junkyard gears.

alright, just pondering my sit-chee-ate-chin (aka situation to all yall northerners :brows: sorry, felt like bein redneck for a minute)

if i pull JY gears and use the shims of the gears i want, then sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt right? well, supposing I'm one of those unlucky sort.

can i then revert to my 3.07s and drive around? or will the not working-ness destroy something important?

i have no qualms giving it a shot and shredding a set of gears, so long as i can still throw the old ones in and drive her the next day.

Gears are a very difficult monster to figure out. The shimming never works the same way twice...even on the same set of gears the came out. If you are lucky and put the old gears back in, it might work, but if you shred the gears...yes, you could do damage to other parts that would stop you from being able to fix it and dsdrive again the next day. It could break the carrier, spider gears or locker (which ever you have). I have done a couple sets of gears, but never without the supervision of someone with a lot of experience watching over my shoulder and always with the proper tools to measure backlash and properly set the pattern.

Moral of the story...NOT a good idea to waste time with used gears and improper install. Buy new gears and bearings and do it right the first time. :cheers:

I say go for it, but use new shims, there is nothing wrong with used gears (if they are cheap enough). I agree with having someone with experience help you. There are plenty of how to videos and books on doing gears. Even the expert gear installers had to learn right. Just make sure you have access to the correct tools, and don't use the " this feels lke 250 ft/lbs wrench"

there is nothing wrong with used gears (if they are cheap enough).
A very common misconception. Once gears are used, they have a set pattern/groove. After they have had the break in time to establish this pattern, if you remove them, you can never get them back in the same pattern again and this will lead to an early demise of the gears. It may work for a little while, but they will likey be loud as well. If it is a short term fix, then give it a shot, but it is not recommended if you are going to depend on it to last. ;)

I put new gears in my YJ it wasn’t that hard really if you’re mechanically inclined. all you need is a beam type inch pound torque wrench $80, cheap harbor freight dial indicator and stand $30, 5 pound or better dead blow hammer $40. I would start with the rear axle first the carrier shims are on the outside of the carrier bearings. It makes it WAY easier for a first timer to set backlash.

I set my pinion depth probably 20 times until I was sure I had a good pattern (I set the front axle up in 5 tries after I knew what I was doing). And every time you reset pinion depth you have to reset your backlash. This is WAY easier to do with the axle out of the jeep for a first timer! When you’re doing gear setup you don’t need the crush sleeve or the pinion seal. After you have the gears where you want them then install the crush sleeve and seal and preload the pinion bearings

A very common misconception. Once gears are used, they have a set pattern/groove. After they have had the break in time to establish this pattern, if you remove them, you can never get them back in the same pattern again and this will lead to an early demise of the gears. It may work for a little while, but they will likey be loud as well. If it is a short term fix, then give it a shot, but it is not recommended if you are going to depend on it to last. ;)

I've run used gears on both axles and have never had a problem with them. The only real difference in the setup, is you worry more about the coast side pattern rather than the drive side... As you said, the used set will have a pattern already, which by using the shims that came with the diff will get it close, you will never get a good pattern on the drive side due to normal wear. So get everything close and use the coast pattern as you indicator. Theen you good to go.

I'm going on almost 6 years on the used 4.10 gears in my(now the girlfriends) front D30. and over 4 years on the rear D35, 4.10's (the reason for the 4 years, was the cross shaft broke and busted up the pinion, otherwise I would bet it would still be going to day)

HTH

Ryan

i did a rear axle d35 swap awhile back.. my old 35 messed up where the passenger side shaft went in.. so i put the shafts and gears and pinion into another 35.. as far as i know its goin good.. but idc because i have a 8.8 to put in soon as i get brakes for it

i did a rear axle d35 swap awhile back.. my old 35 messed up where the passenger side shaft went in.. so i put the shafts and gears and pinion into another 35.. as far as i know its goin good.. but idc because i have a 8.8 to put in soon as i get brakes for it

but in the front could i pop my gears out.. and put in a lockright and put em back in or should they be set as well?

for the installation of a lockright you'll be set, as you're not actually doinganything to the carrier.

As to used gears, you're going to spend enough on the install kit that you might just consider the extra $80 for gears.

Otherwise, I'd do a complete axle swap.

I put 3.73 geared axles from an XJ in my junk.

You have to pull the ring gear to put a lockrite in the front. The cross pin will NOT come out unless you do. IMO you need new ring bolts cause the thread strech on the old ones. I learned this after putting everything back together and breaking 2 off. :oops: But you also might want to check the backlash upon install just to be sure and safe mine was perfect still.

Cole

well, ive got a D44 I'm swapping in, and if you can find me a D44 with better gearing than i have for less than the 80 dollars it cost me ill take it.

but its runnin 3.07s, and i don't want to buy new gears, cause then you have to set them up right; i was just askin if i can get old gears, keep the same shims they have (same setup of shims but new shims prolly) and have them work right

cause i would rather not drive around on 33's and 3.07s for very long if at all, and when i gear I'm gearing to 4.88s so i don't want to pay for setup twice.

so, i guess i could swap in a front axle with lower gears when i do the lift... but ive gotta buy the whole effin axle and then i have to find a place to get rid of this one. but the D44 aint goin anywhere.

If I wasnt leaving I would help you set them up.

Quick threadjack if I have a D44 with 3.07s do I need a new carrier to go to 4.88s or do I buy the thick gears for it and it will be good??? I think I buy thick ones but please confirm.

Sorry but that might help you to OZ.

Cole

If I wasnt leaving I would help you set them up.

Quick threadjack if I have a D44 with 3.07s do I need a new carrier to go to 4.88s or do I buy the thick gears for it and it will be good??? I think I buy thick ones but please confirm.

Sorry but that might help you to OZ.

Cole

Either way works. I'm opting for a new carrier because I already have a new gearset I got on a trade with someone. Great time to add a locker, too.

Jeff

My only experience with re-used gears was in my Dakota. The original posi went kaput (not the usual way mind you, the other way, it was like the rear end became spooled). Took it to the dealership (under warranty) and they replaced the posi. Picked it up and didn't even get down the street before I had to turn around and take it back. Seems they reused the old gears (lord only knows if they reused the old shims too) and it made an painful howling sound. Didn't they take it for a test drive? I hate dealerships. :headpop:

Junkyard axles are the way to go. :D Start hunting for 4.10s.

so wait... now you think i should swap my 44's gears for 4.10s??

i highly doubt that ill ever find that setup... itd have to be a manche wouldnt it? becuase not all XJs had 44s in 87-88

i doubt i'd find that setup.

or an AMC 20 with 4.10s (wish i had the $75 to save it from the yard myself)

lug patterns don't match unless its an MJ one... I'm DEFINATELY not running a CJ AMC20.

plus aftermarket support for the 44 is better, i know i can get an ARB with 35spline chromollys in my 44. granted at 35 splines i would be more worried about the r&p... id rather change a shaft than have no r&p

OK here is a plan for you....Buy a JY D35 axle for Cheap or buy the one I have In NC for around $80 (3.73) but its out of a XJ and throw that in until you do the 4.88s and its easier to do gears with the axle out anyway or cheaper if you take it somewhere already pulled. That will get you threw untill you do the swap. I also have another Idea Ill pm you but I am only doing it casue I trust you. Also are going SOA or are you already if so do you have extra spring packs???

Cole