Nates 4x4

86customanche

I don't know if any of you guys have checked it out but Nates 4x4 has now come out with a rear bumper for the MJ at a very reasonable price. It starts base and you can get different add-ons for more money, naturally. I got mine installed the other day and it looks great.

Now I just gotta find a way to mount my rear licence plate and light. :hmm:

Make something that goes into the receiver. Use some square stock and a piece of plate, weld them together, and screw the plate to that. Get one of those cheap tag lights, and wire it to a trailer wire connector. When you don't have a trailer, use a bolt to bolt the plate bracket into the receiver and plug the light into your trailer harness. When you are ready to tow a trailer, pull the works out. Won't need the plate with a trailer on anyway.

Rob

Make something that goes into the receiver. Use some square stock and a piece of plate, weld them together, and screw the plate to that. Get one of those cheap tag lights, and wire it to a trailer wire connector. When you don't have a trailer, use a bolt to bolt the plate bracket into the receiver and plug the light into your trailer harness. When you are ready to tow a trailer, pull the works out. Won't need the plate with a trailer on anyway.

Rob

Not a bad idea. I'll have to look into that. I'm not sure if its wired for a trailer tho. I do still have the factory tag light that I guess I could mount on the plate you're talking about, might have to extend the wires but that's not a big deal.

Thanks for the idea. I'll post a pic on this thread if I decide to go that route.

That's an ugly bumper. Pretty classic backroads garage brew style. I'm always surprised people buy something like this when they could save a little longer and get something better. Anyone with a welder could build that.

Sorry, I just hate seeing simple ugly crap built and SOLD by self called "fabrication/4x4" shops.

That's an ugly bumper. Pretty classic backroads garage brew style. I'm always surprised people buy something like this when they could save a little longer and get something better. Anyone with a welder could build that.

Sorry, I just hate seeing simple ugly crap built and SOLD by self called "fabrication/4x4" shops.

Not everybody has awesome fab skills and/or lots of $ to spend on bumpers.

A good bumper for the price IMO.

i agree about how ugly it is. i wasnt going to say something but since it was said already.... they could do simple things like recess the trailer hitch and use bigger D rings tabs. itd still be ugly as hell but at least a little better. id do as stated and save to buy a better one or build/have built my own.

Not everybody has awesome fab skills and/or lots of $ to spend on bumpers.

A good bumper for the price IMO.

Mediocre fab skills are all that's needed for this bumper. As pictured wholesale cost on steel and hitch and tow points is under $60 (probably less)

At $219 as pictured its got a higher % wise profit margin than any MJ/XJ bumper on the market. A fab shop should have "awesome" fab skills. If this was a low budget home build I would say it looked good.

I don't see how a person can go wrong price is right and there willing to make adjustments. Theres only one other company making them and there over $500.00 plus shipping. For a budget build and on a stock truck or even a light trail rig its not bad at all.

Yeah....most of use don't do this hobby with our pocket books, buy something already modded, and then sit back and take compliments for the PO's work. Especially us MJ folks.

Ok....I gotta ask, would this be directed at me? I read whole thread again and seems to be.

Read this whole thread, viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29393 it will contradict your "stab" at me. As for the "budget part" ...I put my budget in one rig, not 4 and all the work since purchase is home built not shop, so?

As for bumper....its "the pub" so as far as I understand my opinion is as good as anyones. I respect the simplicity of buying over building. I understand budgets are different for each person. I still stand by MY opinion on bumper. I didn't walk into someones build thread here guys.

I gotta agree with H3Resq, but I think you get what you pay for. I'm sure its a decent bumper and all as long as the tow points are solid. But its not the "best looking". Its cheap, otherwise comanche owners wouldnt buy it. I mean really, probobaly most everybody on here didnt pay over $1000 for out stock trucks. comanche.gif

Figured i'd throw up a pic now that i got mine mounted.

Just so everyone knows, if you have a swb the brackets Nate sells will not work without modification, we are currently working with Nate though to get some working swb brackets made up.

I don't think he asked for opinions, was just making people aware.

:cheers:

I wasn't but I'm glad the opinions are out there. Not everyone likes it but some do. I happen to be one of those that does like it. I don't have any way of building my own and I don't have deep pockets. I know someone else who has a front and rear bumper from nates for his Cherokee and he hasn't ever complained about them so I knew they were solid products and the price is great.

I was just getting the name out there in case someone was looking for a cheap bumper to be built for them that puts function over style.

...just a comment on how people with money/available credit/tools/experience too often don't seem to "get" that many get by in this passion on a shoestring budget of all of those items. And sometimes that shoestring means no place/equipment to fab stuff. And without the place/equipment you never had the chance to build the skills to fab stuff.

Those that have the good fortune to have the money/available credit/place/equipment/experience to fab their own stuff or purchase completed or nearly completed rigs should keep in mind that they are indeed fortunate. But not everyone is...

...just a comment on how people with money/available credit/tools/experience too often don't seem to "get" that many get by in this passion on a shoestring budget of all of those items. And sometimes that shoestring means no place/equipment to fab stuff. And without the place/equipment you never had the chance to build the skills to fab stuff.

Those that have the good fortune to have the money/available credit/place/equipment/experience to fab their own stuff or purchase completed or nearly completed rigs should keep in mind that they are indeed fortunate. But not everyone is...

I feel what your saying, and see and appreciate your more directed point to previous loose comment. That is why my comments were all in reference to bumper price/look/qualityprotection based on that its built by a fab shop not a "individual", and that I wondered why a individual might not save longer..

we all sadly have budgets, that's why almost everything on mine is used parts and self built (since buying already 97+ swapped for far less than build cost). Could have bought new....but then I could not have paid cash. No matter what we all continue to have a vision of a even better MJ no matter our budget or skills. Were all MJ guys.

My tact was weak, but point was simply a fab shop should be able to build some form and function at that price point.

Cheers to another MJ specific product. That is always a good thing.

Why the hell are you so bitter?

From now on, when I get off the pile of money I normally sit on, and walk into my amazing garage, look at all my high-tech fab tools, and think about all the fabrication experience I have, I'll try to keep in mind how fortunate I am now that you said that. :roll: