STUPID COMANCHE BRAKE RELEASE!!!!!

If your MJ hasnt had that brake release recall performed, do it. Mine was on a hill on Labor Day and the damn thing let go and my truck rolled down a hill and into a tree. Lucky the radiator didnt get punctured but it and the AC condenser were both pushed right up to the fan. Hood and driver door won't open or close now, LF fender tweeked. I was super PO'd to say the least but that old MJ got me out of nowheresville and home ok. Now its off to the boneyards for a new front end. I have used a come-a-long and ratcheting strap to pull the rad mounts out and straighten the bent rad and condenser. I'm tempted to replace the front clip with the post '97 ones if I can find any but I'll need fenders too won't I?

ouch. :( yet another reason I never use an e-brake.

the 97+ will work with the front fenders, there's just a minor difference in the corner. the grille fascia is a bit more rounded than the fender. plenty of guys running it that way. :thumbsup:

ouch. :( yet another reason I never use an e-brake.

What do you use instead? In my straight drive cars, I always leave it in gear with the e-brake pulled, even if I'm on flat ground. In my automatic vehicles, I'll just use park unless I'm on a hill.

OUCH! :(

Anyone seen a conversion to a more reliable system? e.g handbrake lever or such? Or maybe a fix for the ratchet?

Mine has a tendency to slip sometimes when I push it down to certain teeth in the ratchet.

It's a bugger cos it's a manual box and I often need to hop out when the motor is running and I'm on a hill. Don't like to stop and start the motor just for two seconds while I go a get whatever I forgot.

Ive never heard of the park brakes on the MJ's having a recall. I know the Yj wranglers had a recall on them though and they are very similar. I kept one from a wrangler that I did a recall on and have been meaning to compare them closely, but havent yet. I might try to do that tommorow if I remember. If they are the close to being the same, I know that Chrysler still stocks the YJ park brakes because of the recall. If they are close enough, they would be a good replacement for those needing a fix. Ill try to see what I can find out tommorow.

I was taught when parked facing down hill to always turn the wheels far right. If there's a curb it will stop the vehicle, if not it will still roll away from the road. Also in a stick shift, put it in 1st gear.

And when my F100 was temporarily without a parking brake due to an even worse design (pedal bent almost 90 degrees when I tried to set it) I kept a chunk of 4x6 behind the seat.

But all of that is beside the point. Sucks to damage your truck like that. Damage is probably more than it's value.

I'm smarter than that, k? This is what happened....

I had backed up a hill to let 2 guys pass and I set the brake with it running and then just shut it off cuz they were eff'in around. I got out to hustle them along and the truck wasnt in gear. I went back and opened the door and CLUNK it let go. I was running along side trying to get in to do SOMETHING man I looked like a solo guy in a 3-legged race hoppin along on one leg but alas WHAM it hit the pine tree and it rained needles on me for 10 seconds.

I know about the brake thing k both my MJs had this problem. I have since performed some damm good redneck engineering to straighten the old guy out and next week I am off on a parts run.

pix to follow.....