adding AC to a non AC truck

There has to be some other provision for the idle control, with the plethora of dealer installed kits, there must be a supplemental harness or wire as described above.

The A/C compressor must be triggered to engage somehow, on period GMs the engagement happened through the ECU which also bumped up the idle. 

• 5 months later...

Not sure if this helps some of you parts gurus out there. This page is from an original Parts catalog I found a few years back. There is actually a different part number for "dealer" installed air.

5600 2568         w/Factory Installed Air Cond.

8350 4893         w/Dealer Installed American Air Cond.

Once I get further into my build I need to pull the dash to repair it anyway, and plan to replace the heater core at that time, and maybe drop in a evaporator if I can find one that fits. Since I'm doing a LS Swap there is going to be a little bit of creative jeep upgrading in that process anyway. LOL

If someone has measurements of the different core and or the empty space they can post that would be awesome!!!

Jeep Evaporator.png

• 1 month later...

I'm currently in the thick of it trying to install a system from a 96 XJ on mine. I'd be fine starting a new thread on it where we can discuss all the technical stuff(so we stop beating the proverbial dead horse). From what I've researched, wiring wise, it's not too complex a system to get into and usual just feeds back into itself. If I can manage to pull it off, I'll make a write up for it, but having another thread to bounce ideas around would be beneficial as a technical talk section.

I am also looking to add A/C, E-bay has a seller based in Texas, aftermarket kit complete about $1400 I called the company and the guy said they have been in business for years and sell a quality kit, I asked about idle control and was told the newer compressors don't pull as much power as older units but idle-up kits were also available if needed. MJ kit was not listed on E-bay site the guy said it was similar to wrangler and all in dash also stated they could put A/C in anything. Has anyone dealt with them? or used their system?

On 2/3/2020 at 9:19 PM, Warren Mohler said:

I am also looking to add A/C, E-bay has a seller based in Texas, aftermarket kit complete about $1400 I called the company and the guy said they have been in business for years and sell a quality kit, I asked about idle control and was told the newer compressors don't pull as much power as older units but idle-up kits were also available if needed. MJ kit was not listed on E-bay site the guy said it was similar to wrangler and all in dash also stated they could put A/C in anything. Has anyone dealt with them? or used their system?

Who is them?  You didn't list the seller.

I just installed AC into my 87 Comanche from a donor 88 Cherokee.   The Comanche was originally a 2.5 but I swapped the 4.0 from the Cherokee in at the same time.  So not sure about what additional brackets or issues you will run into with the 2.5.   

As for the wiring,  some of the wiring was in the Comanche but I had to steal one short harness that went from the airbox to a connector behind the radio/control area.  The connector was not the same type but both were I believe 4 pin heavy gauge and the colors matched up so I made it work.  One had flat pins where as the other had round.

The system has not been evacuated and recharged yet but I see no reason it will not work as everything else matched up.  Getting the airbox out and back in was the hardest part.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With all new parts it cost me $529. 

Donor xj for box and wiring cost me $200.  Try to get your year... wiring xj changed way too often. 
My thread https://comancheclub.com/topic/59069-88-chief/

Post with parts/sources

On 7/21/2019 at 3:26 PM, m2bandit said:

AC Swap
I’ve looked thoroughly through the AC and non AC systems. The only thing Jeep left of any use in my non AC MJ was the hole drilled in the relay bracket for the AC relay. If you’re looking at doing this I’d swap the entire wiring from an AC’d XJ ( MJ Evap cores are different). There’s about a foot of AC wires on the engine side of the chassis harness before it terminates, these wires have nothing to connect to on the interior side of the c100/fuse block so it’s pretty worthless.

AC Parts List
Rock Auto
UAC EX9449C Expansion Valve $9.89

UAC HA11332C Suction Hose with muffler (compressor to evap) $27.79

UAC HA111331 Discharge Line (High Pressure: Compressor to Condenser $18.87

UAC RD9086C Drier $13.50

26758 Four seasons Oring set $5.69

Optional-ish
93024 Heater Core Spectra Premium 30.79

Jeepair.com
Cherokee Liquid Line Drier to Condenser 27-5551 1 $43.99

Cherokee Liquid Line Drier to Evaporator 27-5552 1 $39.99

Amazon
UAC EV 4177ATC A/C Evaporator Core 70.00
Spectra Premium 7-4173 A/C Condenser for Jeep Cherokee $77.57
Four Seasons 58580 Compressor with Clutch $175.00

RedTek oil $15
RedTek refrigerant (formerly known as R12A) $30.00

Total $529

• 2 years later...

Has anyone found a direct replacement evaporator for the dealer installed (1988/89) smaller evaporator?  Or one that will fit in the smaller box with newer fittings for a new  expansion valve?  PO pulled out most of original AC system. Trying to reinstall with all new if possible.  Evaporator is the only roadblock at this point.