brake switch woes...

so when I installed a double booster into my 90, I screwed something up and ground too much off the rod and now the brake switch won't work. :doh: so my ingenious plan was to use the simple push switch I saw on my half-a-jeep. well, it turns out that the switch I found was for the cruise control and works opposite of what I need for a brake switch (my lights would be on until I pushed on the pedal).

so now I'm wondering what to try next.... :dunno:

Run a bead down the flat and grind again, or did you not check switch operation before install, then if so IDK.

OR

I saved the swing pedals off of a 89 XJ, the clutch safety switch might be a push/closed contact.

It has 2 switches, one for the clutch and one for the brake, both push button styles.

Interesting, I'll look tomorrow. Take pics if needed.

Most of the brake pedal assemblies have two holes in the bracket - one for the cruise control switch and one for the brake switch (on later models). When we replaced the brake assembly in the 87, I ground too much off and after some thought decided to attach a piece of aluminum angle iron to the side of the brake pedal arm, and move the brake switch to the second hole.

In order to get it 'just right' I used a small binder clip to hold the angle on the pedal arm till it was in the right position, marked it, then removed the pedal arm and drilled the holes.

Works like a charm.

I did the same thing Pete :banana:

tried shimming it but never could get it to work right, so I ended up swapping in a newer pedal assembly out of the same XJ I pulled the booster from and spliced the contact switch in. If you can fab up a bracket in the correct spot on your pedal assembly to hold the contact switch, you just need to splice the pink and white wires into your old switch circuit. The pic below is the new pedal assembly and spliced switch....you can see the bracket that holds the brake (and cruise control) switches

Jeff

Image Not Found

I did the same thing as MJEFF. That is the newer style brake switch Pete. Not sure what years, don't remember what year I grabbed the parts from. I also grabbed the pedal assembly from the XJ and swapped that over too. I ran into a problem tho. On my 89 MJ it was an automatic on the column. The original 89 MJ brake pedal assembly has a bracket on it that the shift cable connects too. The pedal assembly from the newer style XJ didnt have that bracket for the shift cable on it. To solve this problem I converted the column shift to a floor shift. If yours is a standard or a floor shift then you won't have this problem.

No - sorry I don't have a picture of mine right now...but I switched in a 1998 brake pedal assembly and then converted the switch.

It is true that a floor shift is required. and the newer brake light switch comes in the 91 to 2001 XJ models. It is widely available at Autozone for about $24.00.

all my whole jeeps are stickshift, so no worries there. guess I'll have to swing by the junkyard tomorrow. :D then all I need to do is iron out the other dozen or so electrical gremlins and my 90 should be ready for it's first real road test. comanche.gif

Pete, any brake switch from 91 and up will work, column shift or floor shift. Each switch has three sets of contacts; two NC (normally closed) sets of contacts for the auto tranny torque converter unlock and cruise signal, and one NO (normally open) set of contacts for the brake lights. When you depress the brake pedal, the NO contacts close to complete the brake light circuit.

• 3 years later...

Rube Goldberg, reporting for duty SUH!

So you need a switch that's normally open, and you have a switch that's normally closed.

Splice a relay into the circuit between the switch and the lights. Wire the relay so it's open when the signal circuit has power, and closes when the signal circuit is interruped.

Rube Goldberg, reporting for duty SUH!

So you need a switch that's normally open, and you have a switch that's normally closed.

Splice a relay into the circuit between the switch and the lights. Wire the relay so it's open when the signal circuit has power, and closes when the signal circuit is interruped.

Or you could dump the retarded factory switch, fab/weld a little bracket onto the pedal assembly and use a generic/dime-a-dozen/every auto parts store, chevy brake switch.

EDIT: trying to copy pics from google, but its saying i am not allowed to use this "image extension on this community" :dunno:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=502957&d=1254774180

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTAwWDE2MDA=/z/PrAAAOSwAF5UaUHk/$_35.JPG