87/00 Comanchero

I did a bit of research on them after seeing your post and theres a website dedicated to them. Pretty much a small forum for general questions and buying and selling. Ill be keeping a look out now thanks to you :fs1: haha

RockMJ

post a link to the website :cheers:

those wildernest campers are too cool. how do you enter and exit them?

X2. I was wondering the same thing. I didn't see a ladder or anything. Do you just crawl up the camper, use a trampoline, etc? Every time I see this thing, I want one more and more!

b16gsr & Backdraft. - The top of the camper opens like a clamshell. The top is supported by poles and that becomes the platform where you sleep. It's rated for 500 lbs. When the top is open, the area directly above the pick-up bed is open with about 7' of clearance. There is a zippered canvas "ceiling" that keeps the tent from falling into pick-up bed when everything is closed.

• 1 month later...

Continuing with the "expedition" Comanche. After buying the Wildernest (which i still haven't detailed) I began looking for a parts truck. I ended up finding a long bed in Dallas and I was able to get the fuel system and some other odds and ends off of it. I thought that with a little fabrication I could make the 22 gal tank fit in my short bed...uh, nope! So I ended up using the LWB fuel pump/sending unit, filler neck, straps and gauge but had to buy a new 18 gal tank.

The installation was straight forward because it went in the stock location. I capped off the return line and Teed the supply line into the Cherokee vapor line.

I installed a momentary switch, adapted the fuel gauge and installed it in my console just in front of the 4WD shifter.

The gauge reads about 1/8th of a tank too much, but functions correctly other than that. The pump transfers between 1-2 gallons/minute from the stock Comanche tank into the Cherokee tank. The Cherokee tank supplies the engine.

I now have 38 gallons of gas onboard, essentially doubling my range. jamminz.gif

Started taking the canvas off of the Wildernest, all of the screws that hold the base on had to be removed with an impact driver. I'm going back with stainless steel fasteners after the tent is cleaned. Then I'll use tent tape to patch the rips, seam sealer on the seams and a couple coats of water-repellant. Pics to follow...

I was confused what you were doing with the extra gas tank until you explained the transfer switch. That is nice! I do not like the out of place gas gauge, but you could easily replace that with an aftermarket one that fits there.