The wonders of an oil change

Kenosha Warrior

I overwent my last one by about a thousand km's, if not close to. I drained the oil into an old 4L icecream container and I nearly pooped myself. I could still see through the container. Ive got 297 040 on the clock and the oil was close to golden coming out after 5000kms. I threw some more 10w30 with a new filter in, cranked her over and had no lifter ticking, no valve noise, just the sound of my exhaust leak haha.

Advice: nothing kills a Renix faster than no oil changes, so change that oil!

charred black :D thats nothing compared to my dads old farm truck. i talked dad into changing it last week and it was like mollassas draining out :eek: and thats after the engine was ran to warm it up cause of the cold weather. after about an hour of draining most was out, poured in some new and ran that then drained again. then filled her up with some more new with a filter and it starts and runs like new. i don't think the p.o. ever changed it, he just added more when it needed some.

most manufactor recommend 7500 and some people change every 3000 i lke to do my 96xj, 89mj, 89xj at about every 5000 don't drive them hard enough to change every 3000. once the garage is done the 89 xj gets in first and make some minor mods but the mj will be the one that get the best treatment based on funding :brows: if not drivin hard i would think that the 5000 would work for most of us just my take on this

I last did an oil change in the middle of November. My Jeep has since leaked about 6.5-7 quarts worth of oil. If I didnt have to chane the filter...I wouldnt ever do a change :brows: .

haha, my brother blow-by's a quart or so every other week.

(and yes we've tried all the conventional blow-by fixes and stuff.)

Back when my 88 was a 2wd daily driver, I could notice the engine getting noticeably sluggish around 2500 miles. Changing the oil felt like adding a super charger! So I change the oil at 2k in all my old Jeeps.

Also, cheap oil is fine, cheap filters should be avoided.

Back when my 88 was a 2wd daily driver, I could notice the engine getting noticeably sluggish around 2500 miles. Changing the oil felt like adding a super charger! So I change the oil at 2k in all my old Jeeps.

Also, cheap oil is fine, cheap filters should be avoided.

I tried Frams, penzoil's, crappy oil pressure, blacker than death oil, so I use Napa Silver line of filters.

I have always changed my dino oil and filter vehicles at 2500 miles. Reguardless of how the miles where put on.

Now most of mine run synthetic oil. So I change out the filter at 2500 and the oil and filter at 5000.

Sure it will work longer, but like everyone says, oil is cheap insurance....

CW

I have always changed my dino oil and filter vehicles at 2500 miles. Reguardless of how the miles where put on.

Now most of mine run synthetic oil. So I change out the filter at 2500 and the oil and filter at 5000.

I do pretty much the same. My original contemporary (sort of) Jeep was the '88 XJ. I ran that on dinosaur juice for the first 175,000 miles of its life and changed the oil and filter every 2500 miles. When I finally changed to synth, my brother (who was at that time a service manager at a BMW dealership) told me the new BMWs were coming from the factory with synth, and a 15,000 mile oil change interval. I figured if they could go 15,000 ... I could go 5000.

I don't do the 2500 mile filter swap, though. I just do the oil and filter at 5000 miles.

I do pretty much the same. My original contemporary (sort of) Jeep was the '88 XJ. I ran that on dinosaur juice for the first 175,000 miles of its life and changed the oil and filter every 2500 miles. When I finally changed to synth, my brother (who was at that time a service manager at a BMW dealership) told me the new BMWs were coming from the factory with synth, and a 15,000 mile oil change interval. I figured if they could go 15,000 ... I could go 5000.

I don't do the 2500 mile filter swap, though. I just do the oil and filter at 5000 miles.

do you think i would run into any issues swapping to synthetic at 140k (miles)?

I last did an oil change in the middle of November. My Jeep has since leaked about 6.5-7 quarts worth of oil. If I didnt have to chane the filter...I wouldnt ever do a change :brows: .

haha, my brother blow-by's a quart or so every other week.

(and yes we've tried all the conventional blow-by fixes and stuff.)

At least route it thru a catch can that way youre not starving your motor for oil filler air. :)

I built my own blowby fix for my previous '84 J10 (Comanche's big brother) and need to on this MJ (with 240,000 on the clock) I run 15W40 Delo. Gets me @20 mpg highway in warm weather. Right now I get @ 16 mpg average with loads and no loads.