87/00 Comanchero

I have a 98 Cherokee as my DD and love it! I've wanted a Comanche for over a year. I was looking for a SWB that had the 97+ conversion already finished, 4X4 with around 4" of lift, a 4.0L , auto, A/C and little to no rust. There don't seem to be many Comanche enthusiast in Texas so my search took awhile. This is what I found:

The truck has the front end, doors, interior and entire drivetrain out of a 2000 Cherokee. The guys that did the conversion didn't swap over the cruise control and the airbag light is on so I assume that they don't work either. :(

The interior was slapped together and several interior pieces are missing (including the B-pillar lights), the heater is bypassed, the emergency brake doesn't work, there is no stereo and the passenger window won't roll up/down.

The exterior is metalic deep navy (purple) with color matched rhino liner on the Bushwackers, tailgate and sill panels. The PO added custom front and rear bumpers and front skid plate. The driver's side floor pan has been fiberglassed but there is zero rust past that. The inside of the bed is the original white with no rhino liner. The conversion included using the XJ gas tank placed where the spare tire should be. The original tank was removed.

The drivetrain has 120k miles on it (judging from the xj odometer) and runs/shifts fine. The rear main has a small leak, the power steering leaks, and the idler pulley squealed like crazy! The truck drives straight with no wobble at all but does ride really rough (because of the SOA conversion, I guess)

I intend to fix this up as an expedition type vehicle with dual gas tanks and a Wildernest camper.

Here are some pics after I cleaned the Comanchero up and added Moab wheels with 33" Nitto Grapplers. I painted the Bushwakers and sill panels flat black, and rhino lined the bed. I fixed the window, heater, and pulley, added a stereo, B-pillar lights and a 3rd brake/cargo light from a 2000 Ranger. I also added sliders that I found here on the CC forum, and undercoated the truck.

If any one knows where I can find a Wildernest camper for a 6' bed, in decent shape, please let me know!

Backdraft- Yes, this is it. I had to drive to McAllen to get it. 11 hours one way and I never left Texas! I've cleaned it up a bit and fixed a lot of the little stuff that was wrong with it. Plus I added a Ranger third brake/cargo light and sound deadening material under the carpet...Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery...

88mjnc - Actually the XJ is my daily driver. My son owns an Avalanche, which is a little too civilized for the trails!

Plus I added a Ranger third brake/cargo light and sound deadening material under the carpet...Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery...

I'm sincerely flattered....

Seriously, the truck looks great....very droolworthy. And 22 hours is a fair price to pay to get it back to Lubbock! Can't wait to see more progress and the wilderness camper. A few of us are scattered across the state. Maybe we could organize a pow wow somewhere fairly equidistant to us all for a few days of wheeling and camping.

Codymanche - It's a Code 3 Excalibur lightbar with takedown lights. I bought mine used. It mounts nicely between the stock roof rack supports on an xj.

The third brake light install is pretty straight forward. I copied Backdraft's build. I used a dremel tool with a cutting wheel to make the opening. Trimmed the light base to get the correct angle, and used black gasket maker to seal it in. There is a white and orange wire on the driver's side loom - that is the wire for the brake light. I just T-tapped it. I ran new wire for my interior lights and cargo lights and put a switch on the dash. The lights don't come on when the doors are opened. This mod really updates the exterior of the truck.

Third brake light

Cargo Light

I've got a line on a 6' Wildernest Camper. The topper looks to be in good shape but the tent has some small holes. dry rot and general mildew. I've never repaired a tent before. Is it worth cleaning/repairing and what is the best way to do it, or should I have a new tent made? If new is the way to go, where is the best place to get it done and what kind of price am I looking at?

Installed the limo lights, referenced in other CC posts, in the B-pillars. They, and the cargo light, are activated by a switch on the dash, not when the doors open.

Installed neoprene seat covers. Not the best fit, but they are waterproof and similar to Okole for 1/8th of the price.

I found a 6' Wildernest camper in Austin. Called the owner, negotiated a price and headed down. My route took me close to Comanche, Texas. It was only a 30 minute detour and I couldn't resist the photo op!

Any way....14 hours, 800 miles and $275 later; I am the proud owner of a more than slightly used Wildernest Camper!

It's a little rougher than I would've liked but it came with Thule crossbars and Yakima bike racks, so I guess its a wash.

I'll try to get a picture of it set up tomorrow. Then it'll come off the truck for refurbishing.

This was the first long distance trip with the MJ and it did great. No mechanical problems and it averaged 17.5 mpg! :cheers:

Its funny you found one of these! A buddy of mine and myself were looking for one of these a few years ago and they are incredibly hard to find. Now seeing this has made me want one all over again haha! Biggest thing is finding one and then finding one for the 7' MJ bed. Awesome find!

RockMJ

I did a bit of research on them after seeing your post and theres a website dedicated to them. Pretty much a small forum for general questions and buying and selling. Ill be keeping a look out now thanks to you :fs1: haha

RockMJ