Tires ???

Looking for some opinions on some tires 235/75/15 for my 87 4x4 . It will be a daily driver pavement and gravel . Looking at Cooper Discoverer A/T3 , Nexan Roadian A/T2 , Wildcountry or any other recamendations. Live in Iowa so we get all types of weather . Some off road when going fishing and hunting. Thanks Quint

For the price, the Yokohama Geolander A/T is highly rated and at least for me has been a very good tire on my Hyundai Tucson. I plan to buy a set of them for the MJ next year in a 32x11.50. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

The Geolander AT/S is a very good tire. I've got them on mine that I took off my Grand Cherokee and plan to replace them with same when they finally wear out. I put them on my F150 as well. They are every bit as good as BFG's and Revos, in my opinion, as I've had both. A lot cheaper as well.

Our walmart in alabama has a great price on these goodyear wranglers.

I've never seen a Goodyear Wrangler tire that wasn't square. Nearly impossible to balance and if you're lucky enough enough to get them close, 4K miles later they are out again. Never again.

:agree: Haha, I have had the same experience, I used to be with Belle Tire and the tire guys always dread balancing Good Year Wranglers. They were 4oz. off many times. The trick is to rotate them on the rim 90 degrees until the weight gets less. I had a similar problem with one of my BFG At's, but I just grabbed another off the shelf and it balanced fine. The tire guy just wanted to put 4oz on one wheel. :no: Most tire guys are pretty green and don't work for the customer but I saw it first hand. Sometime though someone got that tire I threw back in stock so buyer beware.

By the way, Walmart doesn't really carry the real Good Year Wranglers that I know of. What I have been informed is Sams club and such buy the old molds of tires and put a similar name on them and sell them at a discounted price. I don't think I have seen any BFG AT/TA tires come from a big box store. That's not saying they are bad by any means but if someone's bragging about buying a tire at a huge discount I just say ok. Where the tire meets the road is no excuse to skimp out on price for a good tire. But if it's not in the budget I can completely understand, just don't think they are going to perform like those >$800 set of tires.

Although a good product, Treadwrights aren't really "made" in S. Dakota but are more precisely "re-made" as they only offer retreaded tires. Not knocking them but I think it is something that should be mentioned.

The Michelin's wear like iron and will give you plenty of life but IMHO are limited to pavement only. They may be suitable for gravel, IDK. But they come with a high buy-in.

Walmart does not make tires or anything else. They use their huge buying power to get products made to their specifications, which is generally just a price point. This does not usually bode well for the quality of their products IMHO. Manufacturer's cannot afford to ignore the huge Walmart market and bow to their pressure even if sometimes the product is not something they they would attach their name to as a stand-alone. I have zero experience with the Walmart-only Wrangler Authority (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wrangler-Authority/11983156) tires mentioned but note that Goodyear does not offer them anywhere else. And never have. Walmart does offer several other Goodyear tires, though, including Wrangler MT/R's. They are not nearly the bargain that the Wrangler Authority is as they are the same Goodyear's available everywhere else and are not Walmart-only spec. I have had numerous Goodyear's in recent years, including the vaunted MT/R, and have been very disappointed with all of them. I will not buy another Goodyear tire.

I have had good luck with ,and have recommended to others, various Cooper tires and never heard a bad word about them. The General Grabber at/2's are another tire with a good rep. and also offer some level of off-road ability.