turbo charging a 4.0

I did some searching on CC and could not find anyone that turbo charged a 4.0.. I know some people say is would not be ideal for a 4wd for off road use, but for street use i think it would do great for some extra go.. has anyone done or heard of someone doing that? and would the engine computer need to be "updated"?

Just a thought

thanks

A cheaper route might be optimizing your gear ratio(s) for performance, especially if you have changed your tire size. Stock, these things were noted for being pretty darn quick for their day. If one has slowed down due to high mileage, for example, you'd probably want to start with a fresh(er) engine before installing a power adder?

Of course, if someone just wants a turbo to have a turbo or a need for speed, none of this matters.

from 505: (no system for Renix)

Turbo System for 1991-1995

Price: $3,650.00

Q:"What kind of gas mileage will I get?

A:You can expect to see about a 10% loss in gas mileage." ,- I'd imagine that would change quickly of you were "spirited" in driving your new turbo rod 8)

I wonder if you could get about the same performance form a budget stroker rebuild? Their kits start at $1,450

well i was looking into a engine for my Red Comanche, I was going to get a re-maned engine V8 :brows: or a bored and stroked I6.. not really sure yet.. red does not have an engine right now so might as wall get a "new" one

The turbo thing i haven't seen many on our jeeps and was wondering if one of us has done it

I wonder if you could get about the same performance form a budget stroker rebuild? Their kits start at $1,450

Not a chance. I have the not really budget stroker (4.7). I've had enough turbo's that I can tell you know I think a turbo 4.0 would be better on the street than my stroker. Torque off the line is amazing in my stroker, but boost on a 4.0 would tear me up in 50-60 feet. My sheet should be producing about 280hp and 330ftlbs. The stroker is great for wheeling and pulling my friends rigs back to camp, but not so much for beating ricers.

So....guess maybe I should look into boosting my 4.7!!!! Now that could be fun.

So...My 2cents is turbo/or supercharger for street, stroker for wheeling.

junkyard axles with better gear ratio are by far the cheapest and easiest bang for your buck if you want better acceleration (especially if you have the 3.07s). instant seat of your pants difference. jamminz.gif