then knocking it out and it smashing onto your head or back. Nice job on the boxes. How has the camper hinge mechanism held up after all these years, esp up north? Also, has it affected the integrity of the fiberglass? Sorry, I ask weird questions.

Buck.

From what I understand, the topper has been in MN for the past 10 years or so, but only mounted on a truck for the past 5. Being that WilderNest does a great job of keeping the majority of the moving parts to the inside the springs are in great shape. Yeah... there's a little surface rust on them in a couple spots, but it's only towards the outside of them where there is a small opening in the canvas (WilderNests are not completely sealed). The fiberglass is nice but I may have to reseal the gelcoat around the front window. Almost looks as though someone had it mounted too close to the cab and it rubbed a little.

... esp up north...

This from a dude in Florida? Oh, man... rub it in, how 'bout. Next it'll be, "how's the floors in your trucks?", right? "See any of that rust lately?" Naw... I'm just joshin'. But seriously, some of us just like chillin' with Canada.

Took some time today and finished the cabinets for real. I found some nice latches to keep everything closed when the camper is moving. I also put together the wiring. Being that everything was cut at the salvage yard up to the rear harness plug I just picked it up from there so everything unplugs just like from the factory. My camera is starting to get fussy, but I did manage to get one decent picture today:

Said latches:

Then I was thinking... what were to happen if I installed a battery with all kinds of cool interior lights, a pump for the water tank and all sorts of other such fun things and it went dead? I mean, it could happen. Forget to charge it before heading out, over use, leave a light on, or anything else that'd run a battery dead. Why not go back to keeping things simple? I could install a battery later on, but for now I think it'll get a little more basic. So, as far as the pump then:

Yup... it's just a transfer pump. It moves plenty of water in a decent amount of time and it's cheap as all get out too. I put together a stainless mount to put in place of the factory filler neck. Not completely crazy about it just yet. I think it'll need something a little more fancy than just a hose hanging out. Probably do up something that'll hold the hose on the filler door when it's open or closed:

Then at the other end is nothing fancy at all. I just used some plumbing parts to connect the dots and give me a way to drain it if needed:

What I am puzzled on is the filler neck for the tank. Originally, I planned on putting everything in the filler compartment, but it quickly turned in the classic story of 10 pounds of "stuff" in a 5 pound bag. I whipped up a filler neck but I'm not quite sure where I'd like to locate it yet:

Now, I've got a couple of spots in mind, but I'm not sure which would be better. Right now, I think I'd recess it into the side and go either inside the front cabinet:

... or mount it under the box but on the front panel:

If I go inside, then I know it'll bug me everytime I need to fill the tank. Water will most likely get all over the inside of the cabinet. On the other hand, if it's on the outside, it'll be easy to fill but anyone could get to it. Really not sure and I may just be over thinking it. Anyone have any thoughts?

Every camper/trailer I've seen has the water filler on the outside. The only problem I see with putting it on the front of the bed is the road grime that will get all over it. Personally, I would put it there and just build a little box with an access door or maybe put in another fuel filler door for it.

Nice work so far, I love this build. Any estimate on what it would have cost had you not come across all that stainless for free?

Every camper/trailer I've seen has the water filler on the outside. The only problem I see with putting it on the front of the bed is the road grime that will get all over it. Personally, I would put it there and just build a little box with an access door or maybe put in another fuel filler door for it.

I thought about adding another door but nothing else needs any body work. Again, the whole unmodified bed thought keeps spinning in my head.

Nice work so far, I love this build. Any estimate on what it would have cost had you not come across all that stainless for free?

Stainless would've been close to $1000. Besides the stainless, I've got about $1000 in everything up to this point.

Looks like you'll be all set for a weekend in Appleton Mn soon. Well, maybe when it warms up a little more.

Welcome back to CC!

If I go inside, then I know it'll bug me everytime I need to fill the tank. Water will most likely get all over the inside of the cabinet. On the other hand, if it's on the outside, it'll be easy to fill but anyone could get to it. Really not sure and I may just be over thinking it. Anyone have any thoughts?

Have you thought of a diamond plate etc. tool box to mount to the front of the bed on the tongue? Mount the box, drill it for the water tank filler neck, then mount the filler neck inside. You have the filler neck out of the elements, away from prying eyes who would mess with it, out of the comansion keeping it dry inside, and you gain a bit of extra storage space with the rest of the box for straps, etc...

Just a suggestion based on my jealousy!!

Have you thought of a diamond plate etc. tool box to mount to the front of the bed on the tongue? Mount the box, drill it for the water tank filler neck, then mount the filler neck inside. You have the filler neck out of the elements, away from prying eyes who would mess with it, out of the comansion keeping it dry inside, and you gain a bit of extra storage space with the rest of the box for straps, etc...

Just a suggestion based on my jealousy!!

I guess I haven't really thought of that yet. With plans of having the spare on the front, I don't know how much room there will be. Hmm... good thinking, though!

Been thinking about this all week. What to do about the water tank filler neck? Originally, I was planning on having the spare in the middle... well, that changed with the addition of a small toolbox. I still want the spare on the front for some better tongue weight, so I split the space. The plan is to move the spare over and have share the space with a small toolbox.

Boring looking toolbox, right? It was Backdraft that put it in my head about a toolbox, but I have to be honest that I really don't care for diamond plate. It's just too overdone! I understand that it hides scratches amazingly but I'd rather enjoy the cleanliness of smooth aluminum now and regret it later. I might even end up painting it... who knows. Maybe some bedliner on the lid. Anyhow, the box is intended for a 20 pound propane tank and also as some counter space. Good enough spot for it... right next to the water faucet for ease of cleaning dishes. I know, I could've just used the tailgate for a counter top, but think of when you want to get in or out of the topper. You either have to move everything to the side or step over it all. With even a small space elsewhere from the tailgate, it opens everything up just that much more. As far as the box... it isn't done yet, but you get the idea:

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been able to touch this thing for a little while, but I managed to throw some time at it today. It started with just a good cleaning. Getting the box in the winter caused some problems that I couldn't really clean it out good or paint/seal anything. I also decided to take the crazy decals, stripes, and trim off. So, good weather equals blowing the thing apart. Eek! It's naked!

Then, since I couldn't talk myself into painting it to match my Eliminator since the paint is in great shape, the decision was made to add a little flash since there was a couple dents and a little rust to take care of.

... more on that later. The stainless angle also found its home on the front to fill the gap. 

While waiting for paint to dry for the final taping off, the bed turned into a "no shoe" zone. Need to figure out a nice strip or something at the end of the carpet to keep it down while getting into the camper. Also, you may notice that the colors aren't quite the same. Well, I was going to go with the same carpet as the cabinets, but I changed my mind last minute to go with a rubber backed and ribbed type for a little more durability.

... getting there!