comanche of doom

Yer killing me ! Yer first post and only a pic , atleast throw in some stats on the truck and maybe a location in yer sig etc... it's a good looking truck and I love the paint scheme but we need more . Feel free to throw in an intro aswell .

Yer killing me ! Yer first post and only a pic , atleast throw in some stats on the truck and maybe a location in yer sig etc... it's a good looking truck and I love the paint scheme but we need more . Feel free to throw in an intro aswell .

I second that!!!

Sorry bout that guys just threw that up in a hurry . It's an '87 sport truck shortbed with the 4.0 and aw4/np231 . It was the usual geezer truck with a huge cap and little tires . It was a steal for $200 bucks and i kept it from being scrapped. Ran , shifted and stopped perfect without a single dent. First thing was first and bye bye went the cap. Next i tossed some 31"kelly trs's off my grand cherokee on for the time being. Then came the traditional fixing of the hole in the floor. The stock exhaust fell off while driving ,so that saved me from having cut it off. I made a new fully welded , custom exhaust with a stainless thrush muffler and a stainless tip. It looks awesome and sounds almost like a diesel . I then put my sound system in with all new pioneer 6 1/2" and 6"x9" speakers on all corners , an xplod deck and amp. I made a custom box and fit my 12"subs behind the seat.

The first comanche i owned was camo so i thought straight o.d. green was the next best thing . It took about 10 cans of green and five cans of flat black. This is where i must have huffed too much olive drab and started to plan my lift. I started in the back with a soa conversion. I made my own springs perches , cut the shock mounts to fit right, put in an extra leaf and clamped it all together with new u bolts. Much to my surprise , I ended up with 9" to 10" of lift. So of course i had to match the front and ordered the biggest springs that rusty's had to offer, the beefed out 9" lift coils. I wanted to long arm this truck but with a small budget thats going to have to wait . I went with rustys adjustable upper and lower extended control arms , track bar , and 3" drop pitman with rough country shocks . I ended up going with 35"x 12.50" bfg KM2's on 15" x 10" extreme steel " d window rims in black .

I threw it all together on a hot saturday and everything went together perfectly . It rides solid, straight and smooth. Even though it has 154,000 on the clock , it still has plenty of sack to move the 35's. It still needs a couple things like longer driveshaft yokes and extended sway bar links. I'd also like to make some custom bumpers and find a visor for it. Of course a winch ,lockers and dana 44's with 4.88's are down the road.

I will be posting more pictures as soon as i take them . I also must get the "before" pictures off my other computer. Thanks for your attention and compliments,

Dan from New York

• 5 weeks later...

Nice truck, but you will have one problem:

With the 35" tires your steering box will try (and possibly succeed) to pull the bolts through the frame rail. Add a 3" drop pitman arm for more leverage and it's an accident waiting to happen. Keep an eye on it, especially the bolt directly above the sway bar bushing, or reinforce that part of the frame with a piece of 3/16" steel to prevent it before it happens.

Other than that, is your truck just a looker, or are you planning to take it off road as well?

• 3 months later...