280ZX Hood Vents

JY picks, thinking about installing these to vent some under hood heat....

These are smaller than the regular 280 vents and about half the size of Lebaron vents, but I couldn't find either at the JY. Also, I'd have to cut additional slots on one of them, left side, to allow more air out. I think they'd look good painted and installed. Although I'm more concerned with effectiveness than looks.

5869718145_b39e6fc384_b.jpg

5870280414_1db454daed_b.jpg

Another pic I found with these on an XJ:

JY picks, thinking about installing these to vent some under hood heat....

These are smaller than the regular 280 vents and about half the size of Lebaron vents, but I couldn't find either at the JY. Also, I'd have to cut additional slots on one of them, left side, to allow more air out. I think they'd look good painted and installed. Although I'm more concerned with effectiveness than looks.

5870280414_1db454daed_b.jpg

I don't know if it's picture shadows or what, but those vents look like they will not allow much air flow due to the small overall hole size, especially the passenger side vent. Don't think they will do much good for you unless you can open them up with a Dremel or something. The reason I say this is because I tried some 98 ZJ hood vents w. bigger flow holes, and they really didn't help much, especially at crawling slow speeds in hot weather. Went to the cowl hood and that really did all I expected of it.

Vents5.jpg

You're right. They are kinda small, I'll get them on tomorrow, then I'll grind each of the slots open with a grinding disc. They're solid fiberglass and should give fairly clean cuts. I've got another 5.9 GC but it would just be mean to steal the vents off of it. I'd rather go that route because of the drip pans but this is all I've got and they cost me a whole 3 dollars.

Went ahead and slapped them on....I put the rest of this in the DIY section in case anyone else wants to take part in this tomfoolery.

I used some poster board to make a template of what I wanted to cut. These vents have three bolts in them but to use the bolts would have meant leaving about a 1/4" gap between the vents and the hood. They are recessed in a 280ZX. So I made an outline of just the outer lip and everything that hangs below would tuck below hood level.

5874188933_3e9515d670_b.jpg

5874749430_a335ff252b_b.jpg

5874194533_4cb31c445a_b.jpg

5874755572_7f7d216b66_b.jpg

I traced the outer edge of the vent then sorta eyeballed how much of the lip I wanted to be on top of the hood. About 3/4" from the outer edge. This was enough to slightly rotate the vent in the hole to get the angle right before screwing them to the hood. You could cut similar holes and fasten a bracket, just a straight piece of metal, and use the existing bolts to "sandwich" the vent onto the hood but I just used screws, still looks fairly clean if ya ask me.

5874201141_35746912fc_b.jpg

Best to do this during the heat of the day also. Your jeep will respect you more and break down less if it knows you are willing sacrifice your well being for its well being. :smart:

5874204355_d7b31ae20e_b.jpg

5874765812_a1884ec907_b.jpg

5874769018_c8c2239f8a_b.jpg

I used an angle grinder which doesn't make curved cuts all that well. I only made one template and just flipped it for the other side since the vents are mirrors of each other. Also don't pay attention to my measurements. They are approximately one Iphone length from the rear of the hood and one Iphone length from the center dent/stripe on the hood. I was trying to get them on each side of the valve cover as far as I could without having to cut the hood supports.

5874214121_28408d93fb_b.jpg

5874185687_e1cb75cc74_b.jpg

5874739728_702a24f87f_b.jpg

Done, the hardest part was getting the hood off and back on by myself.

Thanks guys. Those are bias ply Maxxis Creepy Crawlers. I run them at 8psi offroad and still can't get a good bulge. Run em at 20 psi on the street. I've tried them at 0 psi and still hardly a bulge and the freakin MJ weighs over 4500lbs. 4ply sidewalls.

Thanks guys. Those are bias ply Maxxis Creepy Crawlers. I run them at 8psi offroad and still can't get a good bulge. Run em at 20 psi on the street. I've tried them at 0 psi and still hardly a bulge and the freakin MJ weighs over 4500lbs. 4ply sidewalls.

Same with mine - they are great looking tires jamminz.gif .

Did you open up the hood vents? Maybe I missed it. :dunno:

Sorry Don, forgot those...

I thought they were fiberglass but they're ABS I believe. I only cut one side with a think grinding disc then trimmed the holes with my trusty benchmade auto opener. I only opened up one of them, the other with the larger opening I left alone.

5882188501_6188b14f07_b.jpg

5882191161_bc1c9f6367_b.jpg

Drove it 20 miles at about 100 degrees the other day. I could tell a big difference idling in traffic. Wheeling at low speed on a hot day will be the real test. But its tore apart right now and undrivable. I've got a bad driveline vibe I'm hoping its a u-joint, and there's a sensor or something robbing the engine of power. Trying to figure that out still. I'm going slow getting it done, being a puss actually, I just hate crawling underneath it because the yard is full of these freakin Texas crabgrass stickers.