Lifting an MJ

I have found an MJ that i am planning to buy, but it hasn't been lifted yet. I am looking to lift it between 2 and 3 inches.

:wrench: 1st question: Which lift kit would be the best? there will be no rock climbing, just goning down muddy roads and thru some ditches.

:wrench: 2nd question: with either of these will i have to have a longer drive shaft.

I have looked thru several threads and haven't been answered satisfactorily yet. I will continue to look. any suggestions would be appreciated.

comanche.gif

this has been ran asked so many time. if you use the search function at the top of the screen you will find what you looking for.

A SOA will move the rear leaf springs from running under the axle to on top of the axle. Depending on the axle (99% a D35) and the condition of your springs you will net between 5"-8" of lift. If you are looking for 3" or less, SOA is not in your future

Spring perches on the top side of the axle. That means cutting off your stock perches, buying new ones and then welding them to the top side of the axle. Also gonna need longer u-bolts and longer shocks.

Going that high in the rear your gonna need a front lift to match. My truck is SOA and I put 6 inch lift 180lb springs in the front to level it out. Plus adjustable upper and lower control arms, an adj track bar w/drop bracket, longer shocks and longer brake lines/hoses. Oh and I'm running 33" tires.

Unless money is no object, I'd say go the low budget 2" pucks and longer shackle route. That along with some 2" taller tires would give you 3 inches of lift. With that your Mamche should get you just about anywhere you wanna go.

Hope this helped. Good luck with it.

Robert

this has been ran asked so many time. if you use the search function at the top of the screen you will find what you looking for.

A SOA will move the rear leaf springs from running under the axle to on top of the axle. Depending on the axle (99% a D35) and the condition of your springs you will net between 5"-8" of lift. If you are looking for 3" or less, SOA is not in your future

think everyone would agree the search function is not the easiest tool to use on this site. (not to say it doesnt work)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Spring perches on the top side of the axle. That means cutting off your stock perches, buying new ones and then welding them to the top side of the axle. Also gonna need longer u-bolts and longer shocks.

Going that high in the rear your gonna need a front lift to match. My truck is SOA and I put 6 inch lift 180lb springs in the front to level it out. Plus adjustable upper and lower control arms, an adj track bar w/drop bracket, longer shocks and longer brake lines/hoses. Oh and I'm running 33" tires.

Unless money is no object, I'd say go the low budget 2" pucks and longer shackle route. That along with some 2" taller tires would give you 3 inches of lift. With that your Mamche should get you just about anywhere you wanna go.

Hope this helped. Good luck with it.

Robert

Actually, you don't have to cut the old ones off (unless using an XJ axle). They aren't in the way. You can also use stock length shocks if you use a plate with a shock mount between the axle and springs (I'm using the swaybar plate from the from of the '73 J4000 I parted)