which gears

sounds about right. though I'd take 4.88s in a heartbeat with my 33s. :yes: I run 4.10s only because they were the deepest factory ratio in the axles I was trying to use.

I'm running 4.10s as well only because I had a factory axle with those gears in it and it saves lots of money rather than regearing it all. I only have 31s now but I plan on going to 35s once Interco gets their sh*t together and makes some more :fs2:

• 3 weeks later...

good thing i decided to buy tires and rims first. i was seriously set on 4.56s/33s. figured its not my DD just a trail rig and cruise to the store once in awhile. i looked at the grim reaper chart and it seemed that i could get away with occasional 35s on 4.56s and still get okay gas mileage and power. that thread did slightly change my mind again to 4.88s but that tiny ring and pinion in the 30 really gives me the creeps. i guess its all luck of the draw on breaking one though cause some have had no problems as where others constantly break them :dunno:

plus was it here that someone said only two teeth are touching on 4.88s at all times as where three are touching on 4.56s??

either way if you want to run 4.88s in the 8.25, ive looked into it and people who run the nitro gears say nothing but good about them.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok what do the gear gurus reccomend....

I am ready to have my recently aquired axles re-geared. (thank you Troy yellowheep)

They were 3.07s (Dana 30/44 combo) out of a 91 MJ. They are going into my 88' short bed presently 2X4 also with 3.07 rear.

The wheels I went with are AEV pintler 8.5 X 17... The tires are procomp extreame muds 285/70/17 so for all comparison purposes 33 inch diameter.

I will be keeping the renix 4.0 for the present untill the stroker goes in the transmission is a new AX-15 5-speed with a new NP231 from advance adapters.

My initial thought was to only go to 4.10 gears (and a detroit out back) but after reading this thread I am wondering if I should reconsider and go to 4.56 gears.

This is not my daily driver but will in all honesty spend way more time on the highway than the trails. I live in Denver and by highway driving I mead Starting at 5500' above sea level and going up from there. Any helpfulsuggestions are appreciated the gears go in this weekend.

Bob in Denver

Thanks for the input....

All I needed was some validation that I was on the right track changing the ratio.

I called the 4$4 shop and they are swapping the new gears to 4.56...with all the money for the lift, big brake kit (also AEV)

wheels, tires, axles, re-gearing, trans, transfer case, stroker...yada yada yada

I want to get it right the first time.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

• 1 month later...

FINALLY getting around to buying gears now. damn does it take me forever to do something to the MJ.

anyway so i had to get a new carrier for the front cause i had 3.55 and down. it gets here tuesday. i guess I'm going pull the trigger on 4.88s. i could with 4.56s and save some cash through Rob (4wd) but I'm thinking in the end ill be happier with 4.88s.

decisions, decisions :dunno: :shake: