which gears

I'm looking to upgrade the gears for the upcoming bump in lift and tires. ill probably stick with a 33 and might throw on some 35s once in awile. i do mostly highway cruising with a little city. i figured 4.10s would be best for both sets of tires and fuel consumption. this correct?

i have 4.10's AW4 and 33". 40-55 mph sucks, rpms are bogged down or i have to downshift for slight hills. was going to re=gear to 4.56, but threw my tires on Jason's truck that has 4.88's and now I'm going that route. at 70 mph (which i really won't need to be at that speed) rpm's were 2750-2800. 45-55 mph was alot more usable in drive. i have the rpm's at different speeds verified by gps or you can check out grimjeeper.com

id say do 4.88, espically if your going to throw on 35" from time to time. in the next few weeks i should have my axle's in and ill let you know my thoughts

29 spline 8.25 for now.

and thanks cody. i was looking at the gear/tire charts online and at least 4.56s were looking pretty good and at the same price as 4.10s. ill check out the 4.88s now though and i def want to hear your thoughts on how it goes. i might have bought some in a few weeks but they might not be in before yours

from what ive been gathering on other forums, people say 4.56 is perfect for an aw4 and 33", but they havent tried 4.88 so they don't know any better. the others running 4.88 say don't do 4.56, youll just wish you did 4.88, espically if a tire size increase is bounching around your head. so toss that 4.10 idea out of your head. going 60 mph on I5 or any hwy's i have to keep my foot in it to maintain speed on flat ground. I'm faster than a geo metero but even with a Banks torque tube, throttle body spacer, K&N and 2.25" catback on my HO motor it does not pull hard.

I'm now thinking 4.56s and 34" meats. if 33s, AW4 and 4.56s are prefect, that set up should be decent. i don't know though but i do need to figure this out. I'm buying the rest of the parts i need to finish off the MJ and I'm thinking gears are next on the list.

I would suggest going as deep as possible. Once you try out 35's you will probably stick with them. However, if you are set on staying with the 33's, 4.56 would be a good.selection in my opinion. It is my understanding that you generally don't need to gear an auto as deep as a manual.

I drove my TJ with 4.10s and 33's with a 5speed. It was not terrible, but it did require a lot of shifting on the highway to maintain 70mph. The same rig with

35s was a total dog until I went with 5.13s.

:hijack: I'm also in the same boat. I have 35s waiting to go on, Ive got a 8.8 so thats no problem running 4.88. The only thing with the hp30 is 4.88 the pinion gets tiny. Which ive heard could fail easier from being its size. :dunno:

....But as for the chrysler 8.25 the only company that makes 4.88 is nitro gearing

the key with the tiny pinion is NOT to upgrade your shafts. it will break a shaft long before that pinion even thinks about breaking...or so several guys in my local club on 37s, 4.88s say.

I'm still thinking on this one myself but id really like someone with more know-how guide me. this week i am buying the gears so it will be one of the two! lol

I regeared to 4.56 when I had 33's. Now that I have 35's I really wish I went with 4.88's. I have an 8.25 as well, so its not an easy option. I thought I read somewhere that recently someone came out with a 4.88 out there for the 8.25, but I never looked into it myself

I have a 4.7 stroker with an aw4.